Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2006, 11:17 AM

14 posts, read 70,400 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone,

I'm going to be taking a job at a company I'm interning for here in Santa Monica after I graduate from school next June. I became curious about what it would actually cost to live around here and so I've started researching some rent prices out here. It is expensive, obviously, but I was born, raised and am currently going to school in Santa Barbara, where it's roughly equally expensive.

Currently I'm living in Marina del Rey and I only drive 15 minutes to work. Not a bad place, but I'm wondering what else is out there.

Where would you recommend I look at to live? I'm single, so a simple studio or apartment is fine. I'm not big on partying or nightlife, so I don't care about that (in fact my only hobby is working out, so anyplace with a gym is fine...!). I notice a lot of you complain about "non-English speakers," I've never had a problem with immigrants from any place, so I don't really care about that, either.

I've also considered living in a place like Oxnard or in the Valley, but it seems that commuting, considering the high gas prices and the time it takes to commute, isn't worth it. Still, I'd like to get your input on that, too.

Incidentally, my income will be roughly $75K. I'm wondering how far that'll get me in terms of saving money for the future...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 01:19 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,486 times
I think you'll do fine on that salary. You might want to live in Venice, 1/2 way betwixt the Marina and S.M., slightly less expensive. As long as you avoid Oakwood, there's no bad renting in Venice. (I lived there for 10 years.) And you'll still be next to the beach. Don't consider a long commute if you can afford living near your work in a nice place. The aggravation of commuting here could shorten your life!

Old 08-21-2006, 04:36 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,086 times
Playa Vista (part of Marina Del Rey), Venice, Manhattan Beach, parts of Culver City and Westchester if you don't want to drive too far.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:20 PM

8 posts, read 49,286 times
Ditto that! Keep the commute as short as possible! The west side is mostly a nice area but just too much traffic. I would pic Marina Del Rey, or Santa Monica.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:55 PM

14 posts, read 70,400 times
Thanks for the replies, this helps a lot; I am wondering about Culver City, which seems near Santa Monica and still has pretty affordable rent. Which part is the "good part" and which the "bad?" And what's bad about the bad part?

EDIT: I thought I'd share some thoughts after living in Marina Del Rey for a while...

Everyone in LA seems to be very rude and in a hurry to get everywhere. I should have expected as much, but it's one thing to hear about it and another to actually experience it. The number of tweaked guys in Porsches/Ferraris, the black guys in CLKs and the rail-thin tiny white girls in H2s is beyond anything I'd imagined. Driving a tiny 13-year-old Honda, I feel very out of place. And in fear of being crushed by SUVs.

Yeah, driving in LA sucks. I have friends in Winnetka and family in Baldwin Park and traffic is completely unpredictable. On a good day, I can go see my family in Baldwin Park in 30 minutes; on a bad day, it's more like 90. Too bad, because Baldwin Park is peaceful and very inexpensive and if I could guarantee myself a 45-minute commute from there to Santa Monica every day (and gas prices didn't offset the savings in rent), I'd live there in a second.

There is a ton to do out here, which is great. Everything is close by (beaches, mountains, shopping/movies, etc.), and there's lots of everything; by contrast, Santa Barbara has only State St. to offer, and all that is is bars and over-rated restaurants.

While LA has its positives, I am now realizing why everyone who visits Santa Barbara calls it paradise...

Last edited by Starwind0079; 09-04-2006 at 11:28 PM..

Old 09-09-2006, 07:18 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
I used to know a lot of people who lived in Palms which used to be a pretty nice area. I don't know how it is now, but these people were like "youngish professionals" and they liked living there.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:03 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,086 times
Mar Vista and Palms are nice. The homes there are older but well kept. Yeah, Centinela and Bundy are usually congested but you get used to it. Freeway access (10 or the 405) is nearby.

I've seen some new lofts being built in the Culver City, Marina Del Rey and Venice areas. From what I've seen they sound affordable.

Here's a couple links with contact info:

removed

Last edited by Marka; 09-10-2006 at 03:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles