Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
It's not about being flashy, and a 4+ bedroom house with a big kitchen doesn't have to be a McMansion. I just don't prefer the older, smaller housing stock on most of Long Island. If you go outside Long Island you'll find many suburbs container newer housing stock consisting of modern colonials that are designed more spaciously. My cousin and his wife recently bought a 10 year old, 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom, large kitchen with an island house with a pool outside Tampa for less than $300K. If you can find that here it would be $700K+ depending what town you live in. It doesn't make sense. My friend has been house hunting in the suburbs of Denver and almost all the houses were built in the last 10-15 years with a decent size property. He found a nice house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms for less than $350K. It's not about having a big house, Long Island houses need to be priced at what's appropriate compared to what you can get in other metro areas. I don't see why anyone would stay here when you can get a newer, bigger house somewhere else with lower property taxes and overall lower COL in general.
NY isnt the only expensive metro area (see san francisco, san diego, los angeles, seattle) and you will see housing costs just as if not more expensive in some cases. Yes Florida is dirt cheap, my sister just bought a 10 year old house down there for 175k. But you couldnt pay me to ever move back there. Having a nice big mcmansion isnt everything.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
The home we are buying in Pittsburgh is not huge ; its about 2,000 sq ft, 4 beds, 2 1/2 baths on 1.2 acres for $245,000 and taxes are about $6000 with a finished basement.
Now anyone guess what that size house, land would cost here in a great school district??

Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 PM

239 posts, read 509,546 times
That's funny apparently indeed.com says that the average teacher salary on LI is $48,000. Unless this is skewed by including private school teacher salaries as well.

Teacher Salary in Long Island, NY | Indeed.com

If you stratify by town, you'll see teacher salaries vary by school district.

For example, Jericho the average salary is $72,000 (28% higher than the national average salary)
http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Teac...=jericho%2C+ny

But in Middle Island the average salary is $51,000 (10% lower than the national average salary)
http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Teac...e+island%2C+ny

So obviously teacher salaries vary by school district. It's not just teacher salaries that are contributing to the high taxes on LI.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,897 times
I just don't get it. If people are soooo miserable with LI taxes, why don't they move? Is LI Teabagger going to complain for the next 50 years? OR is he going to pack his bags, sell the home, and MOVE? It's common sense to me. Less than $200k and you could easily be living large in NC or FL....Why be miserable and stay in NY and pay these absurd taxes?

AND YET, he's not going anywhere. I've heard Nassau residents complaining about the taxes since I was a kid in the 70s. Wah - wah - wah!!!!! It's sooooo annoying.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I just don't get it. If people are soooo miserable with LI taxes, why don't they move? Is LI Teabagger going to complain for the next 50 years? OR is he going to pack his bags, sell the home, and MOVE? It's common sense to me. Less than $200k and you could easily be living large in NC or FL....Why be miserable and stay in NY and pay these absurd taxes?

AND YET, he's not going anywhere. I've heard Nassau residents complaining about the taxes since I was a kid in the 70s. Wah - wah - wah!!!!! It's sooooo annoying.
I agree I think all the people on these boards are just too poor to afford to Long Island or like to complain. If you don't want to struggle with money and paying high taxes then go into a profession that pays well like a doctor, pharmacist, research scientist, or CPA. I'm tired of these under-compensated private sector workers complaining about taxes.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post

Lol! Great post!

JCNNY you need to add police and teacher to the doctor, lawyer etc list.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Lol! Great post!

JCNNY you need to add police and teacher to the doctor, lawyer etc list.
The average cop and teacher salary on LI is no where near as much as what a doctor, pharmacist, research scientist, dentist, or CPA working for a reputable accounting firm makes. A lot of lawyers don't make as much as you think and now it's harder to come across good law jobs these days because there are too many lawyers in the Northeast and not enough jobs.

It's funny because I don't hear people complain that doctors, pharmacists, research scientists salaries are too high because their health insurance costs too much. But I guess people rather pay six figure higher salaries to doctors than teachers. I'm a junior research scientist and I think anyone who works in service (e.g. cops, teachers) should get paid a high salary because it's a helping profession.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The average cop and teacher salary on LI is no where near as much as what a doctor, pharmacist, research scientist, dentist, or CPA working for a reputable accounting firm makes. A lot of lawyers don't make as much as you think and now it's harder to come across good law jobs these days because there are too many lawyers in the Northeast and not enough jobs.

It's funny because I don't hear people complain that doctors, pharmacists, research scientists salaries are too high because their health insurance costs too much. But I guess people rather pay six figure higher salaries to doctors than teachers. I'm a junior research scientist and I think anyone who works in service (e.g. cops, teachers) should get paid a high salary because it's a helping profession.
JCNNY I actually agree 100%, was actually being sarcastic in the face of the constant police/teacher bashing on this forum.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
JCNNY I actually agree 100%, was actually being sarcastic in the face of the constant police/teacher bashing on this forum.
I don't always pick up sarcasm right away sometimes so I apologize.

But yes I am tired of these poor, under-compensated, private sector workers complaining how property taxes are too high. What is next? Saying doctor/pharmacist/research scientist salaries should be cut because their health insurance costs too much?

Cops, teachers, firefighters, doctors, pharmacists, researchers, are all helping professions and IMO deserve their high salaries. No way should some video game marketer or manager of a fast food joint should ever make as much money as helping profession.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
I don't always pick up sarcasm right away sometimes so I apologize.

But yes I am tired of these poor, under-compensated, private sector workers complaining how property taxes are too high. What is next? Saying doctor/pharmacist/research scientist salaries should be cut because their health insurance costs too much?

Cops, teachers, firefighters, doctors, pharmacists, researchers, are all helping professions and IMO deserve their high salaries. No way should some video game marketer or manager of a fast food joint should ever make as much money as helping profession.
And yet Long Island seems to be the exception seeing how most places in the country seem to have those same professionals working for costs more relative to median incomes of the area. Only on LI do you see teachers and police running around with near or exceeding entire household incomes.

Further, your analysis is completely ignorant of the facts. Doctors and other medical professionals have been sitting somewhere around or under inflationary costs since the 80's, not so with our vaunted public-sector golden cows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island