Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 PM

236 posts, read 789,422 times

Advertisements

I do think about it, and think it's a matter of not "if" but "when." I have a full supply of earthquake emergency materials at home, in my car and at work, and I have earthquake insurance. Beyond that, there isn't much I can do if I choose to live here, so I just stay as prepared as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterluke View Post
Has anyone wondered if a big earthquake will hit LA? I've been living in this city all my life since 1984 the year of my birth and so far I haven't experienced an earthquake that has destroyed my home.

Does anybody wonder if a big earthquake will hit in their lifetime? And are you guys prepared in case? I've been wondering if I should have "an earthquake" kit or something. So far all I have is a first aid kit.
I'm moving to LA in a few weeks and I'm not worried. If you don't have God in your life, you should be though. I have read multiple news reports from prophets and some psychics around the world that are sensing an impending earthquake and tsunami coming soon to California. Actually, they have been sensing it and warning people for a long time. It's just a matter of when and how long God is having mercy. Not trying to get religious but if you don't know Jesus, now would be a good time to get to know him.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:44 PM

47 posts, read 151,606 times
I've thought about it alot---enough that 4 years ago we moved out of state.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
I dont worry about the actual earthquake after been in a few big ones like Northridge, Whittier, and Big Bear. I guess the only concern is what happens after the earthquake. How good are the roads to get around, when will power be back, how are they going to clear the streets of debris, powerlines, trees, etc. After the wind storm last year, it took 2 days to get power and weeks to fully clear the roads and my area wasnt hit that hard, unlike the SGV. I guess my family is ill prepared like batteries to power up the portable radio, enough bottled water or canned foods. I think the last time we fully supplied it was the Y2K scare.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Getting shot in the face is more of a possibility than a massive earthquake.
There's no point in worrying about it. What's that going to do? An earthquake can happen anywhere really. New Yorkers didn't think they would get one (tho their one was pure bs). Who's to say you will even be around when there is an earthquake?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
We are so due...

Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Getting shot in the face is more of a possibility than a massive earthquake.
There's no point in worrying about it. What's that going to do? An earthquake can happen anywhere really. New Yorkers didn't think they would get one (tho their one was pure bs). Who's to say you will even be around when there is an earthquake?
I'm not even sure where to start with this post.

Do you have any stats to back any of this up?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
What many people forget about California is how huge the state is, and how vast tracts of the state are quite rural/sparsely populated.

The most earthquake prone areas of southern Califonia include the Landers area, north of Palm Springs, and northeast edge of the mountains that are in Joshua Tree National Park.

Also the Salton Sea area. That are from the Imperial valley southward is so low, because that is the crust is splitting apart. and pieces of the crust slip below when earthquakes occur.

The Northridge area is particularly prone within the LA area as it is close to the "Big Bend" where the north-south trending coast ranges take a turn and become the east-west transverse ranges.

Also the Mono Lake Area of the Owens Valley. Would affect LAs water supply big time all the way up there. Mono Lake is formed from a collapsed volcanic caldera. Wherever you have volcanic activity, you have earthquakes.

Also, related to volcanic activity: Cape Mendocino is also a major spot because it is where the San Andreas fault meets the subduction zone that created the Cascades (which Mt. Shasta in northern California) is the southernmost peak.

I would be much more concerned for the Bay Area. The whole peninsula that the San Francisco to Silicon Valley was created by millions of years of fault movement. Since LA is in a huge basin, an earthquake would not be triggered in a structual basin, although, you would get more shaking on soft sediment versus bedrock, so that is something to keep in mind.

Keep in mind also, that earthquakes created the landscape around us. The Cajon Pass that separates the San Gabriels from the San Bernadino mountains that I-15 runs through between Hesperia and San Bernardino was created by the San Andreas fault. If it wasn't for the fauly slicing the mountains into two, we wouldn't pass through there, because it would be a wall of mountains.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm moving to LA in a few weeks and I'm not worried. If you don't have God in your life, you should be though. I have read multiple news reports from prophets and some psychics around the world that are sensing an impending earthquake and tsunami coming soon to California. Actually, they have been sensing it and warning people for a long time. It's just a matter of when and how long God is having mercy. but if you don't know Jesus, now would be a good time to get to know him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Not trying to get religious

Coulda fooled me.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I'm not even sure where to start with this post.

Do you have any stats to back any of this up?
Stats for what? You hear about crime everyday not massive earthquakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles