Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,463 times

Advertisements

I also think it's what I call "cool kid envy". In high school anybody that wasn't seen as cool, at some point wanted to be, even if they wouldn't admit it. Some tried hard and weren't, others thought they were but weren't really. But those kids always hated the cool kids. They talked about them, hated everything that they stood for--all based on perception. I remember this chubby kid in class having the biggest attitude with me for no reason and I could never put my finger on it until later it hit me, he thinks I'm cool or that I think I'm cool and just hates me. LA and California in general, is a bunch of cool kids. Give people a chance and they'll move out here if they could but since they can't, they just hate on it. Don't get me wrong there are some annoying things about Californians that rightfully deserve frowns but still, most people don't even know that, you'd have to live here to really know those things and since they don't, it's just conjecture.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,293,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Hollywood is the main reason. Many in the Midwest believe LA residents have their noses up in the air. And they believe they drive everywhere, even half a block (actually some do that almost anywhere in the USA), unaware LA even has a subway.
To be fair, there are LA residents that are unaware LA has a subway.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
I think a lot of it is based on some kind of belief that the values/culture of those in L.A is so much different from theirs. The media and reality tv shows really don't help. From the outside L.A could be viewed as a very superficial place.
They see the realhousewives of Beverly Hills,etc , but they don't see the working class mothers of the nonupscale areas because these types of 'normal people' aren't glamorous. So they view L.A being either filled with rich people or gangbangers (which might not actually be too far from the truth the way things are going with the middle class disappearing!) .

On the other hand I think that those in L.A have a lot of stereotypes about all the places between L.A and NYC , there seems to be an attitude among those in L.A that all the other cities are lesser places for lesser people with nothing going on. Even those in big cities can be pretty ignorant too.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Envy and jealousy from watching too much TV. That's what you do in the midwest and east coast from October until March; You sit inside and watch people in LA roller blading on the strand in February in short pants in 72F weather.
Envy and Jealousy, and not because of the weather per se. Its Los Angeles, and LA has Hollywood. The same people that hate on LA would hate on NY as well. Both are major cities that have lots of rich people. Not that both cities don't have poverty, but living in a major international city is in the minds of a lot of people out of their reach. Its something they would LIKE to do, but can't do it because of FEAR or perceived lack of opportunity.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I also think it's what I call "cool kid envy". In high school anybody that wasn't seen as cool, at some point wanted to be, even if they wouldn't admit it. Some tried hard and weren't, others thought they were but weren't really. But those kids always hated the cool kids. They talked about them, hated everything that they stood for--all based on perception. I remember this chubby kid in class having the biggest attitude with me for no reason and I could never put my finger on it until later it hit me, he thinks I'm cool or that I think I'm cool and just hates me. LA and California in general, is a bunch of cool kids. Give people a chance and they'll move out here if they could but since they can't, they just hate on it. Don't get me wrong there are some annoying things about Californians that rightfully deserve frowns but still, most people don't even know that, you'd have to live here to really know those things and since they don't, it's just conjecture.
BINGO. California itself is still the nation's biggest ecomony (if Cali were its own country it would be 7th biggest in the world). You have Hollywood, Silicon Valley, Boeing/Aerospace, excellent universities, etc. So in other words, its popular to HATE on not just LA but the state itself. Ny gets some of that from the same crowd, though.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
+1 Good post. I'm from the East Coast (DC area, born & raised) and I don't hate California, hell if anything, I would love to visit the place one day! Starting with the San Francisco Bay Area though But I would love to visit L.A. too, I just don't know where to start lol I'm sure I'll love Cali and the California State of Mind...especially since I'm kind of a mellow, laid-back yet calm-minded person in nature.

The Recipe by Kendrick Lamar ft. Dr. Dre | Interscope - YouTube

Hope to see the beautiful Golden State soon

Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girbaud King View Post
What did LA ever do to people in the Mid-West and South to make some of them hate us so much? I spend a lot of time staying current on news of all types. When the articles involve LA or California, I frequently run into reader comments that exasperate an irrational hatred of LA? Typically the readers are from the Mid West or South. They're comments are so horrible. Like, wishing that all of LA will soon to fall into the ocean? What's up with that? I've never read a reader comment in an article, in which someone from LA wishes that people in Wisconsin will soon all die from a tornado? Seriously, I love LA so much and I don't why some folks in this country have to hate on this city so much? Oh, it also seems like there's a lot of LA haters in Texas and Nevada?
since I'm from that part of the country, I honestly believe that it's the Hollywood image of California that people dislike about California. Also, it's the fact that ultra-rich Californians have invaded our cities, paid cash for the most beautiful homes and in the process have made housing very expensive in desirable cities like Austin. As a very large state with big political muscle, it also ensured that Obama won the Presidency. That couldn't help too much in a state like Texas.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
It isn't hate. I don't think most people care. If I asked someone if they wanted to eat a doo doo sandwich most people would say ewww. That's doesn't mean they hate doo doo sandwiches it just means that they think it is nasty and wouldn't recommend it. Get it? I'm not comparing LA to doo doo because I like LA but I was just making a point. If someone from LA said they were moving to Baghdad and nobody recommended it it doesn't mean that they hate Baghdad it just means that they were giving their opinion. Some people need to learn the difference between hate and giving an honest opinion.

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 06-25-2013 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Heck, there are people in San Francisco and even San Diego that "hate on" L.A. Some of that is the sports rivalries, but it is usually more than that. I think in the Midwest (I grew up there my first 12 years), it is not so much directed toward LA specifically as the "cities on the East and West coasts" needing to be more respectful and not consider it all flyover territory.

I can't speak for the attitude toward LA in the South. I have only been to Florida on vacation (20 years ago) and do not know anyone there.
So I guess I am wrong about Sacramentans being the Champion L.A. Haters. According to them, everything bad about the city is because of all the black gang bangers from L.A. and Oakland who absconded from the law and took refuge here, infesting and corrupting the tranquil cowtown during the late 1980's and 90's. But even still, we have no smog crime or traffic here, like that dastardly Los Angeles. Lol

Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
OP I know your life is miserable, but how many more anti-midwest/chicago/south/west/not-LA trolling rants do you need to make? You had a sucky life in Chicago. We get it. Your very angry about it. We see that. LA awesome, everywhere else lame. Again, we hear ya. Now, can you go find a new hobby or something?
Hmm... I must be miserable too since I missed what is so annoying about the OP's post. Oh, I forgot. I'm from L.A. too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles