Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,111 times

Advertisements

Hello.

My husband and I are considering moving to Downtown LA for work, and would like suggestions for areas to check out. We'd be looking for places that aren't too rough (although we aren't really fraidy cats) and with plenty going on. Good food nearby is really important, as is access to transit. An urban lifestyle, with the ability to walk to interesting places (food, entertainement etc.) works well for us. Suggestions would be really welcome. We'll be in town next week and would like to know what areas to explore! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbchrist View Post
Hello.

My husband and I are considering moving to Downtown LA for work, and would like suggestions for areas to check out. We'd be looking for places that aren't too rough (although we aren't really fraidy cats) and with plenty going on. Good food nearby is really important, as is access to transit. An urban lifestyle, with the ability to walk to interesting places (food, entertainement etc.) works well for us. Suggestions would be really welcome. We'll be in town next week and would like to know what areas to explore! Thanks in advance.
Historic Core (Spring and Main between 2-9th Streets), South Park (area near Staples Center), the Arts District (way on the east side of DTLA, Traction Ave is the main drag I think), and Little Tokyo (just north of the Arts District) are the best areas to live in DTLA.

Just outside of the freeway loop you have City-West (just west of the 110) and Chinatown (just north of the 101). Both are decent areas though I think the Chinatown / El Pueblo area might be a little safer than City-West (but don't quote me on that).

Old 05-01-2013, 12:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I think DTLA is definitely an exciting place to live these days and has been for a few years . Just wondering where do you live now? You should definitely check out the area pretty well to make sure it's what you want. DTLA has come a long way but there are still some serious issues, homelessness , crime, etc.

Suggestions above of areas are good ones.

It sounds like you would enjoy living in DTLA , tons of food places opening up all the time and definitely access to transit

Old 05-01-2013, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,111 times
Currently we live in Bozeman, Montana - HOWEVER, even here we live a fairly urban lifestyle (not your typical bozemanites for sure) and when we move we are ready for a total change. Ideally enjoying some of the things we miss here - like warm weather and a variety of good food. As I said, we're pretty adventurous. We most definitely want to be close to activity, not isolated or doomed to spend more time in our car.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Downtown isn't really that big. You'd do fine anywhere bounded by the 110/101/Los Angeles St/Olympic Bl and also include in that Little Toyko and the area between Olympic and the 10 from about Olive to the 110. Actually there's other ok areas west of the 110, in echo park, Elysian park and even small parts of east la and Lincoln park, but the walking factor is heavily diminished.

Fwiw, the best concentration of restaurants at this moment is 7th street between about Grand and Fig.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
DTLA is still in recovery--lots of parking lots to fill and lacks a lot of high end retail. The easy access to the subway is your saving grace and is a HUGE plus, but even this isn't all that great yet as the Westside expansion will not be completed for a while.

Once the Westside expansion is completed though, DTLA (and anything near Wilshire in general) will flourish and become one of the hottest locations in the nation. Until then though...

Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
DTLA is still in recovery--lots of parking lots to fill and lacks a lot of high end retail. The easy access to the subway is your saving grace and is a HUGE plus, but even this isn't all that great yet as the Westside expansion will not be completed for a while.

Once the Westside expansion is completed though, DTLA (and anything near Wilshire in general) will flourish and become one of the hottest locations in the nation. Until then though...
They've tore up at least 4 of those parking lots and high rise lofts are currently being built at 8th/hope, 8th/olive, and I forget where else. As to high end retail, I really wouldn't expect that to happen.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 AM

223 posts, read 523,760 times
We lived at Met Lofts on Flower across from Staples Center. That area is called South Park. We had a great time living in that loft for a year. But rent went sky high the next year so we bought a house near Pasadena. One nice thing is that we were able to get 2 parking spots, which seems harder to find at a lot of the buildings. A plus is that South Park has the Ralphs within close walking distance.

I would look at the places that are within a block or two of LA Cafe. That is sort of the center of the stuff to do if you live Downtown. We originally looked in that area but it felt a bit rough at the time.

Little Tokyo also seems like an interesting area to live as there are a lot of new shops opening up.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Yeah Little Tokyo does seem interesting...I always felt it was very clean and there's a lot of stuff going on in Little Tokyo and the Arts District area is very hot right now which is right next to Little Tokyo. I think DTLA is a really exciting place right now. It's nice to see since i was born in L.A and remember taking trips with family to the wholesale/toy district. The nice thing about Downtown is it hasn't totally been gentrified and those wholesale areas are still there.
I know thing are happening like Grand Central Market will be getting renovated with more 'hip' type places it sounds like...but I actually think that will improve it. I only went once and the Pupusa place was pretty good..but it felt like it could be cleaned up a bit.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:45 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
They've tore up at least 4 of those parking lots and high rise lofts are currently being built at 8th/hope, 8th/olive, and I forget where else. As to high end retail, I really wouldn't expect that to happen.
It is starting to happen, actually. ACNE, Urban Outfitters, Brooks Brothers - slowly but surely it is happening.

I don't think the Westside Extension is going to have that huge of an impact on DTLA. Perhaps it will gain more nightlife as Westsider-s will be able to get in and out quickly and be able to avoid drinking and driving. If anything the Regional Connector will have a bigger impact, as the Gold Line, Expo and Blue Line will finally be routed through downtown instead of stopping at the north and south ends of it.

I do think the streetcar will add some life to DTLA too - at the very least for tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles