Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 AM

62 posts, read 146,002 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of relocating to Long Beach for work. I'll be working near the corner of Long Beach Blvd., and E 4th St. I'm looking to rent an apartment condo for at least a year until I have time to find the best area. I'm looking for recommendations for a 1 bedroom, 1 bath at around $1500 per month. Here's a little about me, invase anyone can offer suggestions:

I'm a 24 year old, single guy. I'm hoping I can find a place relatively to close to bars, restaurants, nightlife, etc. I enjoy sports, the gym, etc. I'm sure Long Beach has leagues and gyms so I'm not too worried about that.

The ideal place would be relatively new, have a balcony, and preferably allow a DirecTV dish (Sunday Ticket, you know). Other than that, I don't have very many wants/needs from the apartment itself. I guess I'd prefer to not be the ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
If a picture is worth 1000 words:

- Green area is where your work will be (roughly)
- Pink sections and nearby areas are where all the action is
- Blue line divides the area you want to live in from the area you probably would not want to.
Stick to the area right of the vertical blue line and under the horizontal blue line and you should be fine.

Check out the listings on Craig's List - Long Beach, which is always a good starting point.
Then once you made a list, using Google Maps or whatever, take a look at the street view of the place to get a better idea but remember Google street images are like a year behind.

If there is a property manager, Google the firm, check out any reviews (Yelp, etc.).

Avoid places that only offer "street only" parking, you want a personal garage or at least parking space, preferably gated.
Always bargain nicely and try to get more for your money on the default amenities/appliances or at least the monthly rent.
Always ask to see if they offer whatever is on your "must have" list.
If you want to get a better vibe of the area and if possible, drive by and check out the area in the evening to see how the noise levels, neighbors, street parking, etc. will be like.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
belmont shore, hands down. 2nd street is fun and there's even a dog beach if that's your thing. you can even ride your bike to work or take a bus if you don't want to drive.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 AM

62 posts, read 146,002 times
thank you for your answers!

TurcoLoco, you should wrap that map up and sell it because it'll answer a lot of questions I've seen about DTLB.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsj81 View Post
thank you for your answers!

TurcoLoco, you should wrap that map up and sell it because it'll answer a lot of questions I've seen about DTLB.
Thank you. If you really liked it that much, I could always use more rep points, u know?

Imho, the really hidden treasures are in the areas in between those known areas. I suggest you get a bicycle and explore the area as much as you can. If you enjoy ethnic food, you will find a lot of hole in the wall places in Long Beach. If you like Asian (Cambodian/Thai) food, it doesn't get much better than the variety in LB. Check out the coffee shops and eateries on Broadway or 4th street, from downtown to Belmont Shores they are scattered all over the place. Heck you might find your next girlfriend/boyfriend in Fingerprints searching through the vinyl bins or enjoying a cup of joe/glass of wine in the eatery next door.

Check out the Farmers Market that forms every Wednesday (if I am not mistaken) by the marina.

Good luck and enjoy LB!

Old 03-30-2013, 06:39 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
I second Belmont Shore. I used to live there and loved it.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
I lived in a 2br condo that was $1500 a month at Atlantic and E. Broadway, basically in the downtown area. It was pretty decent and the apartment was really nice. Downtown does have a lot of homeless people and a lot of noisy traffic though, and the Wal-Mart shopping complex attracts a lot of sleazy people. But I've lived in bigger cities before and I never minded LB's occasional sketchiness very much because it's really pretty tame. Belmont Shores is definitely nicer but it's also more expensive and street parking can be very tough. A friend of mine lives there in a small 1br for about $900 though. A $1500 budget should get you a nice place in either area.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:12 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
Belmont Shore is exactly what your are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles