Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Here's a couple of homes that are now considerably down below housing bubble prices and are centrally located in a middle-class area of Nassau.

Certainly these should be affordable and attractive, at least to first-time buyers ... right?

4BR/2BA handyman special with potential:

ML#: 2295808
Ranch, Detached, # Families: 1
6.0 rooms, 4 Bedrooms , 2 Full Baths
Year Built: 1948
Lot Size: 60 X 100
List Price: $216,500

In much nicer condition than house above:

ML#: 2293550
Colonial, Detached, # Families: 1
7.0 rooms, 3 Bedrooms , 2 Full Baths
Year Built: 1952
List Price: $257,400

Both have verbiage in their listing that hint at being bank owned (buyer to pay transfer tax; sold as is).

Why do you think they are probably bank owned?

Why do you think they are being listed so low in Nassau?

Why are they even on MLSLI instead of having been snapped up a long time ago?

Spoiler
ML#: 2295808 current property taxes = $10,444
ML#: 2293550 current property taxes = $11,276

Here's the meme:

Out-of-Control and Constantly Rising Property Taxes Can and Do Make "Affordable" Homes Unaffordable and/or Unattractive to Buyers

The lesson of this story: The "good school districts of LI" will not always "keep home values up" if they become too expensive in terms of property taxes for the type of house you are going to get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 03:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Here's a couple of homes that are now considerably down below housing bubble prices and are centrally located in a middle-class area of Nassau.

Certainly these should be affordable and attractive, at least to first-time buyers ... right?

Both have verbiage in their listing that hint at being bank owned (buyer to pay transfer tax; sold as is).

Spoiler

Here's the meme:

Out-of-Control and Constantly Rising Property Taxes Can and Do Make "Affordable" Homes Unaffordable and/or Unattractive to Buyers

The lesson of this story: The "good school districts of LI" will not always "keep home values up" if they become too expensive in terms of property taxes for the type of house you are going to get!
hey how did you do that spoiler thing? That's cool.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-05-2010, 05:42 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Sign o' the times. Things are going to get much worse before they get better... buckle up!

Maybe once something hits 60 years old it's either "historical" or a potential knock down. $200k in Nassau has to be approaching land value, no?

Old 06-05-2010, 05:51 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
$200k in Nassau has to be approaching land value, no?
These houses are in Levittown; land value $200K?? NO WAY

Old 06-05-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:

They are owned by the lender. Goes back to one of my previous posts - the result of the lender trying to "sell at the steps" and not finding a buyer.
Doesn't matter that's it's in Nassau - that's all they're worth because of the condition--maybe even less.
It says "as-is", so no warranty that anything works, whether appliances (if any) or that plumbing is functioning (often previous owner or tenants have "salvaged" some of the copper plumbing before leaving), or that the roof keeps the water out, etc., etc. What is listed in remarks for Agents is the fact that financing is either "cash" or "rehab loan", because the house doesn't qualify for a regular mortgage - house is not habitable in its present condition. Cash is simple enough if you have it; a rehab (or 203k) loan is an FHA loan - the buyer has to qualify for the purchase price PLUS the cost of fixing it up, and the repairs MUST be done by outside professionals--no do-it-yourselfers. So you have to qualify for a lot more than the $200K...

Also, Levitt houses don't have basements and mostly no garage, usually 60x100. So you're buying a house for $200K, pay ALL closing costs, including transfer tax which is normally paid by the seller, and then the payments for fixing it starts... new kitchen, bath(s), floors, etc. etc. Adds up to substantial amount and you can buy non as-is houses in Levittown in the mid 300s (shopping with a buyer right now). Taxes can be around 10K... not the bargain it seems when you first see it.

Oh, and REO's (bank owned properties) always get listed on MLS - the lender wants to get as much as possible and that's the commonly practiced method to make sure they do.

Hope this helps

Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
These houses are in Levittown; land value $200K?? NO WAY
oops - I shoulda looked. heh

But didn't the Levit houses peak very high anyway?

60x100 is not that bad a plot size for Nassau.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
They are owned by the lender. Goes back to one of my previous posts - the result of the lender trying to "sell at the steps" and not finding a buyer.
Doesn't matter that's it's in Nassau - that's all they're worth because of the condition--maybe even less.
It says "as-is", so no warranty that anything works, whether appliances (if any) or that plumbing is functioning (often previous owner or tenants have "salvaged" some of the copper plumbing before leaving), or that the roof keeps the water out, etc., etc. What is listed in remarks for Agents is the fact that financing is either "cash" or "rehab loan", because the house doesn't qualify for a regular mortgage - house is not habitable in its present condition. Cash is simple enough if you have it; a rehab (or 203k) loan is an FHA loan - the buyer has to qualify for the purchase price PLUS the cost of fixing it up, and the repairs MUST be done by outside professionals--no do-it-yourselfers. So you have to qualify for a lot more than the $200K...

Also, Levitt houses don't have basements and mostly no garage, usually 60x100. So you're buying a house for $200K, pay ALL closing costs, including transfer tax which is normally paid by the seller, and then the payments for fixing it starts... new kitchen, bath(s), floors, etc. etc. Adds up to substantial amount and you can buy non as-is houses in Levittown in the mid 300s (shopping with a buyer right now). Taxes can be around 10K... not the bargain it seems when you first see it.

Oh, and REO's (bank owned properties) always get listed on MLS - the lender wants to get as much as possible and that's the commonly practiced method to make sure they do.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info. Are both houses rehab or just the first one? The second one had pics that seemed like someone had done upgrades.

Actually, though I am not looking to buy either one of these houses.

I am noting that the property taxes are INSANE for what you are getting here and that is probably a contributing factor as to why these homes are bank owned and why they are priced this low (especially the 2nd home, which looked a lot better than the first one). I think in these cases the tipping point has been reached where the property taxes make an otherwise "affordable" home unsaleable in contrast to those people who think that "as long as the schools on LI are good" it doesn't matter how high the property taxes go because their homes will always rise in value also.

How much more room is there for property taxes to continuously rise on LI when homes like this have taxes in the five figures?

Quote:

Here's the meme:

Old 06-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
oops - I shoulda looked. heh

But didn't the Levit houses peak very high anyway?

60x100 is not that bad a plot size for Nassau.
Mikey, don't tell me you are going to run back to LI for one of these houses!!

Problem is, what do you think your property taxes will be for one of these in as little as five years?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Actually, it's my understanding that this isn't necessarily true across the board... Many REOs fall into a shadow inventory category where banks will sit on properties to not blow up an entire area with distressed properties being sold at crazy discount. It's in the bank's best interest to keep values propped up. I don't know how rampant this is on LI, but it's certainly a major consideration down here.

Quote:
Mikey, don't tell me you are going to run back to LI for one of these houses!!

Problem is, what do you think your property taxes will be for one of these in as little as five years?
haha - even if I thought about it, I'm a Suffolk boy! I'm really curious to see how values fair into the Fall/Winter... I'm guessing that properties like this are the tip of the iceberg.

Since the NYC metro will begin its recovery long before the transplant meccas, I'll be continually keeping my eye on MLSLI as a gauge.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Actually, it's my understanding that this isn't necessarily true across the board... Many REOs fall into a shadow inventory category where banks will sit on properties to not blow up an entire area with distressed properties being sold at crazy discount. It's in the bank's best interest to keep values propped up. I don't know how rampant this is on LI, but it's certainly a major consideration down here.

I'm sure some of that happens on Long Island as well, though possibly not as much. Nonetheless, once the lender stops "sitting on it" it will get listed on MLS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island