Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:00 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
what I love are those people who walk and text or talk on their phone at the same time, completely oblivious to the outside world, I call them "walkers", like the zombies from "The Walking Dead", when I see one on the street, I go "We got a walker!"
Good story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 AM

103 posts, read 167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
what I love are those people who walk and text or talk on their phone at the same time, completely oblivious to the outside world, I call them "walkers", like the zombies from "The Walking Dead", when I see one on the street, I go "We got a walker!"
haha, i coined the same term when I first moved here from a city where almost nobody walks. As if the almost impossible task of making a left hand turn at an intersection without a protected light wasn't hard enough.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
"Bad drivers" vs. whom? You mean yourself, one who appears to impatiently have little regard for the safety of others, a well understood hallmark of a competent driver? And you are also free to drive yourself back to where you rate drivers better. But first, be courteous enought to at least consider this: V C Section 21950 Right of Way at Crosswalks
How ridiculous. If a person is at a safe distance and inching their way down the crosswalk most sensible people will make the turn. Who is going to sit there and wait for a dude wearing his earbuds, head to the sky, crawling down the crosswalk? But that isn't even the main gist of my point. I am also talking about jaywalkers, people crossing the street at the worst possible times.

Bad drivers are those who don't signal when switching lanes, those who pull out of parking space when there is outcoming traffic. My pet peeve are those people who are parallel parked on the side of the street but open their car doors to get out at the worst possible time when hundreds of cars are speeding by.

These two types; bad drivers and slow, unattentive pedestrians makes for a bad recipe. That's all I was saying. No need for the "take yer opinions and git out" attitude.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Glendale is lightyears ahead, or behind. Depending how you look at it.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
BMW drivers have gotten worse because BMW cars do not come with blinkers anymore.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 PM

223 posts, read 470,831 times
@OP, I too suffer from pedestrians violating the flashing red hand law. What people don't realize (and it's pervasive where I work in Santa Monica), is that they think they cross via the crosswalk any time the main traffic light is still green. The way the law is written, the crosswalk traffic signal turns green and then will eventually start flashing red. At this point, NO NEW pedestrians can enter the crosswalk, and those still in it need to clear out. Instead, people enter way too late and barely exit before the driver's light turns red.

So if you're making a left turn, you get stuck in the middle of the intersection waiting for these effin' inconsiderates. And then opposing traffic is honking at me for blocking the intersection like i'm the a$shole.

The only thing worse than this scenario is if you're #2 in line to make that left turn, and car #1 doesn't pull out into the middle of the intersection.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
How ridiculous. If a person is at a safe distance and inching their way down the crosswalk most sensible people will make the turn. Who is going to sit there and wait for a dude wearing his earbuds, head to the sky, crawling down the crosswalk? But that isn't even the main gist of my point. I am also talking about jaywalkers, people crossing the street at the worst possible times.

Bad drivers are those who don't signal when switching lanes, those who pull out of parking space when there is outcoming traffic. My pet peeve are those people who are parallel parked on the side of the street but open their car doors to get out at the worst possible time when hundreds of cars are speeding by.

These two types; bad drivers and slow, unattentive pedestrians makes for a bad recipe. That's all I was saying. No need for the "take yer opinions and git out" attitude.
Well you are sure free to think of laws regarding courtesy towards pedestrians as "ridiculous" if that maintains your feeling wise. And you are also free to be ticketed in that mindset. I dont agree with every law that bounds into existence either. But I agree more with avoiding citations for being stubborn along with my poor driving attitude.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Well you are sure free to think of laws regarding courtesy towards pedestrians as "ridiculous" if that maintains your feeling wise. And you are also free to be ticketed in that mindset. I dont agree with every law that bounds into existence either. But I agree more with avoiding citations for being stubborn along with my poor driving attitude.
Are you trolling me? It's poor driving to turn when there is a considerable distance between you and the slower person crossing? Who waits until they fully cross? Pedestrians around LA are not, in my opinion, just being mowed down because of bad drivers but also because of their own choice to cross when there is little to time left on the crosswalk, or jaywalk or to blatantly cross the street in the middle of heavy traffic. Waiting for a seriously slow pedestrian who knows traffic is waiting for them is just annoying.

Why are you so defensive about this topic? You would seriously wait at a light on a major street for someone who was taking their sweet time to cross at a crosswalk? I don't mean someone walking at a reasonable pace, but some jagoff who knows cars are waiting for him but refuses to pick up the pace. I don't mean an elderly person either but a young active looking person who is pacing down the crosswalk, ear buds jamming music, head up to the sky like it's a stroll in the park. You would wait and not just make the turn when you know he's at a reasonable safe distance?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:42 PM

77 posts, read 119,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You would wait and not just make the turn when you know he's at a reasonable safe distance?
I understand what you're saying. I believe the official rule per CA DMV is that you are to wait for the person to complete crossing before turning. It is understandable why the law is written that way. Between a car and a pedestrian, they err on the side of maximum caution. Besides, what is the law going to say, "do what feels right, bro!"?

That said, in the real world there are gray areas. Consider a divided street with 2 lanes in each direction and a median in between. If a pedestrian is crossing from the opposite side when the light turns green, I will usually make the turn. It will obviously take a good 15+ seconds before that person is even past the median. The margin is very large.

On the other hand, if the pedestrian is crossing a 1 or 2 lane street and walking like a normal person, I wait. And I expect cars to do the same when I am walking. Anyone behind me who honks can stuff it. Pedestrians have a right to be aggravated at cars who cut it even a little bit close. Their lives are on the line!

I really like what someone else said upthread -- not everyone is a driver but everyone is a pedestrian. Unless you drive directly into the dairy aisle at Ralph's, you are ultimately walking amongst moving cars. Remember that when you are the one behind the wheel.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 PM

Of course I meant within reason you should take turn. In a small town like Burbank I make sure to wait. Some of the bigger streets the person needs to pick up the pace but if they're not passed the median and are a safe distance away I take the turn. It's just a grey area with the law.

I really haven't even see too many cars wait for a slow person to cross because really who would wait if the person was crawling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles