Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions:

1) Can someone list the airports in the Los Angeles area?

2) Who runs these airports? I work for an airport in Florida and am trying to find job postings for aiports in the Los Angeles area but I can't see to get to them. Here in Florida the aiport is run by the aviation authority as opposed to the city or county, I think LA is different.

3) Does anyone have any idea as to how hard it is to get a job there. If the airports are run by the city/county it would be city/county employement which I would think would be difficult to get a job.

4) What airlines have hubs in the LA area?

Thanks you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Here's a start:

LAX
Burbank (Bob Hope)
Ontario
Long Beach
John Wayne (Santa Ana)

General information here:
List of airports in the Los Angeles area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And what you're really looking for:
http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAWA.aspx?id=134

Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
www.lawa.org

Old 07-21-2011, 11:07 AM

I tried lawa.org, but there were no jobs listed. I was thinking an aiport like LAX would have openings. We are much smaller and have openings all the time.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,202 times
Not sure what your current position is, but I have a friend who posted on her facebook that TSA was hiring (She works at LAX).

Did a bit of searching: USAJOBS - Search Jobs

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM

I work in accounting/finance. I'll check out TSA, but I'm not sure what kind of positions they have open. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
This page tells you what the jobs are and who does the hiring. If there are no openings posted, they either have no openings or they choose not to post them. Call the 24-hour job line given on that page and find out what openings they have.

Employment

Old 07-21-2011, 09:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I have a few questions:

1) Can someone list the airports in the Los Angeles area?

2) Who runs these airports? I work for an airport in Florida and am trying to find job postings for aiports in the Los Angeles area but I can't see to get to them. Here in Florida the aiport is run by the aviation authority as opposed to the city or county, I think LA is different.

3) Does anyone have any idea as to how hard it is to get a job there. If the airports are run by the city/county it would be city/county employement which I would think would be difficult to get a job.

Thanks you in advance.
Los Angeles World Airports Official Website

Old 07-22-2011, 03:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
I tried lawa.org, but there were no jobs listed. I was thinking an aiport like LAX would have openings. We are much smaller and have openings all the time.
I don't think I noticed if you mentioned it or not, but what type of job are you looking for? Remember the economy is still awful in CA so there wound not be anywhere near the jobs at airports in L.A. as in some places. A bad economy is exactly that. Unfortunately it might be some time before things open up.
I did read your last posting where you listed your background. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but finance and accounting fields are overflowing in Ca, add to that all the new graduates that are looking. I am sure you have a reason for wanting to move to Los Angeles but unless it is a necessity, I would try somewhere else or sit tight for a few more years.
Nita

Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,919 times
Quote:

Thanks you in advance.
Southern California doesn't have super hubs where one airline dominates all the traffic (like Atlanta with Delta or Dallas with American or Seattle with Alaska Airlines) as there is a lot of competition in this market for flights.

We do have medium sized hubs though:

United Airlines operates a hub at LAX and is the largest airline carrying about 25% of all passengers. United and United Express have about 180 flights per day at LAX to 62 destinations.

American Airlines also considers LAX a hub, carries about 20% of all passengers, and operates 100 flights per day to 40 destinations on American or American Eagle.

Delta is the third largest airline and carries about 18% of all passengers. Delta and Delta Connection serve 36 cities with 110 flight per day. Delta does not consider LAX a hub, calling it an "International Gateway Airport" and not a hub like Atlanta or Detroit.

Southwest Airlines does not operate with a traditional hub and spoke system and thus does not identify "hubs." However Southwest is the largest airline in California and fourth largest at LAX with around 100 flights to 20 cities mainly in the West and Midwest. They carry 16% of LAX passengers. Southwest is the largest airline at John Wayne, Burbank, Ontario, and San Diego but all are not hub operations.

--Southwest is largest when all commercial airports in Southern California are added up for # of passengers carried, followed by United Airlines/United Express, and then American Airlines/American Eagle. Southwest dominates leisure travel, high frequency inter California, and Western USA travel. United dominates in corporate travel, Hawaii, trans-cons, and small airports in inter California. American dominates in corporate travel (especially its NYC-LAX route that is 12 times per day on wide body 767), entertainment industry contracts, trans continental flights, and high frequency inter-hub flights.

Jet Blue operates a mini hub at Long Beach with about 45 flights per day.

LAX is the North American headquarters for airlines like Air New Zealand, Korean Air, ANA, JAL, Air China, etc.... so you can also look into jobs at their offices in the L.A. area.

Last edited by coo77; 07-22-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles