Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,479 times

Advertisements

I will be moving with my husband and young son from Sherman Oaks (just south of Ventura - mostly vehicle break-ins) and have been considering a rental in Glassell Park at the above location. We currently live in a very safe neighborhood but either new to cut our monthly expenses significantly or move out of LA altogether. I have read that there are gang problems in this part of town but it wasn't clear if they extended to this area or stayed down in the flats closer to Drew St. Please provide me with helpful local knowledge of whether I would need to be driving through sketchy areas to get on local freeways as well. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,513 times
That's a very nice area up there and very easy to get onto the 2 freeway. The gangbangers tend to be down on the flat part and basically leave you alone if you leave them alone - I've lived in Highland Park for 14 years and have never had an issue with the "homies". You will probably go through a little more sketchy area to get to the 110 freeway but to me really nothing to worry about.
What about school for your son? I don't have children so I'm not familiar with them but comments I hear seem to indicate they may not be the best.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrs View Post
I will be moving with my husband and young son from Sherman Oaks (just south of Ventura - mostly vehicle break-ins) and have been considering a rental in Glassell Park at the above location. We currently live in a very safe neighborhood but either new to cut our monthly expenses significantly or move out of LA altogether. I have read that there are gang problems in this part of town but it wasn't clear if they extended to this area or stayed down in the flats closer to Drew St. Please provide me with helpful local knowledge of whether I would need to be driving through sketchy areas to get on local freeways as well. Thanks in advance!
I have friends who live nearby on Cazador St. It's not a bad area. It is quiet. However the Avenues gang is just down the hill and around the mountain. Unless you're a gang banger, I wouldn't worry about it. My friends usually head to Glendale or Pasadena for entertainment. I would recommend taking a drive 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles