U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,751 times

Advertisements

Monterey Park used to be safe years 40 years ago. Alot of Asian and Hispanic gangs. Not a great place to raise your children. Also, alot of robberies and break-ins take place during the day while people are at work. Sorry folks, I used to live here years ago and have seen and heard alot of tragic stories. Not all of the crimes are publicised or in the media because it happens on a frequent basis. When you see steel bars on all the windows of homes in a neighborhood, it might give you clear indication to look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 02:47 PM

6,823 posts, read 12,266,675 times
Moderately safe, can depend on the neighborhood.. probably comparable to Pasadena or Anaheim overall..

Nearby cities of San Gabriel, Alhambra, and Rosemead can also be considered.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 PM

126 posts, read 563,395 times
Will he have a car? If so, Downtown/Eagle Rock/Echo Park/Silver Lake/Miracle Mile. Monterey Park is fine but not the place to make industry connections.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,372 times
It's 'asian-town', good and safe area; mostly middle aged folks so it's quiet. I got a lot of friends that live in MPK, they're also in their 30s. But the only warning I give you is to tell your boy that if he plans to drive; please oh please make damn sure to watch out for middle aged asian drivers. Even I'm afraid of their tendencies where they possess not surprising but perilous freaky driving 'skills'.

Cheers.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 AM

68 posts, read 149,383 times
Monterey Park is a nice area. Quiet, mostly middle class, mostly Chinese (famous in China I hear, as an example of Chinese achievement in the U.S).

It's a bit slow, and a bit boring, but area's nearby have plenty of nightlife.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
I've lived here my whole life. If you're not Chinese, you won't get along with the people. They're all Chinese immigrants, most can't mutter a single word in English. This is an extremely boring area with nothing to do. All stores here are in Chinese characters, so who knows what the hell they are. I never shop here. I always drive to other cities to do my shopping. If you ever drive in Chinese Monterey Park, be sure to pray beforehand. Monterey Park has some of the worst drivers ever, and I've driven through most of LA County, parts of Ventura County, San Diego, parts of Utah, parts of Colorado, Seattle, and parts of Mexico. This is not an exaggeration; they are the worst drivers. They're bicycling is not very good either. Watch out for bicyclists, because it's like they have a death-wish. There's Asian gangs, but it's not as bad as the surrounding cities like Rosemead, San Gabriel, and Alhambra. There's a lot of car-breaking's though. My brother-in-law had his car stolen here. Some Chinese guy saw the whole thing, but didn't care to report it or call the police. If you're not Chinese, be prepared to get stared at anywhere you walk around.

Also I forgot to mention one last thing. I'd advice taking careful notice of your kids in public schools in Monterey Park. I had a friend who attended Mark Keppel high school years ago, who had trouble with the math class because the teacher at the time was discussing part of the lecture in Chinese. The parents had to set up a couple of interviews with the teacher, because she never quite learned that this is America and NOT Communist China and students need to be taught in English.

Last edited by someguyhere; 05-29-2013 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention one last thing

Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM

14,301 posts, read 16,122,385 times
Yes, safe and low key area. I dated a lady that lived there when I lived in Pasadena.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 AM

332 posts, read 481,443 times
For some 18 year old kid, it is perfectly safe to live there...plus he can get really cheap Chinese food at all hours of the night. It's a somewhat working class Chinese immigrant town so I can see why people wouldn't want to RAISE their kids there, but this is not the situation here and living there is fine. Worst would happen is someone busting into his car if he left some valuable in the open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or