Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:22 PM

128 posts, read 251,488 times

Advertisements

I have had enough of this. My school tax has doubled since 2004. My house continues to lose value year after year. These leeches have sucked every dollar of disposable income out of.our pockets. Why do we stand for this? Abolish the teachers union. Cut all admin salaries by 50%. Cut all teacher salaries 30%. Don't like it? Good bye. We have teachers and admin tripping over themselves to land one of these jobs. The schools have not improved one iota since 1990 yet we pay triple the cost for it. For what??? We need to draw a line in the sand here and now. The schools are good reason is not reason enough to overpay for it. They would be good anyway without the ten thousand $tax bill.
A little secret the schools don't want you to know........it's our kids that make the schools great.....not the other way around.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Firing them all sounds like a good start. I mean, Long Island is the only place where a school administrator makes as much as a Neurosurgeon.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
And also let the parents know that they are also responsible. I totally agree with firing the over staffed problem. Maybe a town hall meeting would be in order.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:10 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
I have had enough of this. My school tax has doubled since 2004. My house continues to lose value year after year. These leeches have sucked every dollar of disposable income out of.our pockets. Why do we stand for this? Abolish the teachers union. Cut all admin salaries by 50%. Cut all teacher salaries 30%. Don't like it? Good bye. We have teachers and admin tripping over themselves to land one of these jobs. The schools have not improved one iota since 1990 yet we pay triple the cost for it. For what??? We need to draw a line in the sand here and now. The schools are good reason is not reason enough to overpay for it. They would be good anyway without the ten thousand $tax bill.
A little secret the schools don't want you to know........it's our kids that make the schools great.....not the other way around.
What district?

Did you buy new at the time?

Crooks

Old 05-23-2012, 06:19 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
What a wonderful idea. Can't wait to hear your proposal on world peace.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
And also let the parents know that they are also responsible. I totally agree with firing the over staffed problem. Maybe a town hall meeting would be in order.
We already have them. They are called Board meetings and occur monthly. Totally agree with the comment on parents.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
So, let's say everybody shows up at the town hall meeting, now what?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:17 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
So, let's say everybody shows up at the town hall meeting, now what?
Then nothing. The only way to get pension reform is to go to your legislator about the issue, as these ridiculous benefits are guaranteed by state constitution. Waste of time to complain to the school board when their hands are tied.

Now negotiatiing contracts is another story. That you can come down on the board about. Good luck with that.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:32 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
We have teachers and admin tripping over themselves to land one of these jobs.
Actually not true, thanks to Albany complicity in the scam. Getting NYSED certification to be an administrator (especially business) takes a Master's PLUS another 36 credits, plus an internship and an exam. They really think they ARE neurosurgeons. School leaders need slightly fewer credits but 3 years teaching experience so they come from within the ranks and have no desire to change things. NYSED doesn't want Wall Streeters w/ MBAs coming into the field, they want Education hacks. Occasionaly a CPA w/ the tenacity to see it through the indoctrination joins the ranks, but they immediately fall into line under the Superintendents, getting those benefits and tenure inside 3 years.

There is a shortage of business officials. The retired ones go district to district as paid "interims" for one year at a time (can only do it for one year stretches at a time per law). No benefits, but contractually the pay is about $800/day!! Not too shabby for a temp and still a bargain compared to a full time admin at $250k+

Old 05-23-2012, 07:43 AM

305 posts, read 610,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
There is a shortage of business officials. The retired ones go district to district as paid "interims" for one year at a time (can only do it for one year stretches at a time per law). No benefits, but contractually the pay is about $800/day!! Not too shabby for a temp and still a bargain compared to a full time admin at $250k+
AKA Mr. Hunderfund, who by the way also collects a pension on top of his temp job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island