Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 AM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

It's the norm- but the expenses shouldn't be that out of control.

I work with Museum programs and we give major discounts to student groups- maybe 75% what it would cost the public.

I remember being in school and getting permission slips and checks for like $30 dollars but to see things like Broadway Shows and go to the Museum of Natural history (which is normally $20).

As for the costumes- I'd imagine a big part of being a parent is to provide those kind of things for kids- like a backpack for school, and lunch on a daily basis.
I'd start getting curious when the kids are asked to bring in light bulbs, or paper towels or whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM

48 posts, read 76,400 times
seeing as most families replied yes I did some research (made a phone call). It is against the law to charge for a field trip in a public school as long as the curriculum can be incorporated into the trip.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsay View Post
seeing as most families replied yes I did some research (made a phone call). It is against the law to charge for a field trip in a public school as long as the curriculum can be incorporated into the trip.
If this is correct, then School Districts everywhere have been violating this law for decades! In the 50's I was paying for Field Trips & had to provide costumes for plays. Likewise, in the 80's & 90's was doing the same for My kids.
Multiple States.
I recall some kids who could not afford it, and a times the teachers would kick in a little, or the school had a fund collected from donations to help out those kids.

WHo told you this? Was it the DA's office?
What law were these schools violating?
And what is the prescribed punishment or remedy?
If a law makes something illegal, it also sets forth how to punish the violators.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM

48 posts, read 76,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
If this is correct, then School Districts everywhere have been violating this law for decades! In the 50's I was paying for Field Trips & had to provide costumes for plays. Likewise, in the 80's & 90's was doing the same for My kids.
Multiple States.
I recall some kids who could not afford it, and a times the teachers would kick in a little, or the school had a fund collected from donations to help out those kids.

WHo told you this? Was it the DA's office?
What law were these schools violating?
And what is the prescribed punishment or remedy?
If a law makes something illegal, it also sets forth how to punish the violators.

This information was given to me by a good friend who happens to be an attorney at a large LI firm that specializes in education law. Judging by the responses here it seems to be one of those laws that are simply ignored by an industry based on the fact that everyone seems to do it. At least that's my opinion.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
When we lived on LI we always paid for field trips. Plus parents were NOT ALLOWED on the bus. If you chaperoned, you had to get there yourself.

Here in VT we have not had to pay for any field trips. Of course they stopped doing them recently thanks to budget cuts and so on. I was surprised when my son was in 4th grade and we didn't have to shell out any $$. Also you as a chaperon do not have to pay and you can ride the bus.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Same here GypsySoul22...I was raised in Pennsylvania and we never paid for field trips. Guess its a LI thing?

Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Same here GypsySoul22...I was raised in Pennsylvania and we never paid for field trips. Guess its a LI thing?
Sadly it's all about $$$.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
8000 doesent buy 5000 anymore.
We always chipped in for field trips.

You want petting zoos on the backs of the taxpayers too?

We should export whining instead of wine.

Crooks

Old 06-03-2010, 12:20 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Why should you NOT pay for field trips? If it is not part of the general education, I think you should pay for field trips.

Education is free, field trips arent.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,369 times
I attended school on LI in the late 70s through the 80s. I seem to recall that we always had to pay for trips. Field trips are not a requirement- they are meant to enhance the educational experience. So I can see why they might not be in a budget- though if the kids use district buses, I'd assume there are costs involved with that, which would come out of a district's budget?

I teach in the city and there are many trips that are free- but when there is a fee, the kids pay it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: