Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 10,214 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of going to LA in Jan. (and maybe Oct. too before that to scope it out.) Do you think getting a demo reel together and knocking on agency doors is realistic to find representation or is there another approach I should consider?
Also does anyone know if pilot season is a go this Jan. or are things still in chaos form the strike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 06:50 PM

56 posts, read 260,433 times
I am already a SAG member, obtained membership in Maryland. I am wondering if anyone else can tell me if it is at all advantageous in already having SAG card for getting work in LA? I woukd be a full-time extra even, if it's possible.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:27 AM

13 posts, read 58,134 times
I would love to start getting into acting, but only have a high school play as my resume. Would it be really hard to try to get an agent or some work?

I am working towards getting my BA in Psychology, so I have something to fall back on in case acting doesn't work, but it's what I really want to do!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:41 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeamie View Post
I would love to start getting into acting, but only have a high school play as my resume. Would it be really hard to try to get an agent or some work?

I am working towards getting my BA in Psychology, so I have something to fall back on in case acting doesn't work, but it's what I really want to do!
Yes, it would be really hard.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:57 PM

12 posts, read 56,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I'm in the industry as well. Some get waiting jobs. Some become Extras (you'll see the regulars time from time again). Others work for the ancillary areas, ie., hair, make-up, stage production, etc. As for places to live. Anywhere near the studios, audition areas, etc.

Good Luck!

where are the best audition areas?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 PM

396 posts, read 1,724,183 times
burbank, around hollywood

Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 AM

8 posts, read 18,093 times
Default Locations North of LA

Okay, so count me as "just another actor moving to LA".

I have been looking extensively for places to live in the area. We are moving next year from New England. I have been reading all the stuff on here about places to live and checking with rental web sites like forrent.com and apartments.com. My biggest concerns being safety and cost. I've found a couple of real nice places in Valencia and Santa Clarita. They are only about 30 min north of burbank, but are decent prices for one bedrooms (1400 to start) and look like great areas.

Does anyone have experience doing the drive down route 5? During Rush hour? Off hours? etc... Sounds like Burbank/studio city/ pasadena are where the bulk of studios / auditions are to be found so I need decently easy access. (easy of course, being relative)

Thanks,
~Steve

Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 AM

12 posts, read 56,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeststeve View Post

Does anyone have experience doing the drive down route 5? During Rush hour? Off hours? etc... Sounds like Burbank/studio city/ pasadena are where the bulk of studios / auditions are to be found so I need decently easy access. (easy of course, being relative)

Thanks,
~Steve
I've heard that is a LOT better to get a place closer to the audition areas because a half hour commute in LA is more like an hour or more on average. I could be wrong since I haven't been there- but i have family scattered around the state.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:06 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorses_craze View Post
Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Burbank, Pasadena mabey and some other places are good places for an actor to live. I live in west Hollywood. Its a Jewish area, but nice.
Would you mind clarifying your statement about "it's a Jewish area, but nice"???

Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeststeve View Post
Okay, so count me as "just another actor moving to LA".

I have been looking extensively for places to live in the area. We are moving next year from New England. I have been reading all the stuff on here about places to live and checking with rental web sites like forrent.com and apartments.com. My biggest concerns being safety and cost. I've found a couple of real nice places in Valencia and Santa Clarita. They are only about 30 min north of burbank, but are decent prices for one bedrooms (1400 to start) and look like great areas.

Thanks,
~Steve
It's too far. Burbank or the San Fernando Valley would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles