Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girbaud King View Post
What did LA ever do to people in the Mid-West and South to make some of them hate us so much? I spend a lot of time staying current on news of all types. When the articles involve LA or California, I frequently run into reader comments that exasperate an irrational hatred of LA? Typically the readers are from the Mid West or South. They're comments are so horrible. Like, wishing that all of LA will soon to fall into the ocean? What's up with that? I've never read a reader comment in an article, in which someone from LA wishes that people in Wisconsin will soon all die from a tornado? Seriously, I love LA so much and I don't why some folks in this country have to hate on this city so much? Oh, it also seems like there's a lot of LA haters in Texas and Nevada?
Because you chose to use a couple internet haters to represent Midwesterners and Southerners.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:34 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

On the other hand I think that those in L.A have a lot of stereotypes about all the places between L.A and NYC , there seems to be an attitude among those in L.A that all the other cities are lesser places for lesser people with nothing going on. Even those in big cities can be pretty ignorant too.
This is so true. It's the "cool kids" reversed. The cool kids were always really aloof and/or looked down on being or associating with people that weren't cool. Being from WI, whenever I tell people in Cali they 1. always call it random 2. later attempt to reference it and call it Michigan or a some other city in the midwest. and not that wasn't a typo, they actually call it a city. Or if a say Milwaukee they think that's a state. It's annoying as heck.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
BINGO. California itself is still the nation's biggest ecomony (if Cali were its own country it would be 7th biggest in the world). You have Hollywood, Silicon Valley, Boeing/Aerospace, excellent universities, etc. So in other words, its popular to HATE on not just LA but the state itself. Ny gets some of that from the same crowd, though.
7th now, use to be 5th. Times are rough.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
+1 Good post. I'm from the East Coast (DC area, born & raised) and I don't hate California, hell if anything, I would love to visit the place one day! Starting with the San Francisco Bay Area though But I would love to visit L.A. too, I just don't know where to start lol I'm sure I'll love Cali and the California State of Mind...especially since I'm kind of a mellow, laid-back yet calm-minded person in nature.

The Recipe by Kendrick Lamar ft. Dr. Dre | Interscope - YouTube

Hope to see the beautiful Golden State soon
I'd say MOST of the people I meet typically have your attitude when I'm out and about. I took an unusual road trip out here and stopped in a couple different states and everyone was like, "LA? Ooh, that sounds amazing..." I actually don't run into that many that hate on it, but when I do, it comes off as envy.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,938 times
Most of the people I talk to here in Milwaukee are usually impressed by the fact I'm from out of state. Many of those that have been to LA tell me they liked the city but would never want to live there due to the smog/ traffic / high cost of living / schools / etc. All of these are perfectly reasonable as far as I'm concerned.

Not everyone has to like LA. I'm sure there are many places you hate on that you've never been to. If you told me ten years ago I would be living in Wisconsin I would have just laughed and said you were high on cheese. However now that I have been here awhile I can at least appreciate it for the advantages it has over a city like LA

Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Most of the people I talk to here in Milwaukee are usually impressed by the fact I'm from out of state. Many of those that have been to LA tell me they liked the city but would never want to live there due to the smog/ traffic / high cost of living / schools / etc. All of these are perfectly reasonable as far as I'm concerned.

Not everyone has to like LA. I'm sure there are many places you hate on that you've never been to. If you told me ten years ago I would be living in Wisconsin I would have just laughed and said you were high on cheese. However now that I have been here awhile I can at least appreciate it for the advantages it has over a city like LA

You'll be back in LA in two years.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
7th now, used to be 5th. Times are rough.
Correction for both of you. California is now down to 12th.

Comparison between U.S. states and countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
This thread is too funny. What makes any of you think that people in other parts of the country give Los Angeles, much less California a thought, much less waste the emotional energy to hate it? Sure, there are those who have no lives and nothing better to do but I very much doubt that the rest if the country's population gives a flying fig about L.A.

Hate to prick your ego balloon but 9/10 of the country's population probably doesn't want to live in CA or they would.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This thread is too funny. What makes any of you think that people in other parts of the country give Los Angeles, much less California a thought, much less waste the emotional energy to hate it? Sure, there are those who have no lives and nothing better to do but I very much doubt that the rest if the country's population gives a flying fig about L.A.

Hate to prick your ego balloon but 9/10 of the country's population probably doesn't want to live in CA or they would.

Los Angeles #5
World's 10 most hated cities | CNN Travel

Los Angeles #1
1 - Houston Chronicle

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ajor-city.html

Right View from the Left Coast: Los Angeles Only SECOND Most Hated City In The United States?!

America Hates Los Angeles, Poll Says: LAist

Why Do I Hate L.A.? | Nomadic Matt's Travel Site

And the kicker, 1982 Eastern Conference Finals, Philly closing out Boston to play the Lakers in the Finals. Fans IN BOSTON urging Philly to Beat LA (and Boston and Philly hate each other - just not as bad as they HATE LA)

The birth of "BEAT L.A" - YouTube

Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
The superficiality, the liberalism, the obnoxiousness (personified by some celebrities and The Lakers, if you ask me), and of course there's envy and jealousy and maybe some of the hate is a cover for fear of the South Central culture (which isn't as violent as it used to be). People from NYC seem to view LA as a rival - maybe it's an entertainment industry thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles