Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
If what you write is correct, then there seems to be only one way to stop this insanity:

Each school district should lay off all their administrators and all their faculty, sell all the school buildings and give each student in the district money to attend a school district, public or private, of their choice. That would reduce the annual school property tax bill for sure.

After laying off all the administrators and all the teachers and selling all the school buildings and most other school district property, the school district would no longer be an operating school district and would simply be a mechanism for collecting (reduced) property taxes and passing these funds as vouchers to the students in the district to use at a private school or at another still existing gov't school in districts that did not lay off their teachers and sell their buildings.

Newly formed private schools will bid for many of the school buildings that the school district will be liquidating and they will interview and hire many of the teachers laid off by the school district, but at a much more rational salary and benefits package.

Sorry to burst your bubble again, but this is not doable either. In fact, you'd have to be changing the NYS Constitution regarding education, as well as all the laws connected to public education in NYS. Actually, at least here in Suffolk, the townships collect the school taxes for the districts, as they are included in with the other property taxes.

I've seen the same suggestions as you've written here in other forums, and I tell them the same thing. Unless the state changes the rules for public education, individual districts are pretty much powerless to do it on their own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 02:25 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble again, but this is not doable either. In fact, you'd have to be changing the NYS Constitution regarding education, as well as all the laws connected to public education in NYS.
Please provide the specific parts of the NYS Constitution and NYS education laws that you believe would prevent a school district from laying off all the administrators and all the teachers and selling all the school buildings and most other school district property, and then becoming a mechanism for receiving property taxes and passing these property tax funds as vouchers to the students in the district to use at a private school or at another still existing gov't school in districts that did not lay off their teachers and sell their buildings.

Bear in mind, there are school districts that do not have high schools and contract and pay to send their high school students to one or more other school districts that do have high schools.

Quote:
Actually, at least here in Suffolk, the townships collect the school taxes for the districts, as they are included in with the other property taxes.
The towns, not townships (there are no townships in NYS) collect school property taxes and hands these tax collections directly over to the respective school districts, with absolutely no control over how the school district decides to use these property tax funds.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,358 times
I suggest you start by reading the Education Laws of NY:

Laws of New York

Perhaps this will give you an idea of the complexity of the laws regarding our public schools, and the fact that NYS must provide a free and public education to all children over 5 and under 21.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
... NYS must provide a free and public education to all children over 5 and under 21.
That's exactly what a school district would be doing by paying the tuition at a private school or other gov't school where the parents/guardian decides to send their child/children.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
California: Top pay for a kindergarden teacher: over $96K + benefits and a 9-month work schedule.

We can't afford to fix the streets, and many teachers got laid off--but those at the top keep their insane salaries.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
grant516

n/a posts
I'd love for my tax dollars to go for another parent to send their kid to a religious school where they learn mumbo jumbo about gods, and adam & eve taming dinosaurs so they can ride them to lands of milk & honey & virgins and fly a 747 into my garage.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
California: Top pay for a kindergarden teacher: over $96K + benefits and a 9-month work schedule.

We can't afford to fix the streets, and many teachers got laid off--but those at the top keep their insane salaries.
Reading about California always makes me feel things are not that bad in NY. Most of the layoffs are teachers in poor performing, low income schools because they have the least amount of tenure in the pecking order as teachers tend not to stay very long.Those of course are the schools that need experienced teachers the most.

By the way my district has at least 2 kindergarten teachers making over $100,000 and contract is for 185 days.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I'd love for my tax dollars to go for another parent to send their kid to a religious school where they learn mumbo jumbo about gods, and adam & eve taming dinosaurs so they can ride them to lands of milk & honey & virgins and fly a 747 into my garage.
Excellent reasoning for eliminating all tax supported gov't schools.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Excellent reasoning for eliminating all tax supported gov't schools.

Great idea, throw the baby out with the bathwater, destroy the public school system because you don't like your tax bill.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Great idea, throw the baby out with the bathwater, destroy the public school system because you don't like your tax bill.
No, it's more because I do not like the secular-progressive-liberal leftist ideology that infests the gov't school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island