Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:52 AM

100 posts, read 128,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LArenter View Post
SpongeBob isn't real?

John and Ken can be annoying, but they also aren't afraid to confront the unions and politician who are wasting our tax dollars. Personally, I listen to Bill Handel in the morning.. he's a pretty funny man.
Always amused by the outrage brought on by anyone in media who speaks out of the mainstream.

I mean, on the one hand (progressively speaking) you've got your CBS/Viacom, your Universal/NBC CNBCMSNBC and their multilingual Comcast cable empire, your Disney/ABC global empire, your Turner/CNN global empire and all they begat. This would be the mainstream electronic media, always has been.

Then, on the other hand, you've got your Fox, noisy and in your face, but, compared to everyone else, small beer, bandwidth-wise.

You also have your AM radio band, dominated these days by what is called conservative talk radio, middle aged white guys like Beck, Hannity, Savage, and Limbaugh. And the likes of Ken and Bob who, shall we say, aren't exactly pandering to the JPL coffee break crowd. What they are going after, after all, are all of those middle class white people who are stuck on the freeway, driving home to the suburbs after having spent another work day grinding out a living. Horrors!!

When you think of it, can it be much worse than the millions who sit home all day and watch Whoopi and Oprah, (and now Rosie, again), put their spin on things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 PM

248 posts, read 310,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldBear View Post
Always amused by the outrage brought on by anyone in media who speaks out of the mainstream.

I mean, on the one hand (progressively speaking) you've got your CBS/Viacom, your Universal/NBC CNBCMSNBC and their multilingual Comcast cable empire, your Disney/ABC global empire, your Turner/CNN global empire and all they begat. This would be the mainstream electronic media, always has been.

Then, on the other hand, you've got your Fox, noisy and in your face, but, compared to everyone else, small beer, bandwidth-wise.

You also have your AM radio band, dominated these days by what is called conservative talk radio, middle aged white guys like Beck, Hannity, Savage, and Limbaugh. And the likes of Ken and Bob who, shall we say, aren't exactly pandering to the JPL coffee break crowd. What they are going after, after all, are all of those middle class white people who are stuck on the freeway, driving home to the suburbs after having spent another work day grinding out a living. Horrors!!

When you think of it, can it be much worse than the millions who sit home all day and watch Whoopi and Oprah, (and now Rosie, again), put their spin on things?
By no stretch of the imagination could CBS, CNN, ABC and NBC be called progressive.

If you want to be informed you're better off staying away from cable news and talk radio altogether. The most misinformed people I know get all their news from cable and talk radio.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
If those two KFI loudmouths ever find out about an illegal alien, who belongs to a public employees' union, AND who is a child molester- do you think their heads would explode?
I love those guys. They keep us aware of what's going on in our city and region.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Listen to NPR and get an education. Stop wasting your time getting brain washed.
There's nothing wrong with listening to both.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 AM

100 posts, read 128,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
By no stretch of the imagination could CBS, CNN, ABC and NBC be called progressive.

If you want to be informed you're better off staying away from cable news and talk radio altogether. The most misinformed people I know get all their news from cable and talk radio.

First, there is no way that I personally would characterize the mainstream electronic media as progressive . . . however, I do detect a strong liberal bias as well as a dismissive attitude of most living in "the fly over states" from all of those reporters reporting from New York, Washington, and Los Angeles. This has been the case since the Cronkite, Huntley-Brinkley, Macneil-Lehrer, Chancellor era ended and news readers were put in place to appeal to younger viewers. Thus, my tongue in cheek description of the networks and their talent as “progressive”, a label embraced by the likes of Cooper, Couric, Cuomo and Curry as well as Williams and Lauer as they all work hard to appear unbiased but still hip to what's up. So to speak.

Second, I turn on the radio for the same reason I did when I was a kid. Entertainment. Little now in the way of music I am willing to listen to from most terrestrial stations. While I do miss the old LA FM stations sorely, the current talk radio talent can be pretty amusing, sometimes on purpose.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:58 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
I listen to KPCC, a public radio station. Which offers very unbiased news and information.
They actually do reporting, and investigative journalism on a local level.

Public Stations such KPCC buy their national/international programming from NPR, Public Radio International (PRI) and the BBC
These groups offer reporting, and investigative journalism on a nationa/international level.

Very far removed from the wacky punditry of MSNBC, FOX and conservative talk radio (liberal talk radio is so far off the radar that only a few people listen to it (Pacifica Radio).

Public radio also has some pretty interesting human interest programming.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:59 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
I'm tuned into KFI listening almost 24/7.

It's the only station in Los Angeles, to get real news.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:12 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I'm tuned into KFI listening almost 24/7.

It's the only station in Los Angeles, to get real news.
Sorry I disagree. KFI has too many commercials. KNX 1070 is a far better news source without the fluff and bias.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:27 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Sorry I disagree. KFI has too many commercials. KNX 1070 is a far better news source without the fluff and bias.
The fluff and their personal opinions is what makes it awesome!

Old 07-11-2014, 01:44 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
John and Ken are not right wing or conservatives. They are all over the political band. Populist would be perhaps a more accurate label, focusing mostly on state and local issues rather than national ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles