Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 PM

78 posts, read 145,071 times

Advertisements

$3K/mo for 1 BR Apartment.
School CSUN (I don't mind a 20minute or so commute)

$3K/mo budget for a 1 BR apartment, in general, in terms of quality of life, stuff to do etc. I'm a college student.

Cost-of-living isn't really an issue, and I don't think the expenses are quite different.

Where would you live? And WHY(MOST IMPORTANT)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Your commute will be more than 20 minutes in either place. CSUN is west of the 405 so Beverly Hills isn't necessarily closer. They might be similarly distanced. Also, the 405 north in the mornings can be pretty light, making santa monica not as far from CSUN as it can seem

Lucky you with your budget. I'd live in Santa Monica. You can get some of the nicer one bedrooms for 3k a month, by the beach, with great amenities. There's much more going on for a young person in santa monica. Even if you're not into nightlife, just a lot more coffee shops, attractions, recreational activities, etc. Beverly Hills is all overpriced stores and trendy, stuffy restaurants, and it closes by 10 pm.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Your commute will be more than 20 minutes in either place. CSUN is west of the 405 so Beverly Hills isn't necessarily closer. They might be similarly distanced. Also, the 405 north in the mornings can be pretty light, making santa monica not as far from CSUN as it can seem

Lucky you with your budget. I'd live in Santa Monica. You can get some of the nicer one bedrooms for 3k a month, by the beach, with great amenities. There's much more going on for a young person in santa monica. Even if you're not into nightlife, just a lot more coffee shops, attractions, recreational activities, etc. Beverly Hills is all overpriced stores and trendy, stuffy restaurants, and it closes by 10 pm.
Yeah that's the thing I am worried about beverly hills, I've never been to LA, and santa monica looks better, by the beach (which I love), beach-view, hopefully not a lot of stairs.

Beverly hills probably is over-priced, due to it's "glamore", stars, shops etc.

I like to party, do activities and everything.

What would you say the morning/return commute from SM to CSUN is?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2014, 06:19 PM

It depends where in santa monica you live and what time you're leaving. But I'd say in general 30 minutes there (assuming you hit minimal traffic on the 405n, which you should in the AM), and maybe even 30-40 minutes back depending on the time.

Beverly Hills is all an image. Nobody really hangs out there except tourists.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
It depends where in santa monica you live and what time you're leaving. But I'd say in general 30 minutes there (assuming you hit minimal traffic on the 405n, which you should in the AM), and maybe even 30-40 minutes back depending on the time.

TBH, I think Santa Monica is the best for me, even though I would go to CSUN, Don't you agree?
I would want to live up in the hills in CSUn or so, I prefer the beach, lots of activities etc.

Thnx

Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 PM

Better than Beverly Hills for sure. And Beverly Hills isn't really closer to CSUN than santa monica. Since you're a student you'll probably be driving at odd hours too, so the traffic won't be as bad. Go for santa monica.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:

Agreed. It lives up to the about the old saying: "Life imitating art"

Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
CSUN is not very close to any freeways, so it is not easy to get to. you're looking at least 30 minutes from anywhere on the westside (which includes BH and SM). whlie it's generally a reverse commute, you should expect some traffic no matter the time of day you are making this drive, so 45 minutes is probably a safer bet. are you even 21? if not, your social life will be extremely limited no matter where you live and your best off living near other college students who are also under 21 (maybe near csun itself, or possibly ucla). if you're over 21, consider living in the valley for an easier commute in an area like studio city or sherman oaks.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
I would much rather commute from Santa Monica to CSUN than Beverly Hills. While the distance may be less, traffic heads WEST in the morning. Wednesday morning of this week, I left Venice at 7:30 am and went up to Santa Monica and headed east towards West Hollywood (just for fun, was bored and had the day off).

I had very little traffic and even hit many green lights without stopping (You know you can hit a perfectly green light in LA and still be at a dead stop because it's backed up from the next stoplight!!). However, the westbound traffic on Santa Monica Blvd. was backed up and very stop and go through west LA and Beverly Hills. I did not envy them. I went all the way through to East Hollywood without much traffic.

In California, most people head towards the coast in the morning (or towards downtown LA) and away in the evening. So going through Santa Monica and up the 405 isn't nearly as bad as going west towards the 405. It can add an annoying 10-15 minutes to your morning drive.

Last edited by timtemtym; 01-10-2014 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: felt like it

Old 01-10-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I would much rather commute from Santa Monica to CSUN than Beverly Hills. While the distance may be less, traffic heads WEST in the morning. Wednesday morning of this week, I left Venice at 7:30 am and went up to Santa Monica and headed east towards West Hollywood (just for fun, was bored and had the day off).

I had very little traffic and even hit many green lights without stopping (You know you can hit a perfectly green light in LA and still be at a dead stop because it's backed up from the next stoplight!!). However, the westbound traffic on Santa Monica Blvd. was backed up and very stop and go through west LA and Beverly Hills. I did not envy them. I went all the way through to East Hollywood without much traffic.

In California, most people head towards the coast in the morning (or towards downtown LA) and away in the evening. So going through Santa Monica and up the 405 isn't nearly as bad as going west towards the 405. It can add an annoying 10-15 minutes to your morning drive.
That is correct. There's only so many people who live by the coast (and thus have to travel eastbound in the AM for work), while there's a nearly infinite number of people who live inland. Many jobs are also on the westside. So it's always easier to leave the westside than get to it in the AM. In the evening it's the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles