Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be relocating from Philly to the greater LA area. My husband will be working in Thousand Oaks. We understand that the schools near there are good.

However, I have been interviewing for a job in East LA. I presume Thousand Oaks to E. LA is a horrendous commute.

Also, we can get a lot more house for the money in Simi Valley. How long could I expect it to take me to drive from Simi to E. LA vs. Thousand Oaks to E. LA?

How do the schools in Simi compare vs. Thousand Oaks? Are there other good, safe, family neighborhoods that you would recommend. (House budget is around $800k. Hoping for 5bd, 3ba and a pool).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
schools in TO are some of the best in all of southern california. Simi also has good schools, but not at the same level. Simi to ELA would be rough though. getting to either location from any midpoint is not going to be fun, either one or both of you will have a miserable commute. maybe consider somewhere like la crescenta, which will allow your husband to use the 118 and 23 freeways to access TO (traffic is much lighter on these freeways than the 101). La Crescenta will also be considerably closer to ELA, while still having good schools.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM

223 posts, read 524,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
schools in TO are some of the best in all of southern california. Simi also has good schools, but not at the same level. Simi to ELA would be rough though. getting to either location from any midpoint is not going to be fun, either one or both of you will have a miserable commute. maybe consider somewhere like la crescenta, which will allow your husband to use the 118 and 23 freeways to access TO (traffic is much lighter on these freeways than the 101). La Crescenta will also be considerably closer to ELA, while still having good schools.
That's a good suggestion. I commuted from Glendale to Thousand Oaks and it was only fun because I bought a new older Porsche for the drive. I would also plan on going to the gym after work to sort of miss the worst of rush hour coming back to Glendale. Depending on what part of East LA, Pasadena, Montrose and Burbank could be some other options to look at. La Crescenta and La Canada are nicer though.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,389,077 times
Depending where the job is in East L.A and the hours you might work, you maybe able to commute using Ventura Metrolink (nearest from TO is Moorpark) into Union Station and another Metrolink, bus or the Gold Line if your job is near there. Thats just a commute option.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:54 AM

671 posts, read 1,191,139 times
The Gold Line serves the east side of LA and East LA proper. Check to see if your job is near the Gold Line. The Gold Line is the SAFEST and CLEANEST of all the rail lines and the people on board--in the eastern portion--outclass all other rail riders except for those in Pasadena. Gold Line runs every 6-7 minutes during rush hours. The ride form Union Station to the very last station in East LA is about 23 minutes, and the time goes by fast.

While Thousand Oaks isn't really close to a Metrolink commuter rail station, that drive from Thousand Oaks to Ventura County Line Metrolink will be FAR better than driving all the way to East LA. The good thing is taking the Metrolink to Union Station is easy to do. When you arrive at Union Station, you then transfer to the Gold Line to East LA. The transfer is a very short walk to the platform, and your Metrolink ticket or monthly pass INCLUDES fare for Metro, so no extra fare to ride Gold Line. Also, your Metrolink MONTHLY PASS ONLY allows you to board all Amtrak Pacific Surfliners between the two points on your pass at NO additional charge. This allows you use Amtrak service to supplement Metrolink service. In fact, I think one morning southbound Amtrak Pac Surf is a Metrolink Ventura County Line/Amtrak combo service train.

Research at the following sites:

www-dot-mta-net for Gold Line to East LA

www-metrolink-trains-dot-com for commuter train service on Ventura Count Line to Union Station

www-dot-amtrak-dot-com/train-schedules-timetables For Amtrak Pacific Surfliners serving Ventura County stations.

It is quite a distance and horrid commute from Thousand Oaks to East LA. If Gold Line can work for you, you are MUCH better off taking the train. It will keep you from ending your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles