Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,075 times

Advertisements

OK so 26 and i'm moving to Los Angeles. I've dated all different races throughout my life but i've heard their is a lot of tension in LA between Black and Mexicans (I know for a fact there is). My problem is that my mom is from Mexico and she raised me with all mexican traditions but cause I'm mix, I'm a light brown. When I visited LA some latinos look at me like I was in the wrong place. This girl called me dark as if she was disgusted with me I just get the vibe like they wouldn't date me, but out in the east coast I get along well with Dominican Cubans and PR. I just find it sad that i'm brown and i get all these looks in LA. N all my family is mexican there so im going to places where blacks wouldnt go so when I show up its like they look at me twice. Jus cause im darker, i never knew that my on race would be racist against me. I think that mexicans get whitewash in LA or something. I just need some advice and be honest [mod]english only please[/mod]

Last edited by Count David; 05-26-2013 at 01:17 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 10:57 AM

155 posts, read 260,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1874life View Post
OK so 26 and i'm moving to Los Angeles. I've dated all different races throughout my life but i've heard their is a lot of tension in LA between Black and Mexicans (I know for a fact there is). My problem is that my mom is from Mexico and she raised me with all mexican traditions but cause I'm mix, I'm a light brown. When I visited LA some latinos look at me like I was in the wrong place. This girl called me dark as if she was disgusted with me I just get the vibe like they wouldn't date me, but out in the east coast I get along well with Dominican Cubans and PR. I just find it sad that i'm brown and i get all these looks in LA. N all my family is mexican there so im going to places where blacks wouldnt go so when I show up its like they look at me twice. Jus cause im darker, i never knew that my on race would be racist against me. I think that mexicans get whitewash in LA or something. I just need some advice and be honest Moderator cut: english only please
I don't know what kind of advice you need. There are indeed many Latinos in SoCal with anti-Black prejudices. In fact, I'd wager most of them feel this way.

Your best bet is to find a better-educated circle of people, and stay away from the East side of LA and poorer Latino neighborhoods in the region. Latinos native to this region tend to be extremely narrow-minded and unaware of the demographics of the rest of the country, and extremely unaware of the history of Caribbean Latinos.

In the end, ignore all those people who give you looks and start to spend time in more diverse sections of town. You can't change these people, and the lower-classes are notoriously simple-minded, racist and unwilling to expand their horizons.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 PM

53 posts, read 117,479 times
Stay away from the ignorant fools who subscribe to and engage in this kind of backward A$$ way of thinking and you'll be fine.

Agreed that more education generally leads to less overall bias but don't forget what Mark Twain said about education, "I never let schooling interfere with my education." In other words, ignorance and bias is not limited to one class. But LA is big enough and open minded enough that you will find plenty of girls who will want to date you.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:25 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,026,039 times
On one hand, yes, take the advice of the other posters and ignore the ignorant/racist people cause they're out there.

On the other hand, your screename has a 187 in it? Like seriously? You seem like the type who's going to get into some trouble (without knowing anything else about you)....so umm good luck.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:31 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,171,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
On one hand, yes, take the advice of the other posters and ignore the ignorant/racist people cause they're out there.

On the other hand, your screename has a 187 in it? Like seriously? You seem like the type who's going to get into some trouble (without knowing anything else about you)....so umm good luck.
Is it 187 for Life or 1874 Life? I'm thinking it's the former, but would be ecstatic if it were the latter.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:37 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,026,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
Is it 187 for Life or 1874 Life? I'm thinking it's the former, but would be ecstatic if it were the latter.
Yeah good question, I wasn't entirely sure either, but just assumed. I guess we'll find out.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
OK so 26 and i'm moving to Los Angeles. I've dated all different races throughout my life but i've heard their is a lot of tension in LA between Black and Mexicans (I know for a fact there is). My problem is that my mom is from Mexico and she raised me with all mexican traditions but cause I'm mix, I'm a light brown. When I visited LA some latinos look at me like I was in the wrong place. This girl called me dark as if she was disgusted with me I just get the vibe like they wouldn't date me, but out in the east coast I get along well with Dominican Cubans and PR. I just find it sad that i'm brown and i get all these looks in LA. N all my family is mexican there so im going to places where blacks wouldnt go so when I show up its like they look at me twice. Jus cause im darker, i never knew that my on race would be racist against me. I think that mexicans get whitewash in LA or something. I just need some advice and be honest
You really will not encounter very many problems. MANY Latinos and Blacks date and marry in SoCal. I have several Blaxican cousins (from several Black/Latino marriages within my family) to attest to that fact.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,947,204 times
Hahaha 187 FO' LIFE YO!!

U know wut it iz!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
...out in the east coast I get along well with Dominican Cubans and PR. I just find it sad that i'm brown and i get all these looks in LA. N all my family is mexican there so im going to places where blacks wouldnt go so when I show up its like they look at me twice...
It's very different on the East Coast and I've heard a lot of Mexicans talk smack about PR's and the rest. Unfortunately we don't all get along.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Don't be so damn judgmental. How do you know it's not a quote from his favourite film? or a rap song? How do you know he's not just making fun? But I will judge you and call you sensitive and extremely judgmental. It's just a screen name. Damn.

Last edited by Miss Pip; 05-26-2013 at 11:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles