Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times

Advertisements

smash the proletariat!
stow the misenmast [sp?]!
free huey!
up with skirts, down with panties!
no tax on tea (-chers)!
beam us up, scotty!

rant on!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,273,223 times
Default Fire all the COs!

I have had enough of this. My rent has gone up twice since 2008, an extra $40 a month each time. My parking space continues to lose value year after year. These leeches have sucked every dollar of disposable income out of our pockets. Why do we stand for this? Abolish the CO union. Cut all admin salaries by 50%. Cut all CO salaries 30%. Don't like it? Good bye. We have newjacks tripping over themselves to land one of these jobs. The jails have not improved and suicides and lawsuits have not gone down since we privatized health care there, yet we pay triple the cost for it. For what??? We need to draw a line in the sand here and now. Crime and punishment are not reason enough to pay for it. Jails would be good anyway without the ten thousand $tax bill.

A little secret the jails don't want you to know........it's the inmates that make the jails great.....not the other way around.

(Hey, I had to beat you to the punch.)

Old 05-23-2012, 11:50 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,355 times
Most intelligent states now out-source corrections. Why overpay glorified security guards, ie: wannabee cops, when you can hire an outside company that knows how to professionally run a corrections institute for a whole lot less.

Privatization is the only way to go with gubment services.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
So if personnel are laid off due to decreasing enrollments union seniority rules will dictate that the last in are released first? Teachers that may have been evaluated as less than effective or are in areas that are no longer needed are retained because of seniority? What a crock of ...... A really great motivator that the unions don't mention when trying to establish themselves in new areas....
That's no different than the private sector, where the last one hired is the first one fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
You're right, believe me, I have a bunch of friends who have already lost their jobs, including my fiance...But I think teacher lay offs could be prevented if those at the very top took a pay cut to save the jobs of their fellow co-workers at the bottom. They always cut the young ones from the bottom b/c they're not tenured and they're easily disposable. Honestly, the cuts should really start at the top.
That doesn't happen in the private sector. It's always the new ones and the rank and file who get shafted while the ones at the top preserve their self-interest. Why would this be any different?

I do agree in theory, however, and I do feel that there is absolutely no earthly good reason that school administrators should make the obscene amounts the ones on Long Island do.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Most intelligent states now out-source corrections. Why overpay glorified security guards, ie: wannabee cops, when you can hire an outside company that knows how to professionally run a corrections institute for a whole lot less.

Privatization is the only way to go with gubment services.
And the state of Virginia thanks you for your buisness!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:

And the state of Virginia thanks you for your buisness!
You might want to check your facts.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
So if personnel are laid off due to decreasing enrollments union seniority rules will dictate that the last in are released first? Teachers that may have been evaluated as less than effective or are in areas that are no longer needed are retained because of seniority? What a crock of ...... A really great motivator that the unions don't mention when trying to establish themselves in new areas....
Are they trying to get in in your area?

Don't let it happen!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
I'd like to see a pie chart of this
You'd have to include a pie chart of where sales tax is spent also, as chunks of that also go to police and corrections under "public safety" (23%, 616M) and also to education (7%, 180M) according to the 2011 operating budget.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:55 PM

239 posts, read 509,546 times
The tax increases have little to do with after school actives and programs. Heck I don't think it's salaries so much (at least teacher salaries, probably administrator salaries). I think it's the inclusion curriculum. Several years go if someone had a learning disability they would meet during the school day with the special education teacher in a group. Now with the new laws everything has to be inclusion from elementary to high school. Many elementary classes are co-taught with one regular teacher and one special education teacher. My friend who just got a part-time leave replacement job in a high school (and she only makes $25K, so not all teachers make a good salary) told me that almost all high school classes are being co-taught by a subject teacher and special education teacher. Instead of taking the kids out of class everything is co-taught with a special education teacher that way those children are getting help in the classroom rather than outside. According to my friend, co-teaching costs a lot of money for school districts. Now people are having kids later in life, and when you have kids later in life the chance of having a child with a learning disability or disorder increases greatly, so the need for inclusion will always be there.

As I stated in the other thread I think another factor is the New York State Government. New York State is very hostile to the private sector. It's not just about teachers and cops salaries its a matter of public vs. private. Unless you work in healthcare or a high end Manhattan business most private sector salaries are peanuts in NYS compared to the public sector. People downstate don't understand how much corruption goes on in the NYS government. It's not just Long Island that has high property taxes but Upstate does too (although not as high as Long Island). IMO it's almost like the New York State government is giving the message "work in public sector or else you'll get nothing out of the high taxes and have a mediocre salary if you work in the private sector." Sounds strange but I'm starting to believe it's somewhat true. New York is socially progressive but not economically, and state government just seems to be hostile to ever having a good private business economy.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM

239 posts, read 509,546 times
Also, schools are using smartboards (it's basically a computerized, interactive white board) instead of chalkboards and dry-erase boards. Ipads are becoming popular among students and apparently some districts are going to provide ipads to all their students in the near future. While the use of technology has made our lives more convenient, it makes things much more expensive whether it's school taxes or health insurance. Obviously the more technology used in schools the more it's going to cost, and that payment comes from taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island