Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 11:14 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
One possibility may be the relative level % of home ownership. The neighborhood that has more homeowners - who have a stake in their area - and those who know their neighbors well, is likely to be better maintained and stable, than an area that is more transient, has relatively more newcomers.
I can see that as an explanation, but I still don't understand the mentality of taking less care of a place because one is renting instead of owning/buying. My parents always owned their homes, but so far I have always rented because I didn't want to be tied down by a mortgage. But I was always taught that you should take even BETTER care of something that another has allowed you to use or borrow. If my parents had ever witnessed any of their children being disrespectful to another's property they would have been ashamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I can see that as an explanation, but I still don't understand the mentality of taking less care of a place because one is renting instead of owning/buying. My parents always owned their homes, but so far I have always rented because I didn't want to be tied down by a mortgage. But I was always taught that you should take even BETTER care of something that another has allowed you to use or borrow. If my parents had ever witnessed any of their children being disrespectful to another's property they would have been ashamed.
It isn't just that - it's whether the residents feel they have a stake in the community. As I've said, people who are newly arrived or have not been in a community long enough are unlikely to have formed bonds or relationships with their neighbors in the area, and consequently, may not have the mentality of long term stakeholders. Generally, when you have longer-term residents and a stable community, folks are more likely to watch out for each other, take pride in their community----which are all positive factors in increasing public safety, area maintenance, etc.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
It isn't just that - it's whether the residents feel they have a stake in the community. As I've said, people who are newly arrived or have not been in a community long enough are unlikely to have formed bonds or relationships with their neighbors in the area, and consequently, may not have the mentality of long term stakeholders. Generally, when you have longer-term residents and a stable community, folks are more likely to watch out for each other, take pride in their community----which are all positive factors in increasing public safety, area maintenance, etc.
But could it also be said that if you aren't willing to keep up the property you reside in, then the more established neighbors will feel less inclined to welcome you to the neighborhood? They might feel resentful that someone who trashes the home they live in are lowering property values. This in turn makes them want to drive out that particular resident.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:46 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwatch View Post
I am Hispanic and used to live in Los Angeles. The one thing that really got my skin crawling of anger when I lived there was when people generalized neighborhoods by their ethnic make up especially neighborhoods who have a predominantly Hispanic population. I understand when people say South Central Los Angeles, Huntington Park, parts of South Gate, Bell, all predominantly Hispanic neighborhoods, are bad areas because they are relatively speaking. But when people say Downey, Montebello, Whittier, the San Gabriel Valley are ghetto-I think they might be thinking that any neighborhood that is predominantly Hispanic is ghetto or "bad"--when that is not the case with these neighborhoods. Many Hispanic accountants, lawyers, teachers, firefighters, police officers, and business owners live in these areas. I can even say some folks label predominantly African American neighborhoods like Baldwin Hills as ghetto when it is clearly not one. From my experience most folks that label these neighborhoods as "bad" happened to be "white." White people seem to think that the only good areas in Los Angeles have to be predominantly "white" to be considered a good/decent neighborhood-which is not true. Most white people are afraid of walking in brown and black neighborhoods that are middle class so they just simply label it a ghetto due to that fear. If I am wrong about this please correct me. Thanks

As a side note-My wife and I both make over 150k a year and are already set for retirement at the age of 38. We both have college degrees. I have several friends that are Hispanic and earn similar salaries/or businesses living throughout all these predominantly Hispanic neighborhoods. The reason I reveal this is so the reader will not think I am some "cholo" who lives with 10 other people in a 1 bedroom apartment.
I'm white (caucasian, maybe thats more politically correct, lol). I dont think the only good areas have to be "White". I think people of *all colors* think in terms of safety and assimilation before going somewhere.

A lot "good neighborhoods" in LA are persian, middle eastern, armenian, asian. Look at beverly hills or century city. Unless you live in isolation, its almost impossible not to have friends (real life or online) who are of a different ethnicity than you.

I think LA is the most mixed major city in America. Go to the grove or the beach or anywhere, and you'll see people of all colors.

"Ghetto" is a living standard. It has to do with housing and property upkeep (boarded up windows or normal?). Trash or lack thereof on the street. The kind of people walking around. If there's 8 drunks on every block lying on the street with boarded up windows and stores behind them... it's tilting towards ghetto. Ghetto has to do more with maintance I think. There can be white ghettos.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,464 times
100% true! Understand,White people see any neighborhood that is not 60- 70 % white as bad.
white people are only comfortable living in areas where they are the majority.
If not then as they see it it must be a "Bad" area why else are there not more white people there???

It's just their nature, they are born thinking they are superior
Remember whats bad for whites is not always bad for people of color.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty D View Post
100% true! Understand,White people see any neighborhood that is not 60- 70 % white as bad.
If not then as they see it it must be a "Bad" area why else are there not more white people there???

lol wow im black and even im kind of shocked at this response lol

Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Then I come along and your stereotype goes out the window.

Quote:

Racist devil.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Don't feed the troll. Unnecessarily kills brain cells.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:04 PM

13 posts, read 67,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg8 View Post
I say it's more classism, low income neighborhoods are ghetto, higher income are nice. I'm sure if you look just look at the income level of neighborhoods you'll be able to find one's with the best school and low crime without using race as a criteria.
I couldn't agree more. I'm so tired of people arguing about race when it's classism we're all guilty of. That includes classism of whites, blacks, asians and hispanics.

And to be honest, I don't appreciate the stereotyping you are doing yourself.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 PM

74 posts, read 195,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee2 View Post
Why do you care so much about what you assume other people think?

Most stereotypes are based in part on some truths. So what?

Most brown and black people assume lots of things about white people that are not true. I know. I am a white minority in my neighborhood. I like labels. They make me laugh. Lighten up. Life is too short to worry what you think others may be thinking.

Because it matters when it comes to doing business with or finding work with companies on the westside.

They think of the eastside (I mean east of downtown, not Silver Lake) as a dangerous, gang-infested place. They also think it's very far away, a place where maids and gardeners and construction workers live.

There's truth to that, but there's also a large middle class population as well, and not only Latinos. People who know (who are mostly locals) know the truth that it's a working class and middle class community, but we also have intellectuals, decent schools, and a pretty nice life out there.

So you mention you're from some place like El Monte, Montebello, Rosemead, Monterey park, and they don't know where it is, or they think it's just some brown or yellow ghetto.

Heaven forbid that you hail from South Central or Compton or Long Beach. The stereotypes are even worse, and they're national thanks to some rappers.

This ignorance in LA is widespread. I've dealt with it from my white employers, white clients, and business associates. I often didn't realize it until later that they were operating on some stereotypes. They didn't even think they were stereotypes.

It's a struggle to gain some respect when the world is taking **** about you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles