Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 AM

28 posts, read 35,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Lol wth?!?!?!?
It was even here, on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
whether or not you work from home, commuting will still be an issue for you unless you plan on staying in your apartment 24/7. you mentioned you like goin out - there really isn't much goin on in malibu, and no matter what neighborhood you pick, you'll find that eventually you'll get bored and will have to get in your car.

but if you like the beach, i second the advice for hermosa and manhattan beaches, perhaps also redondo beach.
Yeah, but I meant commuting as in commuting to work. I know I'll eventually have to get a car.

Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
Santa Monica > Malibu for young singles (more restaurants, bars, shopping, etc.). Unless things have really changed in the years since I lived there, you won't find many young (<35) adults living in Malibu. The ones that you will find are probably still living with their parents. Malibu has great scenery and a laid-back vibe, and in general it would appeal more (as a place to live) to older adults who can afford it and are past the stage where they want to go out every night.
Thanks! Santa Monica is really pretty place! I can't wait till I get there! Beach looks gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Isn't it interesting how people, just automatically know they want to move to the U.S. without even visiting? Why is it the U.S. is one place where people will move here sight unseen, rather than so much as even taking a vacation here? Then, have the audacity, to just ignore immigration laws.
Isn't it interesting that perhaps I have friends who live over there and haven't had time yet to visit them? Poor me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
You are correct, Newport Beach is very safe and upscale area of Orange County.
Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Sorry, you can't just come to the US. You have to have a job with a US employer . Working on your own
doesn't count.

Immigrating to the US is not easy and you can't just come and live here because you want to.

If you're really serious about immigrating here start reading the US immigration website and learn how to do it. Right now you're in fantasy land which needs to meet reality. If you do find an employer to hire and sponsor you, then perhaps after several years, when and if you get a permanent resident green card, then you can again become self employed. But that's a long ways off.
Jeez, do you seriously think I'm that dumb and didn't make research first? I know how immigration works and how it works in the USA. For your information I'd get investor visa.

Last edited by redandraspberry; 03-02-2013 at 04:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 04:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandraspberry View Post
Hi folks! I'm Lex. This year I'm turning 23, graduating from college and thinking about relocation to US. Money and commuting to work isn't much issue for me as I "work" from home. Basically, I'm living single lifestyle: I love swimming, yoga and going out. Here's something I hope I could find in Malibu:
- plenty of nice, clean beaches
- friendly, easy-going, mostly young [up to 35 let's say] people
- close to nature, parks
- not so far from restaurants and basically civilization [I know Malibu is a bit isolated]

Can I find those things up there? Or you'd rather suggest me different LA's neighbourhood? I'm considering Santa Monica too, but I guess SM is more into families than singles.

If you've got any questions, just ask!
First of all, and this may have been mentioned; you have to have a work visa which you have to have a job to get. This isn't easy..and next, I don't know what you think Malibu is like, but you wouldn't find the lifestyle you want there, not for a 23 year old anyway.

You will need a car in almost any area of Los Angeles to have access to the night life, it isn't like the UK;, there is very little decent mass transit in Los Angeles. Maybe San Francisco would be a better choice.

And you say, money isn't an issue, what do you mean by that? Do you have any idea the cost of living in California? Maybe you do have enough, but you might want to think this idea over, very closely. I am always amazed at the number of young people, living outside the USA that just think you can come to America to live anytime you want. I think you have been reading too much about the illegals that cross the border...

BTW, how about telling us where you heard about crime in Newport Beach? Oh, that's right, you read it here: BULL!! Newport beach probably has less crime than Santa Monica. So, if you did read it here and are depending on things like this, you are not really doing research like you say. How about reading up on the crime reports in the areas you are considering.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,269,928 times
redandraspberry, forgive the animosity on this thread. There are just a lot of bitter people in this forum, some of which don't even live in California, let alone Los Angeles/Malibu. They are not representative of actual residents, most of which are out enjoying themselves.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 AM

23,600 posts, read 24,130,589 times
Thanks for confirming. That is what I recalled, but haven't been there in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
You are correct, Newport Beach is very safe and upscale area of Orange County.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 AM

28 posts, read 35,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You will need a car in almost any area of Los Angeles to have access to the night life, it isn't like the UK;, there is very little decent mass transit in Los Angeles. Maybe San Francisco would be a better choice.

And you say, money isn't an issue, what do you mean by that? Do you have any idea the cost of living in California? Maybe you do have enough, but you might want to think this idea over, very closely. I am always amazed at the number of young people, living outside the USA that just think you can come to America to live anytime you want. I think you have been reading too much about the illegals that cross the border...

BTW, how about telling us where you heard about crime in Newport Beach? Oh, that's right, you read it here: BULL!! Newport beach probably has less crime than Santa Monica. So, if you did read it here and are depending on things like this, you are not really doing research like you say. How about reading up on the crime reports in the areas you are considering.
I've read about it as well! Actually, I would prefer more centric city. Perhaps SF is a great choice! I'll keep that in mind! But I don't mind driving a car as well...

I don't know how big is extacly cost of living, but I will find it out! I won't buy home straight away after I come there. Firstly I want to visit a couple of states, see which one suits me best! I'm only THINKING about relocating to Malibu & California.

I don't need to read crime reports, sir, because they don't always show the truth and they're boring. The best way to know about city's crime is to hear about it from residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
redandraspberry, forgive the animosity on this thread. There are just a lot of bitter people in this forum, some of which don't even live in California, let alone Los Angeles/Malibu. They are not representative of actual residents, most of which are out enjoying themselves.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 AM

919 posts, read 1,784,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandraspberry View Post
Thanks! Truth be told, I've looked at Newport Beach, but I've thought it had some issues with crime. I'll check all of them and I'll make my mind, when I visit them by myself. All look great!
You have to be kidding, there is no way that you did any research re: NB and you came away with the notion that crime was a problem. The only crime in that city is false advertising with all the plastic surgery that the women have done. I would suggest that you stay where you are, if this is the kind of thinking you have re: Socal, honestly, they don't need people like you clogging up the freeways.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:10 AM

919 posts, read 1,784,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Hardly bitter, just realistic. Having lived in Socal/Nocal, I've seen people like OP's by the millions, coming to an area with no sense of place or history, just wanting to live a vibe and having a childish notion that the place is some kind of playground. Real problems exist in CA, pollution, overcrowding, destruction of wetlands, etc, much of it due to OP's attitude that we're here to play. Sorry, we don't need nonsense like that. If that means we tell it like it is, and not the boilerplate happy talk, then so be it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles