Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 PM

33 posts, read 74,761 times

Advertisements

As I said in the other thread, I might be moving to LA soon.

I would like to know what areas are safe to walk in so I'd know where to look for a potential apartment.

I'd devote as much $$$ as possible towards getting a car (seeing as I think I'm going to be getting paid more than I thought) but would have to rely on walking/buses for the first 2-3 months to save up money and get settled and whatnot.

Thanks!

And, as a warning, I'll probably be making a lot more threads in the future if I do get this job so sorry in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
What do you mean safe? You can walk anywhere, there are generally sidewalks and crosswalks anywhere vaguely urban in California. If you mean convenient for walking, that's another matter. I'd be sure to look at places near where you work that are still affordable for you, so you can cut down your commute, and near a major bus line that you can take straight to work. If you're living without a car at first mainly make sure it's near a good grocery store you can walk to.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,576 times
It really depends upon which part of LA you plan to reside. I moved to LA eight years ago and live within walking distance to Downtown and Chinatown.
As previously stated by "mayorhaggar", sidewalks and crosswalks are everywhere but more importantly, the city lights are on from dusk til dawn.
As for the commute, try to get a job as close to your home as possible. Our traffic is one of the few negative aspects of living in LA but it is a real pain in the a*s.
If you are able to determine the area of your relocation, just send me a message and I'll be able to be more specific.
Mike

Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 PM

PM sent, mt90012.

And what do I mean by "safe"? I mean safe to walk w/o being stabbed or robbed or anything. Will I be able to walk to work/to a supermarket/whatever in that area?

Thanks, guys.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilfishtank View Post
PM sent, mt90012.

And what do I mean by "safe"? I mean safe to walk w/o being stabbed or robbed or anything. Will I be able to walk to work/to a supermarket/whatever in that area?

Thanks, guys.
I think a better question would be, where is it not safe to walk in LA. Most of LA is safe to walk in - you are more likely to get hit by a car walking than stabbed.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:28 PM

lol ok then (I guess LA isn't as bad as its reputation then).

Where is it NOT safe to walk then?

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilfishtank View Post
lol ok then (I guess LA isn't as bad as its reputation then).

Where is it NOT safe to walk then?

Thanks.
This is being very, very general, but the area south of the 10 and east of the 110 I would not feel totally comfortable walking alone through (and really more like south of MLK Boulevard). There are obvious glaring exceptions to that, but that is generally the more dangerous parts of LA.

I also wouldn't want to be alone and walk through Westlake or Pico Union (just west of Downtown), though I'm not sure how dangerous they are for non-gang members.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
Old downtown LA, the toy district. That looks like where they filmed the first Teenage Mutant Minja Turtles!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:38 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Jeez, 'general' is right. There are exceptions to just about every area, and the places where one absolutely would NOT walk are not the places most of us rub up against anyhow. Westlake/Pico Union never gave me any problems, but it IS a grimy area (in parts). munchitup is right. Truth be told, I've even taken a 'self-guided walking tour' of the Alvarado Terrace area of Pico/Union and lived to tell the tale. LA is WAY too spread out and diverse to give absolute answers to a question like that, IMHO. That said, I would certainly stay away from Skid Row (but you wouldn't be visiting there anyway).

http://laconservancy.org/initiatives...n_Tour_new.pdf

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM

181 posts, read 506,133 times
Nobody walks in L.A.! (sorry, couldn't resist. kinda true though.)

Missing Persons - Walking In L.A. - LIVE !!.mp4 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles