Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Generally speaking, the people who do break into behind the scenes jobs in Hollywood do have degrees (agent, director, screenwriter, producer, etc.). Very often not in film. It takes a lot of resources to get into the film industry too. Money has to be invested in things like headshots, industry organizations, events, marketing, etc. Its too much go on here because this is not the purpose of this forum.

But someone out of high school who moves to LA to become a screenwriter is very likely to end up in a crappy restaurant job, long term. You don't want that at all. Make sure you have an education, that way you can go out for better day jobs, including some pretty cool day jobs in the industry (and many of these behind the scenes jobs will definitely require degrees.).
I do agree with that, but my argument was in saying that there's no point in going to college for a screenwriting/writing degree. Go for another field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
The only thing I would say about CC in LA, okay, even if classes are cheap, where are you going to live? How are you going to pay for it? Its going to be rough working a regular job and going to school full time in LA. There are people who have done it, but what about the people who drop out?

Its better to live in campus or campus affiliated housing at an university and get on their dining plan. Not sure how much money your family has, but if you're poor you can get financial aid. If you can't get into a real university in LA, I would suggest going to a real university back in the Midwest. I don't think coming to LA just go to a community college is a good idea. You don't even know if you can find reasonable work near the cc.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 PM

26,733 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I take classes at my local community college every semester (West LA College) and the quality is still as good as it ever was.
Maybe you don't plan on transferring, like some of these students do, of you don't attend full time, as they hope to do--but can't.

"Frustrated students linger on waiting lists or crash packed classes hoping professors will add them later. They see their chances of graduating or transferring diminishing.
It's a product of years of severe budget cuts and heavy demand in the two-year college system. The same situation has affected the Cal State and UC systems, but the impact has been most deeply felt in the 2.4-million-student community college system — the nation's largest.
At Pasadena City College, nearly 4,000 students who are seeking a degree or to transfer are taking a single class this fall. About 63% are taking less than 12 units and are considered part time....
Mark Rocha, president of Pasadena City College, said California's once-vaunted community college system has never been in such a precarious state."
California's community colleges staggering during hard times - latimes.com

Old 07-24-2013, 06:28 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Maybe you don't plan on transferring, like some of these students do, of you don't attend full time, as they hope to do but can't.

"Frustrated students linger on waiting lists or crash packed classes hoping professors will add them later. They see their chances of graduating or transferring diminishing.
It's a product of years of severe budget cuts and heavy demand in the two-year college system. The same situation has affected the Cal State and UC systems, but the impact has been most deeply felt in the 2.4-million-student community college system — the nation's largest.
At Pasadena City College, nearly 4,000 students who are seeking a degree or to transfer are taking a single class this fall. About 63% are taking less than 12 units and are considered part time....
Mark Rocha, president of Pasadena City College, said California's once-vaunted community college system has never been in such a precarious state."
California's community colleges staggering during hard times - latimes.com
I already did transfer from West LA a few years ago and got my B.A. It was a great decision. While many students had graduated with massive amounts of students debt. I graduated with virtually none. I'm just completing certificate programs in a different field now. My girl is currently preparing to transfer from West L.A. She hasn't any issues, other than the lack of summer semester. The thing I like most is that even if my local school doesn't have a class I want. I can take the exact same class at any of the other LACCD schools without having to register again.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM

26,733 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I already did transfer from West LA a few years ago
So you escaped the budget cuts, and the OP is discussing attending community college now, when those cuts are in effect.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 PM

I faced budget cuts then even. Summer classes were cancelled, but I was able to take the class I needed at LACC. I also stated that my girl is currently a student at West LA with the intent of transferring. She has been able to take her required classes and then some.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:11 PM

337 posts, read 897,001 times
The only reason I'm discouraging you from doing it is because you wouldn't really see any legitimate benefit until you were technically considered a resident (366 days from your arrival to California with loads of documentation proving intent to stay).

I moved from the east coast to California with my parents when I was in my late teens. I paid the out of state tuition for a year ($253 a credit?) which basically rivals in state tuition at a 4 year university. But, it didn't really matter too much. I had a part time job and no bills besides my motorcycle insurance so it was all easily affordable. As most articles you see and most newspapers you read you'll be hard pressed to find classes due to the cuts. IMO this wasn't really a big deal because my schedule was flexible enough to take any class that was open. I think that's really key here in California's CC system. Most students you hear complaining about not being able to get classes just are not willing (whether beyond their control or not) to jaunt around colleges within' the district and take classes at day, night, evening, morning, etc. And quite frankly, it's apparent some students had unrealistic expectations of breezing by CC and transferring in 2 years without knowing about prerequisites, remedial classes, placement tests, classes not offered, etc. In some semesters I would spend majority of my day riding from one campus to the next, back home, back to some other campus, etc. It all gets easier once you're considered a full time student and you get priority registration. I think California's community college system is one of the best there is, and was definitely a clean slate after my 1.8GPA in high school.

Note: Didn't read thread... so I may just be spewing bull****

Last edited by Count David; 07-25-2013 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 AM

363 posts, read 514,739 times
No. LACCS are not worth it, unless you are in the top 2% mastermind population. Since you didn't even write proper grammar in your post, I'm guessing not.

The first problem is budget shortages. They have cut classes to the point where even the very determined and focused students (Asian immigrants and "honors" students), take a lot longer to get into the classes they need to proceed. It can take even these folks 3-4 years to transfer, just by having to wait. For folks trying to get into specific AA study programs, like nursing, they can wait on a wait-list for years before even beginning.

The second problem is with faculty. Most of the professors at these places are part-time. They may be teaching one or two classes at several different colleges every week because they have no tenure. They're like "freelance" professors. This prompts them to streamline learning into mainly multiple choice question tests, because they're juggling sometimes 6 classes at once or more- that's a lot of students, with not enough time. Students end up with very limited office hours or attention/guidance or enlightenment.

Similarly, the tenured faculty are often jaded, lazy, and angry at having ended up teaching at a community college instead of whatever it is they wished to do with their lives. They, too, streamline everything into teaching to a multiple-choice-test. Some are so bad they don't even teach, and play videos all day and assign reading for homework. You don't learn very much. It doesn't really prepare you for serious study at UCLA or for life, unless you are self-driven and can teach yourself, and are merely after "the degree" with no holds barred.

In addition -and this continues from the last point- the CCs are like "13th grade". The majority of the students at these schools are lazy dullards who couldn't get into "real college" in the first place, and whose parents "made" them go or else get a job. It's an extension of high school (so I don't feel so angry at the lazy professors- why even waste your time when no one cares?). The atmosphere is similar, and doesn't lend to development of those 2% masterminds or honor students.

The student bodies are largely apathetic, unmotivated, ineducable, and simply use the CCs as a conduit for extending their social lives. Little study, growth or learning actually takes place. There are small percents of mid-20's "return to school" students and older boomers returning to learn who tend to be more serious, but the apathetic teen crowd outnumbers them, and so they become discouraged by the majority, and also by the lazy/inattentive prof's apathy, and largely quit.

Lastly, California CCs are only "cheap" for in-state students. Every other student is charged the full fee -about $300-$400 per class, not including books and materials never mind room/board- which is the same price at CCs in every other state, and at the end of the day, amounts to something similar to any other state school tuition in the nation.

I suggest you go to school where you are.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
No. LACCS are not worth it, unless you are in the top 2% mastermind population. Since you didn't even write proper grammar in your post, I'm guessing not.

The first problem is budget shortages. They have cut classes to the point where even the very determined and focused students (Asian immigrants and "honors" students), take a lot longer to get into the classes they need to proceed. It can take even these folks 3-4 years to transfer, just by having to wait. For folks trying to get into specific AA study programs, like nursing, they can wait on a wait-list for years before even beginning.

The second problem is with faculty. Most of the professors at these places are part-time. They may be teaching one or two classes at several different colleges every week because they have no tenure. They're like "freelance" professors. This prompts them to streamline learning into mainly multiple choice question tests, because they're juggling sometimes 6 classes at once or more- that's a lot of students, with not enough time. Students end up with very limited office hours or attention/guidance or enlightenment.

Similarly, the tenured faculty are often jaded, lazy, and angry at having ended up teaching at a community college instead of whatever it is they wished to do with their lives. They, too, streamline everything into teaching to a multiple-choice-test. Some are so bad they don't even teach, and play videos all day and assign reading for homework. You don't learn very much. It doesn't really prepare you for serious study at UCLA or for life, unless you are self-driven and can teach yourself, and are merely after "the degree" with no holds barred.

In addition -and this continues from the last point- the CCs are like "13th grade". The majority of the students at these schools are lazy dullards who couldn't get into "real college" in the first place, and whose parents "made" them go or else get a job. It's an extension of high school (so I don't feel so angry at the lazy professors- why even waste your time when no one cares?). The atmosphere is similar, and doesn't lend to development of those 2% masterminds or honor students.

The student bodies are largely apathetic, unmotivated, ineducable, and simply use the CCs as a conduit for extending their social lives. Little study, growth or learning actually takes place. There are small percents of mid-20's "return to school" students and older boomers returning to learn who tend to be more serious, but the apathetic teen crowd outnumbers them, and so they become discouraged by the majority, and also by the lazy/inattentive prof's apathy, and largely quit.

Lastly, California CCs are only "cheap" for in-state students. Every other student is charged the full fee -about $300-$400 per class, not including books and materials never mind room/board- which is the same price at CCs in every other state, and at the end of the day, amounts to something similar to any other state school tuition in the nation.

I suggest you go to school where you are.
Not true at all. You couldn't be further from the truth. Classes are not difficult to get into, especially now, believe me on that. More and more classes are coming back every semester. You don't have to be a mastermind to transfer at all. Even if you don't have the grades to get into UCLA or USC, who says you have to go to either to get a great education? You can go to any of the Cal States or LMU with a decent GPA. Yes, there are lazy and unmotivated people, but it's so incredibly easy to avoid them. If a student gets distracted by umotivated and lazy people, they had no business being anywhere near a school in the first place.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped_inRockford View Post
So I should go to a CC then transfer? I really dont want to go to school other than Cali. A couple of kids out if my high school did this and are just fine. So many mixed answers. Is it hard even going to a CC in cali as a Illinois resident?
First off, I take issue with anyone that says you do not need to go to college to be a screen writer. This might be the case but going to college will make it much easier. If nothing else you will learn some of the ins and out and hopefully become a better writer. This is like saying, you don't have to go to college to be a journalist.

Yes CC would be the way to start. You may not get all the classes you want the first semester, but you have to start somewhere. Good luck with living in Ca. good luck with school and good luck with your future. bTW, yes, it can be hard getting into a CC from out of state. It would be wise for you to start applying now for maybe the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles