Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:47 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
That's insane. First of all, the park is not Congress. 2nd the park isn't establishing/mandating religion. The only thing atheists are guaranteed is the freedom not to believe. So you shouldn't try to run with it and block everybody else from believing. Guess we'll just have to fight til the end because it is persecution and a civil rights violation.
It's public property. Public property is owned by the government. If the government said that the Christian religious groups could put up their display and other religious groups couldn't, then the government would be favoring one religion over another.

No one is blocking anyone from believing anything. The nativity scenes are actually where they belong, which is on church property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 09:49 AM

513 posts, read 913,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Let's put up a nativity scene with 2 gay dads a baby jesus. It will be FABULOUS
I'm up for it!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 AM

513 posts, read 913,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
It's public property. Public property is owned by the government. If the government said that the Christian religious groups could put up their display and other religious groups couldn't, then the government would be favoring one religion over another.

No one is blocking anyone from believing anything. The nativity scenes are actually where they belong, which is on church property.
Agreed!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
It's public property. Public property is owned by the government.
That's odd...in civics class they taught us that public property is owned by we the people, not some abstract entity known as "the government"...

Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 PM

305 posts, read 376,489 times
Quote:

Nobody said other religions couldn't put up displays. However if they choose not to do so, then, that's no reason to block the Christian nativity.

Where they "belong?" This is a FREE country. People can legally go wherever they want to go without being persecuted. "Where they belong"...hmmm...I guess atheists belong on the moon but you don't hear Christians throwing them out of the USA and placing them where they belong, all by themselves. Belong huh.... pfft bigot.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:32 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That's odd...in civics class they taught us that public property is owned by we the people, not some abstract entity known as "the government"...
we the people are the government.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
we the people are the government.
I'm not "the government", nor are most people I know. We're constituents of this constitutional republic, which had limited powers as prescribed by the U.S. Constitution.

Look, I know what it's like to be 20 years old these days and you're just learning about a good deal of things you never learned in high school or in college, but you can take my word for it, there was never any violation of any law by displaying nativity scenes on public property.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
If I recall correctly, they elected to not continue the tradition due to other belief structures exercising their right to request equal display time on public property? That's entirely appropriate. Allow one, allow them all. Relocating it to church property guarantees the xtians exclusivity, and that too is appropriate.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:38 AM

That park along Ocean Ave. is fairly long -- I don't understand why the Pastafarians et al couldn't do their own displays in the same park at the same time, or even at a different time of year if they want to put displays where the evil society-wrecking Christians put theirs.

Additionally, I'd think most people would find the homeless drunks and such that populate the park more offensive than any religious displays.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:09 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That park along Ocean Ave. is fairly long -- I don't understand why the Pastafarians et al couldn't do their own displays in the same park at the same time, or even at a different time of year if they want to put displays where the evil society-wrecking Christians put theirs.
I don't think anyone would be complaining if that were the case (except for the people who complain about everything and anything.) The Christians are the ones who seem to want a monopoly on putting religious displays on public property at least at this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles