Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:49 AM

23 posts, read 45,778 times

Advertisements

I live in the Midwest currently, but adore LA (for the most part)

The main reason people in the Midwest are distrustful of those from LA (and New York for that matter)
You refer to yourselves as the "cool" kids and are dismissive of people in "flyover" country. You assume that we are jealous of your lives - and while some are, a vast majority are not. People from the Midwest who do come on this forum to inquire about moving to LA are often not treated very kindly - and when you are from this area of the country manners are still a big deal.

While you do have great weather - we have room here - LOTS of it. We have four seasons. (and I can't even describe how much I will miss the Spring/Summer thunderstorms) We have an affordable cost of living. Most of us have very low crime rates. Traffic is rare. At night we can catch fireflies and you can actually see the stars.

There are great things about LA... There are great things about the Midwest.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malevolentkitty View Post

There are great things about LA... There are great things about the Midwest.
Ya but...the ratio of people moving from the midwest to SoCal to the people moving from SoCal to the midwest is 69 to 1.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 AM

30,542 posts, read 19,295,080 times
The hatred is really toward Hollywood and it's becasue Hollywood seems like it hates the South and traditional American values. Also Hollywood is partiall the reason people in the Middle East hate America. Stil, I hate when people sa cruel things about LA or Cali too.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:00 PM

8,343 posts, read 13,490,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ya but...the ratio of people moving from the midwest to SoCal to the people moving from SoCal to the midwest is 69 to 1.
Charles, you do have a dirty mind!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,509,745 times
I once read about the idea that people in cosmopolitian areas like NYC or L.A actually have more in common with others in other cosmopolitan areas in other countries like London and Paris. This is probably pretty true. I could see that the lifestyles and hobbies of those in L.A might be similar to those in Paris for example.

In Hollywood films though I think everyone is stereotyped and every region. It's kind of sad..but true.

How many films have the person from the midwest that moved to L.A , and then dreads going back to their boring hometown filled with 'losers'.

Just living in a city doesn't make anyone a 'winner' or a 'loser'. It's ridiculous.

Is the ratio really 69 to 1? That sounds huge..

I think this will change and seems to be changing . There seems to be interesting things going on in some of these midwest/rust belt cities

This is pretty interesting
Silicon Rust Belt » Rethink The Rust Belt

Lot's of areas are getting recognized for their tech scenes and entrepreneurship. With lower real estate and cost of living comes opportunity.

There is this whole trend of Rust Belt Chic and revitalizing these cities, and I don't think a lot of people are really aware of it. I think this is going to really change how these cities are viewed in the near future.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 PM

22 posts, read 28,289 times
I'm from the Midwest and I don't think we "hate" them, we just hate how cocky some of them are. Some people there think they're better then everyone else and that the rest of the country doesn't matter. I'm sure most people from LA aren't like that but I think there are a few. They assume everyone in the Midwest is a farmer and is uneducated. I'm not a genius; I'm far from one, but I do think I'm fairly smart. There are smart and dumb people everywhere and believing in stereotypes makes someone one of the dumb ones. LA isn't perfect and never will be and never has been. Nor will anywhere else in the country.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 PM

Yeah it's pretty sad. I guess there is just a lot of ignorance in the country. Not too many people choose to take the time or have the time (because of work,school) to really experience other places.

People from L.A or NYC for example are probably many times more likely to go out of the country if they have time off versus somewhere in the Midwest (unless they have family there).

Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM

14,719 posts, read 14,692,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There is this whole trend of Rust Belt Chic and revitalizing these cities, and I don't think a lot of people are really aware of it. I think this is going to really change how these cities are viewed in the near future.
This is true, and while I don't know if I'll personally stay here long-term, the "Rust Belt" cities are gaining ground with those who may have done their thing in California or New York for a time but are looking to stretch their dollar further. Not only can you get a classic Victorian or Tudor for 100k and a pint of local microbrew for four bucks, you're next to the largest freshwater source on Earth. The 21st century will be a fight for resources, so living somewhere with lower population and higher natural resources has its advantages.
Not making this a Midwest vs LA discussion, just adding some perspective from an ex-Californian.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:08 PM

389 posts, read 1,220,537 times
The reason I despise California (all of it) is that I don't think one state should determine U.S. national presidential elections. If it were up to me I would give California back to Mexico as it was stolen anyway. The only way this would change would be if California would split into three states. Then I would change my mind.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:15 PM

Interesting...I was in Ohio in October, but it was the part close to Pittsburgh ..actually we went to Holmes county to visit Amish Country. I really want to visit the cities in Ohio though, especially Cincinnati. It really sounds like some interesting things are happening there. I really feel some big changes will come ,and for those looking at the news and having an open mind they are already happening. Many cities are now competing with Silicon Valley for example.

Getting in on the 'ground floor' so to speak in the cities sounds like a pretty smart idea versus trying to establish yourself in a place where the homes cost a fortune.

Too many people have the narrow-minded view that the 'opportunities' are only in L.A ,NY ,SF . Where is the next city that will have the type of growth L.A or NYC has had in the past?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles