Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,309,691 times

Advertisements

Grew up in NYC, Brooklyn specifically and have worked in South Central. Several points to this

1-Even in in worst days, Harlem was never on par with the total chaotic environment of South Central

2-Harlem was always seperated by blocks from the expensive part of town, basically life got alot better and still does if you cross under 110th street. The better areas of LA COunty are thankfully many miles from South Central. People who lived in the better parts of Manhatten still had to be on the train with folks who lived in harlem. People that live in Bev Hills, Santa Monica, Brentwood, Woodland Hills, STudio City ect... they're worlds just dont criss cross with those in South Central

and 3- Harlem is not this wonderful mecca that some newly transplanted NYers have made it out to be. Its just that the white population has grown probably by about 10% in the last decade. Whoop de do. If you take a walk around Harlem, much of it still looks run down with trash and rats everywhere, and a good amount of projects and welfare recipients not too far away. All the high rents in Harlem do is, give people the illusion they live in a good area b/c they live in Manahtten. The schools in that area are still crap and no middle class NYer is saying to themselves "I can't wait to get a place in Harlem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,302,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
But right now is Harlem is miles ahead of South Central. You can't even compare the two. I can't ever see normal people actually wanting to live in South LA.
You could say the same thing about Silver Lake and Echo Park 20 years ago. Those neighborhoods were mainly lower class Latino neighborhoods filled with gangs, now it's becomming a hipster mecca. Hollywood also used to a dump full of tattoo shops, and druggies, that is in the process of being revitilized. This city doesn't stay in flux, lol

I could see new Angelinos, and Hipsters moving into the area under the 10(I f'd up on the op, lol). The housing over there is cheap, and the majority of the homes are still well kept.

Newest Listings for West Adams - Zillow

Jefferson Park Real Estate & Jefferson Park Los Angeles Homes for Sale - Zillow

South Los Angeles Real Estate & South Los Angeles Los Angeles Homes for Sale - Zillow

Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:
But right now is Harlem is miles ahead of South Central. You can't even compare the two. I can't ever see normal people actually wanting to live in South LA.
I don't know what's more nauseating--this comment, or seeing yet another "LA vs NY" thread on the front page. This board is pretty much ruined now.

No normal people? Who's living there now? Did you mean white people? FFS.

Anyway, I could see areas north of Exposition gentrifying in the next 10-15 years. USC is on its way already. There is some nice housing stock throughout the region, and its close proximity to red hot DTLA will make it an attractive destination.

As for Harlem--I don't know or care if it's gentrifying or not. This is the L.A. board. What I do know is that South L.A. is a much larger region, making any comparisons between the two pointless.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 04-22-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 PM

367 posts, read 673,652 times
south central is massive. i can see gentrification continuing strong around the USC area, but i don't think it will ever penetrate south of MLK. if the crenshaw line happens then there could be some revitalization in leimert park. it won't be a hipster destination (too far from the silver lake/echo park artistic locus) but i could see it turning into more moneyed community, kind of a black larchmont eventually

anyway, it's far more likely gentrification will spread east into boyle & lincoln heights before south central is touched

Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,253,654 times
Quote:
I don't know you but imo it sounds like you need to get out more and explore Los Angeles. How dare you make such a statement! My brother and his wife bought a nice home in Liemert Park and love it. And both are normal, intelligent, educated, hard working people.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,482,730 times
I agree....it will definitely be boyle heights and lincoln heights first. There are already some signs of gentrification in those two areas....but I haven't heard anything regarding gentrification in South L.A yet.

But I disagree that an area has to be near silver lake/echo park to be a hipster destination.

For example you see plenty of hipsters in the NoHo Arts district and it's pretty far from silver lake/echo park.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,992,607 times
Gentrification really only happens when whites move into a neighborhood. Hispanics, Asians, and to a lesser extent blacks can help, but not really. That being said, whites in LA generally do not move into black neighborhoods so whatever gentrification South LA sees will probably happen in areas that are already mostly Hispanic. But that could change in the future. I can see gentrification happening all along the Expo line. And then that could spread along the Crenshaw line. The blue line will not gentrify. Compton will not gentrify. Watts will not gentrify.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM

367 posts, read 673,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But I disagree that an area has to be near silver lake/echo park to be a hipster destination.

For example you see plenty of hipsters in the NoHo Arts district and it's pretty far from silver lake/echo park.
I feel like closeness to those areas is important. Basically as less hip people with more $$$ move in to SL/EP for indie cred and to feel young again, the artists and poser artists move to the neighboring, cheaper areas so they can still hang out in echo park, because that's where the music venues and vegan pho restaurants are. Eventually that neighborhood will become too passé (Silver Lake is pretty much at this point) and they will start to do things in their own area. That seems to be the trend of gentrification across the country.

In regards to NoHo, I don't get the feeling that there aren't many artists there. Steel and glass condos and some trendy restaurants and bars are more indicative of an early 30s professional crowd with a marginal interest in art.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,433,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I don't know you but imo it sounds like you need to get out more and explore Los Angeles. How dare you make such a statement! My brother and his wife bought a nice home in Liemert Park and love it. And both are normal, intelligent, educated, hard working people.
I guess. I explored much of LA in my first month here but wasn't really impressed. So now I just live in my bubble.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,482,730 times
I'm in my early 30s but the crowd in Noho feels much younger. There are also a ton of theatres (a form of art) , and many dance studios. One could argue there are more outlets for the arts in Noho arts than in Echo park. It seems that many in Echo Park are just trying to get on the " hipster"bandwagon..not sure if that makes them artists. It seems like it's getting be more to the point of Silverlake almost ...property prices are insane.

You could also argue that there are more amenities closer to this area versus Echo Park area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles