Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times

Advertisements

If I found a studio in both areas for the same price, which one would you pick? Commute time not a factor since I work from home. It would be not

Hollywood or W.Hollywood' ish

Pros; it's Hollywood. Closer to the action. Closer to nightlife. It's the "basin". Not the valley. Not as hot. The real City experience.

Cons: Car more likely to be vandalized.Have to park on the street. Not as convenient as Ventura since stuff is spread out... gym, shopping, grocery etc

Studio city

Pros ; Ventura Blvd, nice area. Can park in a parking lot in back of apartment. Still outdoors parking but car is less likely to be broken into I think. Everything I will need is on Ventura so its convenient.

Cons ; Hot, it's the valley.

---------------------

Where is the cut off for West Hollywood btw? Which streets and beyond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times
Seems like the valley would be more convenient for you. While it's hotter in the valley, its not that much different than hollywood. Comparing valley heat to the west side/santa monica is a big difference, but as you go inland, the difference is not as big.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Seems like the valley would be more convenient for you. While it's hotter in the valley, its not that much different than hollywood. Comparing valley heat to the west side/santa monica is a big difference, but as you go inland, the difference is not as big.
Well. I have a car. I have no problem driving... I am afraid I won't be in the heart of the action/nightlife etc in Studio City.

Convenience is not the #1 factor for me. I just Ventura blvd but its not all about convenience. I am afraid I will miss out on the city life experience in SC.

Last edited by jackie100; 09-07-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 02:08 PM

how are these locations? Approximate locations

1. 800 Alta Vista cross streets N La Brea and between Melrose and SM Blvd

2. 1759 Orchid x streets Franklin/Highland

3. 1600 Poinsettia X streets N La Brea and Sunset...

Are any of these areas better than the Studio City apt I found around 101 freeway and Coldwater Canyon close to Ventura blvd?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:09 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Well. I have a car. I have no problem driving... I am afraid I won't be in the heart of the action/nightlife etc in Studio City.

Convenience is not the #1 factor for me. I just Ventura blvd but its not all about convenience. I am afraid I will miss out on the city life experience in SC.
If you live along Hollywood Blvd. or just due north, yes it is more city like. However, the rest of the Hollywood neighborhood is not that nice and most people I know who live south of Hollywood Blvd. do not walk because it is still grimy.

Studio City has a ton of people walking around Ventura Blvd. particularly around the Laurel Canyon Blvd. intersection.

As for nightlife, it depends what you prefer. Hollywood has all the top clubs and a ton of dive bars stuck in the mid 1980s. The crowds are massive since it's a hub not just for neighborhood people but for tourists and Californians from all over Socal.

Studio City will be more neighborhood people and their friends who live close by in LA. If you are at all interested in the "Hollywood scene," but don't want to go to Hollywood clubs like Drais, your next best bet for that area is Studio City rather than the other bars in Hollywood.

All that being said, Hollywood is still a really cool place to be. You do have everything at your doorstep you could possibly want and the amount of people there is much higher so it might be easier to make new friends. It is more exciting while Studio City is a bit sleepier.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:13 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Quote:
how are these locations? Approximate locations

1. 800 Alta Vista cross streets N La Brea and between Melrose and SM Blvd

2. 1759 Orchid x streets Franklin/Highland

3. 1600 Poinsettia X streets N La Brea and Sunset...

Are any of these areas better than the Studio City apt I found around 101 freeway and Coldwater Canyon close to Ventura blvd?
800 Alta Vista is still within Hollywood, which is part of the city of Los Angeles, but it is close enough to West Hollywood. Further west on Melrose is the Melrose corridor, which is really nice, but around Pink's gets a bit sketchy at night. Just my two cents on that as I drove by several times at night last week.

1759 Orchid is in the good part of Hollywood north of Hollywood Blvd. Lots to see and do.

1600 Poinsettia is in a decent area. There isn't much around it though. You will still have to drive to bars, restaurants, etc. on Sunset unless you are into the gay scene along Santa Monica Blvd.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
800 Alta Vista is still within Hollywood, which is part of the city of Los Angeles, but it is close enough to West Hollywood. Further west on Melrose is the Melrose corridor, which is really nice, but around Pink's gets a bit sketchy at night. Just my two cents on that as I drove by several times at night last week.

1759 Orchid is in the good part of Hollywood north of Hollywood Blvd. Lots to see and do.

1600 Poinsettia is in a decent area. There isn't much around it though. You will still have to drive to bars, restaurants, etc. on Sunset unless you are into the gay scene along Santa Monica Blvd.
Thank you so much!

I am finally home from work so I got a better chance to look at this places on Google Street View. Orchid is right next to a hotel; Orchid suites and there is another hotel across the street. That seems kind of weird; not very residential... Has parking available but I don't know if there is a cost and if so how much... will have to call. Comes with a fridge.

Alta Vista looks ok but only street parking. Also comes with a fridge though

Poinsettia sounds boring from what you described..but has free underground parking.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 PM

Am I crazy in feeling that SC is more upscale than Weho? I think Ventura is nicer and cleaner whereas WeHo is dirty and just filled with tourists plus it's a pain in the ass to drive around Hollywood blvd... ?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Am I crazy in feeling that SC is more upscale than Weho? I think Ventura is nicer and cleaner whereas WeHo is dirty and just filled with tourists plus it's a pain in the ass to drive around Hollywood blvd... ?
If that is what YOU think then move to Studio City! It's not that serious an issue! Besides, you know you can always move right? Personal preference is just that...personal. I wouldn't want to live somewhere I thought was dirty and a PITA to get around in even if someone else thought it was a slice of heaven.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If that is what YOU think then move to Studio City! It's not that serious an issue! Besides, you know you can always move right? Personal preference is just that...personal. I wouldn't want to live somewhere I thought was dirty and a PITA to get around in even if someone else thought it was a slice of heaven.
To be honest, I do kinda like WeHo. That's why I'm confused.... I think I just been to the wrong side of Weho, like around Hollywood Blvd and Whitley... the other side is probably much better.

I think i like both; that's why I'm so torn.

Last edited by jackie100; 09-07-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles