Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ya but...the ratio of people moving from the midwest to SoCal to the people moving from SoCal to the midwest is 69 to 1.
With all due respect I think that is a somewhat outdated view. I grew up in the Midwest and most people I knew there, if they moved at all, moved to AZ, NV, FL, GA, NC, etc. I don't know many besides myself who moved to CA, much less LA. And knew more than a few transplants from the LA area.

Admittedly, I myself was a hater of LA for a long time. My impression was that it was a filthy city with terrible air quality, traffic, sprawl problems, shallow people, etc. After living in SD for 4 years I moved up here due to an awesome job offer. When my friends in both SD and the Midwest found out I was moving the common reaction was "oh, I'm so sorry" like i had just lost a pet or something, lol. But to be honest I've actually really enjoyed LA. Some stereotypes are deserved, others aren't, but I actually think I like it up here much more than San Diego and definitely concede that I had some really inaccurate prejudices about this city. In reality it is very much a world class city with a lot to offer if you take advantage of its opportunities.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Q: Why do people in the Mid-West, South, @ SW hate on LA so much?
A: Cause they aren't living in CA!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:06 AM

389 posts, read 1,219,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane4madonna View Post
Your religion (and people like you) are the reason this country its so backwards and cant move foward.
Stay in your redneck village reading your bible and killing animals with your lovely guns.
I don't kill animals and don't even like guns but happen to believe in the 2nd Amendment. It is because I do fear the government as all sane people should. Perhaps you have heard of the NSA scandal where they monitor your every move. 1984 finally arrived.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 AM

389 posts, read 1,219,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
rmissourimule, come now. Why are we discussing the presidential election as if one candidate's failure to win is some systemic flaw, or particularly California's fault? Obama won not just the Electoral College but the popular vote, by 3%.

This is now beyond the purpose of the thread, an editorial you seem to want to air regardless and now you've aired it. You may be assured (or surprised) that there are pockets in California that would agree with you. California is quite a diverse state, politically too. And I'm sure you'd be dismayed (hopefully unsurprised) that many Arkansans would disagree with you. I wouldn't know for sure though. I don't go to the Arkansas forums.
But the whole point is that where California goes, so goes the rest of the United States. It is in fact true that California determines the outcome of the presidential elections. I have followed politics for most of my life and I knew that Romney could not win the election two months before the election. It is just a matter of doing simple math.

I'm sure that many Arkansans don't agree with me but a majority do. BTW, I'm from Missouri having retired in Arkansas but Missouri is much the same.

The question asked was why was L.A. hated by so many people in the U.S. L.A. is the epitome of what most see as being California. So what I said was quite germane. If not for the politics I wouldn't feel as I do. I've been to California a number of years ago. For certain it is a beautiful state, mostly wonderful weather and many attributes. But I can't get away from the politics. Just because California seems hell bent in going bankrupt should it have the power to bankrupt the entire United States? I don't think so.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM

22 posts, read 28,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane4madonna View Post
Your religion (and people like you) are the reason this country its so backwards and cant move foward.
Stay in your redneck village reading your bible and killing animals with your lovely guns.
You're not to bright are you? I love how you just use sterotypes to show your "superior" being to everyone.

1- I will never own a gun. I don't see a reason too.

2- You think everyone kills animals here? I will never kill an animal unless it's going to attack me, attack someone else, or if I was in the middle of nowhere with nothing else to eat. It would still pain me I would have to kill one to survive. But you must do that sort of stuff to survive, or you won't.

3- We need both religion and science in this world; we just can't have one. Yes, go ahead and laugh because you think this is bogus. Having only one of them creates a dystopia. We need science for medicine and technology and we need religion for hope and family.

Maybe if you knew more about culture and the regions of your country you woulden't be getting this reply right now.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Not sure... I grew up in SouthEast, if you consider Florida Southeast... People were all about LA there. People definitely bash CA in Chicago, not everybody, some love it. I'd say equal lovers and bashers. not just LA, but California in general. I took some flack when I moved from SF to Chicago... even though I'd already lived in Chicago.

While I'm not big on religion... I have no problems with people who want guns... Different strokes for differnet folks. I don't think they are good in inner city, plenty of hunters in this country though. they are the reason your suburbs aren't overrun with "critters."

The only thing I critique LA on is the city layout could be better and built more like SF for example. I like the stuff there, the weather, the mountains, the restaurants, the museums... all good with me.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
It seems like it would be hard for L.A to be built like SF because it's so much bigger than SF. Also the geography is different too.

I agree with the hunting, people in L.A don't generally hunt although some do. In other areas of the US, it's just part of the culture . If I was born somewhere else I'd probably hunt and own a gun who knows..

Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
So true. My uncle lives in San D and will never visit here. He and his friends/neighbors make snide remarks about LA whenever I go down to visit. In my experience, San Diegans seem more hateful than San Franers.

On the flip side, I constantly deal with pretentious members of the LA academe community try to undermine or "hate on" New England via snide comments, etc... but I've never heard anyone in NE say anything negative about LA or California. NYC, different story.

In the South, I've experienced more people hating cities in general- not LA in particular, but ALL cities (outside the South, anyway). Can't speak to the Midwest.
Seriously? I have found that people in CA are extremely reverential towards New England and think everything that comes from there must be classy and old-world.

However, when I lived in Boston and mentioned I was from California, I was constantly stereotyped and "Oh I love San Francisco, but can't stand Los Angeles" became quite a common refrain.

Personally I didn't care for 7/10ths of the New Englanders I met out there.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The hatred is really toward Hollywood and it's becasue Hollywood seems like it hates the South and traditional American values. Also Hollywood is partiall the reason people in the Middle East hate America. Stil, I hate when people sa cruel things about LA or Cali too.
LOL trust me, this has so very little to do with why the vast majority of Middle East radicals hate us. Bin Ladin loved Bonanza (or some other mid-century western TV show). I'll go with decades of back-stabbing, broken promises, land-stealing and meddling in their affairs as 99 percent of the reason they hate us (okay, a good chunk of that is also religious fanaticism, interestingly enough, also part of the reason middle-America despises California / Los Angeles).

Last edited by munchitup; 07-03-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
The reason I despise California (all of it) is that I don't think one state should determine U.S. national presidential elections. If it were up to me I would give California back to Mexico as it was stolen anyway. The only way this would change would be if California would split into three states. Then I would change my mind.
How does California determine national elections? Bush won without winning California, twice.

In fact, if we broke up into three states we would have even more power, and instead of two Senators we would get 6, and they most likely would all be Democrats, or perhaps 2/3 Democrats depending on how it was broken up (make a Republican state out of the Central Valley and SD / Imperial Counties). We would still have the same amount of electoral college votes, and the GOP would get very little out of the "new" conservative state which would be made up of California's least populous areas, giving it very few electoral college votes.

And not that I want California to leave the USA, but instead of giving us back to Mexico how about letting us become our own country? I think giving up California would be a huge mistake for the United States.

Also, I had to LOL at the Democrats committing voter fraud - ever heard of Voter Registration Cards? While there certainly are some disturbing tactics being used in Philadelphia and a few other inner cities by radical groups, the systematic and institutionalized disenfranchisement of lower-class minority voters by GOP party officials is much more disturbing and un-American (and it has pretty much becoming the GOP's sole strategy to beat the demography battle they are losing badly). Turn off Fox News and pick up a copy of the Economist, a real conservative news source.

Last edited by munchitup; 07-03-2013 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles