Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
In Texas, the only CA town Texans rave about is San Diego. They think San Diego is the be all end all of CA towns.

Whenever I mentioned I was heading off to LA many people were like, "why" ? Almost as though it was a stupid move. But San Diego is just as expensive and just as hard to find a job, yet they rave about the city and the town surrounding it.

I don't get it? What is the aversion to Los Angeles that people in the heartland have? When I went to San Diego, I found it to be a cool but pretty normal small city on the scale of a Western style Boston. I didn't find it amazing at all. By the end of the trip I was so glad to be back in LA.
Ha ha!! I know! Same thing with me! Coming from the Chicago suburbs!

San Diego might even be harder to find a job I would think than LA even. Its economy is largely based on military and tourism. Its basically Orlando, FL (tourism) and Virginia Beach (navy) rolled into one, with a Mediterranean setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I think there is always going to be the bashing of one town in preference for the other by people in the heartland or people with more traditional, family values.

San Diego over Los Angeles

Milwauke over Chicago

Boston over NYC

Austin over Houston

It's always the same story too. They do not see the beauty in a place like NYC or LA because they're looking for stability and think that anyone who doesn't want that cookie cutter type of place is unstable or too wild, too strange.

They think the streets are dirty, the streets crowded and the crime high. It also comes to personality. Some people would hate to be in a place where you have to be on your toes and in social situations 24 7.

Sometimes I think that people that prefer the country or smaller towns or even smaller cities with cookie cutter areas just hate people or dislike being in the thick of it all.

Whenever you meet someone like and bring up LA or NYC, they just cannot wait to chime in on how much they appreciate the country or smaller towns and would hate to be crammed into a big city like that, as if you ever even asked for their opinion.

Apparently it's ok to knock a major city where people live, more people actually, but quite rude to knock a smaller town or the country. They take it as you're slapping normal civilization or something.
Hmm . . . not entirely sure its quite that simple.

Like we said there are MANY, MANY people who love San Diego, but can't stand LA.

However the point I was making before, is that people, even suprisingly, family oriented, "heartland" people still love visiting Chicago. But Milwaukee is not EVEN on ones radar. Or if so, its Packers, beer, and cheese.

And I'm not sure if people think of Austin as being the more "family-oriented" town. I would say most people not from Texas, think of Austin as being this city full of live music, liberalism, etc. while they think of Houston, as some sauna/swamp with jobs and cheap living. They barely acknowledge it as even a city.

I think it all depends on the region/state. And which cities simply market themselves better.

Austin markets itself much better than Houston.
San Diego markets itself better than LA.

(in both cases many of the natives themselves can be quite self deprecating).

Chicago markets itself better than Milwaukee. In addition to being bigger, Chicago just has a boosterism/swagger.

While Boston and NYC are very, very different, I would say both have a sense of swagger and pride that can be very obnoxious when taken too far.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
However the point I was making before, is that people, even suprisingly, family oriented, "heartland" people still love visiting Chicago. But Milwaukee is not EVEN on ones radar. Or if so, its Packers, beer, and cheese.
Or The Safe House.

My wife and I just visited Milwaukee and Chicago for the first time back in August. We loved Milwaukee, it is a very charming, homey type of city. Chicago is a BEHEMOTH, just like Los Angeles, it seemed very stressful day in/out, but all one could ever want is there. At the end of our trip, while having lunch at the Willis Tower, we both decided that we liked Milwaukee better overall, we didn't think we would need all of the excitement/people Chicago proper brings.

I think part of the reason San Diego sustains a better national reputation than Los Angeles is because of San Diego's supposedly better climate, and the fact that San Diego doesn't have the reputation as a giant smoggy, crime/gang filled, traffic mess that Los Angeles does. L.A. Lite, if you will.

Growing up in the IE, closer to LA than SD, SD was never on my radar....

Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,520 times
Quote:
I think there is always going to be the bashing of one town in preference for the other by people in the heartland or people with more traditional, family values.

San Diego over Los Angeles

Milwauke over Chicago

Boston over NYC

Austin over Houston

It's always the same story too. They do not see the beauty in a place like NYC or LA because they're looking for stability and think that anyone who doesn't want that cookie cutter type of place is unstable or too wild, too strange.

They think the streets are dirty, the streets crowded and the crime high. It also comes to personality. Some people would hate to be in a place where you have to be on your toes and in social situations 24 7.

Sometimes I think that people that prefer the country or smaller towns or even smaller cities with cookie cutter areas just hate people or dislike being in the thick of it all.

Whenever you meet someone like and bring up LA or NYC, they just cannot wait to chime in on how much they appreciate the country or smaller towns and would hate to be crammed into a big city like that, as if you ever even asked for their opinion.

Apparently it's ok to knock a major city where people live, more people actually, but quite rude to knock a smaller town or the country. They take it as you're slapping normal civilization or something.
Disagree. I've met people from out of state thinking this way, too. Just where you were raised, I'd say. I have indeed known tons of transplants (most from rural areas), and they LOVED LA so much and never missed or spoke of their native small towns. Why do you think they moved to begin with? My classmate from Georgia openly admitted that it's boring as Hell with no public transit or universities over there. I was a little embarrassed for him and told him what I knew; he confirmed it to be true. I heard the same thing even about LV, though they provide minimal such features.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Or The Safe House.

My wife and I just visited Milwaukee and Chicago for the first time back in August. We loved Milwaukee, it is a very charming, homey type of city. Chicago is a BEHEMOTH, just like Los Angeles, it seemed very stressful day in/out, but all one could ever want is there. At the end of our trip, while having lunch at the Willis Tower, we both decided that we liked Milwaukee better overall, we didn't think we would need all of the excitement/people Chicago proper brings.

I think part of the reason San Diego sustains a better national reputation than Los Angeles is because of San Diego's supposedly better climate, and the fact that San Diego doesn't have the reputation as a giant smoggy, crime/gang filled, traffic mess that Los Angeles does. L.A. Lite, if you will.

Growing up in the IE, closer to LA than SD, SD was never on my radar....
Interesting. I grew up in what I call the Chicagoland version of the IE. Lake County, the far north suburbs, between Chicago and Milwaukee, but much more associated with Chicago. Growing up 30 miles northwest of downtown Chicago, our family went to Milwaukee at least once a year to take advantage of some of the things it offers without the stress and crowds of Chicago.

Chicago is a behometh, but it behemoth in a way a little more similar to Houston, than to New York or LA. Only in the sense that when you get beyond a five mile radius, its really mostly "anywhere America" just with worse traffic and access to jobs, entertainment, and beyond those suburbs its country in every direction. There is more to greater LA/SoCal or the New York tri-state area than that.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Population-wise, San Diego is the eighth largest city in the USA, right behind San Antonio, and right in front of DFW, having fallen from sixth place over the past 10-15 years, so it's definitely not a small city at all.

Its weather has been long recognized as the best of any US city for decades, primarily because its very moderate year-round, with a modest average of 11 inches of rain per year, as opposed to a shade over 15 inches per year for LA.

Lengthy period of either humidity, smog or desert-like heat are extremely rare, unless you go well inland 25 or more miles.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think it is an American thing. Myself, I can't stand it when I see people dress in shorts and not caring how they look. I don't exactly dress upscale, but definitely neat and nice. Most Americans are just way more casual.
There's a difference between casual and sloppy. Americans are sloppy, in the way they dress and a lot of other things (like their spelling, for instance). It's part of a larger plan by the elites to encourage us to be dumb and lazy so that we can be more easily controlled.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-15-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Some people, you see, are not smart. Don't, like, pay attention to them.

-Lorie, broadcasting live from The Windy City
Haha, agreed!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I agree with that...but compared to the rest of the midwest, Minneapolis is a fitness oasis.

One of things about LA that can be slightly offsetting with its fitness reputation, is the amount of overweight Mexican/Salvadorean people.
Interesting thing to make out...

Old 10-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Depending on the area some women like a fit man and some like a guy with a bit of a belly. Some like a Russell Crowe and some like a David Beckham.

It all depends on where you live.

for instance, I know I am supposed to find the women in LA so beautiful because they're so fit but I am not floored beyond belief here.

I can tell they try to hard to maintain their figures, their clothing styles are too well matched. IDK, I just do not find women who take that much effort into looking good, actually that attractive.

I guess its the same reasoning as to why women reject the GQ guy in favor of a ruggedly handsome "real" man.
Depends on which types. If you're talking about the types that try too hard, yea. But there are plenty that are just beyond anywhere I've ever been in the US and they aren't trying hard. This place attracts so many different types of people from around the world you find some breathtaking offspring. Having said that, it's an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles