Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I grew up in rural Kentucky. It is a good place with good people and very safe. I like those aspects. However, it is a very culturally staid place: get behind Kentucky Wildcats basketball, count down to horse racing season so you can look like a $25k millionaire douche and impress your friends, go fishing starting at age seven, marry by age 25 or you're "gay." You know, those sorta things.

I like the Bay Area, where I live now, and have been overall satisfied here. It can be very challenging to make it here, however, because of the more closed social networks and the extremely high cost of living.

I want to live in L.A. or Orange Co. (same region, as far as I'm concerned) because the energy, excitement, and diversity in truly almost everything imaginable, coupled with multiple mountain ranges separating where millions of people live and the dichotomy of immigrants, middle class and extreme wealth... All that is fascinating to me. The Bay Area has successfully run out most of its middle class, leaving primarily those who can not afford to leave and who will not leave because they have such good lifestyles. L.A. has amazed me in a way that NYC, SF, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. just have not. I think it would be a very challenging, yet very rewarding, place to live.

Having said that, if I do end up staying in the Bay, Oakland is hella awesome. Think of it (plus Berkeley, Emeryville, El Cerrito, Orinda, and San Lorenzo) as being a sort of microcosm of L.A. San Francisco, Marin, South Bay, and the Peninsula, however, otherwise fit my description.
LA and OC have same weather and both beautiful but totally different places. There's a reason why No Doubt and Rage Against the Machine wrote and sang about their hate for Orange County. It's the So Cal version of some of those places in the south and midwest. Just wealthier and prettier.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphareign View Post
Because it is. Rural areas afford more space and privacy. The air is cleaner. So is the water oftentimes. The aesthetics are better. Electric bills are smaller.

L.A. nature is awesome including it's river which is completely or nearly completely encased in concrete. My little "podunk" town has a cave, 3 springs and it's not too uncommon to see deer in my neighborhood.
You have little knowledge of LA then, I run a lot and see deer, coyote, raccoons and etc., all the time. That's the beauty of LA, it's got it all. I understand you like the rural feel and we like the city feel. I come from the rural feel but prefer the city feel. But don't get extreme with it. Both have pros and cons, admit that, respect that and move on.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
Yes, the reason why I love LA is because it has elements of small towns, rural and major city.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
LA and OC have same weather and both beautiful but totally different places. There's a reason why No Doubt and Rage Against the Machine wrote and sang about their hate for Orange County. It's the So Cal version of some of those places in the south and midwest. Just wealthier and prettier.
Eh . . . yes and no, it kind of depends on where you are in Orange County. I will say that although most of OC is boring republican dominated suburbia, OC, IMHO still has more fun and unique experiences that other suburban regions in the country don't have.

On one end of the scale you have places like Yorba Linda (boring and conservative) yet you do have the fun, sexy beach towns (Laguna beach especially) that everyone likes, the well established theme parks (Disneyland and a lesser extent Knotts) that bring in people from across the country, and major ethnic enclaves (Little Saigon/Westminster, or Santa Ana/Mexican) that you don't have in other suburban areas of the south and midwest. But sure, most of it is kind of anywhere America with perfect weather and scenery.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,512 times
Aurora IL might as well be a Mexican enclave.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Eh . . . yes and no, it kind of depends on where you are in Orange County. I will say that although most of OC is boring republican dominated suburbia, OC, IMHO still has more fun and unique experiences that other suburban regions in the country don't have.

On one end of the scale you have places like Yorba Linda (boring and conservative) yet you do have the fun, sexy beach towns (Laguna beach especially) that everyone likes, the well established theme parks (Disneyland and a lesser extent Knotts) that bring in people from across the country, and major ethnic enclaves (Little Saigon/Westminster, or Santa Ana/Mexican) that you don't have in other suburban areas of the south and midwest. But sure, most of it is kind of anywhere America with perfect weather and scenery.
haha, Tex your a little pedantic huh? I didn't mean apple to apples just meant generally. You're right, I just was giving them a contrast between there and LA. I agree with you. Shoot, truth be told I love Laguna Beach!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
haha, Tex your a little pedantic huh? I didn't mean apple to apples just meant generally. You're right, I just was giving them a contrast between there and LA. I agree with you. Shoot, truth be told I love Laguna Beach!
I hope I haven't been giving you the impression that I'm some kind of know-it-all! I'd like to think I'm a humble kind of dude.

Actually I'm a part-time community college geography professor (aspiring full time) so, it kind of comes with the job description. Like an English teacher being a grammar knitpicker.

I was down in Laguna this past week for work, there's some beautiful women down there. And the natural setting is gorgeous too of course.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I hope I haven't been giving you the impression that I'm some kind of know-it-all! I'd like to think I'm a humble kind of dude.

Actually I'm a part-time community college geography professor (aspiring full time) so, it kind of comes with the job description. Like an English teacher being a grammar knitpicker.

I was down in Laguna this past week for work, there's some beautiful women down there. And the natural setting is gorgeous too of course.
Hey Tex, as an aspiring urban planner, I am interested in some GIS courses. Does your college offer any?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 AM

13 posts, read 14,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Oh my bad man.

I know about those songs.

I just think tupacs fits more for a different vibe. I like the way NYC is shown in Jay's video. I think the way LA is built up now, we need to show an LA the world hasn't seen before.
ok I see what you mean. Yes I think it is time for an updated anthem lol.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 AM

13 posts, read 14,849 times
Quote:
Generally, yes! You are correct! I allude to that reaction somewhere on this thread I think but you also get a few that act like you think your ish don't stank...But yes in general you are correct they love some LA and to be honest I only find that people from certain states or cities tend to hate on LA.

I will say this... Milwaukees cost of living has spoiled me...almost to the point I do not want to leave. I live a very comfortable life here, but Cali is my heart lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles