Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 04:59 PM

14 posts, read 27,954 times

Advertisements

I will be working in Westwood and my boyfriend will be working in Downey. For the life of me I cannot figure out a spot in this entire city that would be a compromise in terms of commute without having to live in South Central.

We're in Alhambra/Monterey Park right now, but I think I may go mental if I have to continue slogging back and forth on the 10 every day. Should I just invest in a nicer stereo system in my car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,312,876 times
Well, I guess Mar Vista and Culver City are close to Westwood and closer to Downey (405 adjacent) than the sgv. Obviously the commute to downey wouldnt be great but its something of a compromise that greatly favors you

Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,390,338 times
I think El Segundo or Westchester or that general area. One takes the 405 the other takes the 105.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:51 PM

14 posts, read 27,954 times
Actually I have to correct myself, I double-checked and my boyfriend's job will be in Commerce. So maybe Mid-City?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:46 PM

33 posts, read 109,963 times
I would really consider Downtown LA or adjacent (k-town, EP ) for a decent compromise for "both." Mar Vista & Culver City are closer to Westwood but nowhere close to Downey especially compared to your current location. Your BF would be traveling away and against traffic from DTLA, has several options for fwys (5 or the 10 & 710 combo) For you, your drive time would be cut by half or even more since you may surpass most of the congestion by the downtown highway interchanges depending on your exact location. The other plus would be the nice culture and amenities that have been brewing in Downtown and adjacent neighborhoods. Also, you are a good step closer to the beaches compared to the SGV. Wouldn't be bad for the weekends

Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,798,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Well, I guess Mar Vista and Culver City are close to Westwood and closer to Downey (405 adjacent) than the sgv. Obviously the commute to downey wouldnt be great but its something of a compromise that greatly favors you
Actually that's a great idea because the less crowded 105 runs directly from Culver City to Downey. I live in Torrance and about a month ago I had to trek to Downey (at 4PM) and other than a brief slowdown at the 710 it took 35 mins to get there. The 405 to Westwood at 4PM is an entirely different matter. There is no good answer for that stretch. Some days Culver blvd to Wilshire can take 30 mins.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:19 AM

237 posts, read 669,205 times
If you boyfriend will have close to the standard 8-5 work hours, there is a Metrolink station at Commerce. Some employers have shuttles from the station to their buildings. Have him ask about this at his job and ask if other in his company use Metrolink for their commute. Only select trains serve Commerce while others by-pass it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles