Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
Nope, worked with a few private companies and one national lab. Always got paid for unused vacation days but never for sick days. Well, I don't know how they would pay for his "unlimited" sick days anyway... I know a teacher who also took up the early incentive and is now getting paid more than pre-retirement. Also, she's looking for another job... now we'll be paying for that early retirement pension and a salary?
Exactly.

Anyone who didn't feel super-entitled would be THRILLED to have unlimited sick days, not complain because they don't get paid for them (since an unlimited number is obviously not able to be calculated) at retirement.

I don't know anyone in private industry that gets UNLIMITED FULLY-PAID SICK DAYS.

I also find "banked" sick days to be very rare among private companies these days, and for those that have them, they are getting rid of them. My own company got rid of banking sick days last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
grant516

n/a posts
As I said- that's the good part of the Unlimited Sick days, teachers don't often take the time off- yet don't accrue days to cash out on.

Time offered/paid in many states must legally be paid out- if your job gives you 6 sick days in California, and you only use 2... and are laid off, they must pay you those remaining 4 days. This is why a lot of companies are now hurrying to shorten the length of time vacation or sick days can be banked- that allows within the law the ability for them to avoid major payouts.

That's the kind of thing that's very noble for a union to stand up against. Certain things were agreed to when members took the job, and poor management from the top or high executive salaries shouldn't change what was once considered fair rules for workplace employees.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
Nope, worked with a few private companies and one national lab. Always got paid for unused vacation days but never for sick days. Well, I don't know how they would pay for his "unlimited" sick days anyway... I know a teacher who also took up the early incentive and is now getting paid more than pre-retirement. Also, she's looking for another job... now we'll be paying for that early retirement pension and a salary?

No, I don't believe any teacher who just retired under the early retirement incentive could be making more in the pension than the FAS. Even if she got the max of 3 years credit added on, there is a cap on the %-age, something in the 80's I believe it was, that anyone could make for their pension.

If she's going to work in another public school, there will be a limit on how much she can earn in a year, she will not be able to earn a full salary.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Exactly.

Anyone who didn't feel super-entitled would be THRILLED to have unlimited sick days, not complain because they don't get paid for them (since an unlimited number is obviously not able to be calculated) at retirement.

I don't know anyone in private industry that gets UNLIMITED FULLY-PAID SICK DAYS.

I also find "banked" sick days to be very rare among private companies these days, and for those that have them, they are getting rid of them. My own company got rid of banking sick days last year.

Nowhere did I say anything about feeling super-entitled here. And my husband was rarely ever absent from his job - so his district made out very well with him in that regard. But I guess, as with any job, there are those who take advantage, but they certainly aren't in the majority. Some people have a conscience.

Banking days will be a thing that is going to start diminishing in teacher contracts - as I always say - if a school board is smart enough to negotiate that term. Sometimes they need someone to put that idea in their ear, as a means to save money down the road.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 PM

9 posts, read 7,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
As I said- that's the good part of the Unlimited Sick days, teachers don't often take the time off- yet don't accrue days to cash out on.

Time offered/paid in many states must legally be paid out- if your job gives you 6 sick days in California, and you only use 2... and are laid off, they must pay you those remaining 4 days. This is why a lot of companies are now hurrying to shorten the length of time vacation or sick days can be banked- that allows within the law the ability for them to avoid major payouts.

That's the kind of thing that's very noble for a union to stand up against. Certain things were agreed to when members took the job, and poor management from the top or high executive salaries shouldn't change what was once considered fair rules for workplace employees.
Not true - companies and municipalities must pay for accrued time. The difference btwn private and public sector is that the private sector has the pressures to put caps on the accrual max, and the public sector doesn't have the backbone to do it.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just facts please View Post
Not true - companies and municipalities must pay for accrued time. The difference btwn private and public sector is that the private sector has the pressures to put caps on the accrual max, and the public sector doesn't have the backbone to do it.
This is exactly what I said.

The only difference is me having a more optimistic outlook on the worker. I don't think it's a backbone that makes me people use up all their earned vacation time so they can implement a new system that allots no more than 10 days max.

I think it's call putting your profits first, which to me is disgusting when your Chief Officer is making 50x what their employees make.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 7,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
This is exactly what I said.

The only difference is me having a more optimistic outlook on the worker. I don't think it's a backbone that makes me people use up all their earned vacation time so they can implement a new system that allots no more than 10 days max.

I think it's call putting your profits first, which to me is disgusting when your Chief Officer is making 50x what their employees make.
Workers of the world unite! Now I see what you're about Go move to north korea..

Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just facts please View Post

The companies I have worked for put a cap on of about 200 hours for cashing out of leave, the federal government does the same. You cannot cash in acccrued sick leave in the federal government. Some of the Nassau County Unions have no cap and cash in several years of accrued vacation and sick leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island