Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,705 times

Advertisements

Hi! Have a question regarding the parking at the metrostation. I am starting a new job downtown and was going to park at the north Hollywood redline and take the metro in. However, it looks like parking is tight there at the park and ride. Does anyone know/have experience with that commutes? Is the parking availability around 8am still good or is it gone by then?

The Van Nuys station is closer to me, but it seems longer to go from the orange to the redline - and I'm not sure on the parking there. If you do that commute, let me know!

Any information would help. Thanks and Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerKat842 View Post
Hi! Have a question regarding the parking at the metrostation. I am starting a new job downtown and was going to park at the north Hollywood redline and take the metro in. However, it looks like parking is tight there at the park and ride. Does anyone know/have experience with that commutes? Is the parking availability around 8am still good or is it gone by then?

The Van Nuys station is closer to me, but it seems longer to go from the orange to the redline - and I'm not sure on the parking there. If you do that commute, let me know!

Any information would help. Thanks and Happy New Year!
FYI there is some parking at the Van Nuys station, but I bet it fills up fast.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:02 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
if it's not too far out of the way, the sepulveda orange line station has tons of parking.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,911 times
I don't do that commute, but I ride that route (Union Station -> NoHo Station -> Van Nuys Station) very often. It takes only like 10 minutes to ride NoHo <--> Van Nuys on the Orange Line bus--fast ride and the buses come around VERY frequently.

Many residential street parking spaces near the Van Nuys stations... like those streets behind the car dealerships on Van Nuys Blvd.

It really depends how comfortable you are about parking your car in front of someone's house for 8 to 9 hours a day, of course.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,705 times
I might look into that (Sepulveda orange or van nuys bus) The reason I was thinking the redline is 1. straight shot in a half hour and 2. I have to travel a bit east in the morning to drop my kids off at daycare. But, after seeing the parking this morning at the redline metro, which was nearly full on a holiday at 830am, it made me wonder if it fills up by 8am (which seems likely). So, the Sepulveda orange line may be the better choice...probably still better than driving and parking downtown!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
If you can't get Red line commute to work for you, Metrolink commuter rail is an option although a more expensive one, but they have stations in Nortridge, Van Nuys, Burbank downtown, Burbank airport, etc. I would prefer Red line but if you can not get parking, Metrolink is an alternative and has better class of passengers. No nuts on Metrolink asthere are on Red line.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Another option are the LADOT commuter express buses. See if there is a stop near your home. They have lines that go Downtown from all over the region.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:10 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
The north Hollywood redline station parking lot generally fills up by 7am.

It's 35 minutes start to finish, and of course time waiting for the train and also the walk to work.

Arriving at 645 am you can still expect to find parking, and expect to arrive at work by 730-746 am. If you start work at 9am, obv it's an issue. Maybe get a membership at golds or la fitness and work out before work?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 PM

733 posts, read 940,227 times
It seems very weird to me to park your car to take the metro, I understand it but I've usually taken public transportation with the lack of availability for a car.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
I used to take Metro from Universal to Downtown. I now drive. One, because Metro is fairly dangerous, even on the Red Line. Two, the commute is the same on the 101. From Lankershim and Ventura it takes 30 minutes to get downtown. The longest I have ever taken is 45 minutes and that is usually one day a week. Therein lies the problem with public transit in LA. Despite the traffic, the drive often takes the same amount of time and frankly it is more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles