Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,040,981 times

Advertisements

NYCs architecture is remarkable and unlike anything in the world. It's breathtaking. Yet the same can be said for LA when you couple it with its natural surroundings. It's as though someone put a gigantic metropolis on top of a big hill and surrounded it with mountains and a giant ocean. Nothing can compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 12:08 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,462,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that's the thing...and everyone these days can jump on the internet. The house at 2218 S. Harvard is quite something. Of course it would need a lot of work..I was thinking it would be great for filming and then the listing stated that it is used for filming.

I agree that there really aren't undiscovered areas in L.A where the housing prices are actually really cheap.

I do love that architecture , but you also gotta figure on a bunch of money to fix it up especially since it's such a big house.
He could also be talking about the greater L.A. area. I stumbled upon a boarded up a mansion similar to 2218 Harvard out in Santa Ana, though I think it's being renovated. Wait, I think Moby's actual term for time-lost neglect is...something about "entropy." I could go back and read, I suppose.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,530,152 times
All the cheap mansions are gone

Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 PM

8,364 posts, read 13,514,649 times
We should trade him with Justin Bieber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Who is Moby?
I am sure you have seen the movie Bourne Identity? Well, they are playing Moby's Extreme Ways:

Moby - Extreme Ways ( from The Bourne Ultimatum ) - YouTube

Old 02-05-2014, 01:37 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,462,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Doesn't Moby own a huge home in the Hollywood Hills? Why is this surprising?
BTW, so does Eminem. Sleepless in Runyon Canyon. Meeting at the Griffith Observatory, "they knew it. Time, distance, nothing could separate them. Because they knew. It was right. It was real."

How's that for '90s nostalgia?

Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM

In a weird way though I do view Moby as down to earth since he stated that "even his friends that make very good money .. $150,000yr find it hard to live in NYC" ...especially considering his places in NYC were $5million plus! A lot of people living in 5mill+ places prob think only 500k+ yr is 'very good $"

This shows you what $5.8million buys you in Manhattan..

Moby Sells Renovated Bond Street Penthouse for $5.8 Million - Celebrity Real Estate - Curbed NY

WHY WHY WHY???? ..this does make L.A look cheap.

lol

Old 02-05-2014, 01:56 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,040,981 times
Its funny moby thinks LA is relatively cheap. Well yes in comparison to NYC Manhattan but in comparison to say Austin, another creative hub, it's not. Not even close.

LA is still pricey and unless you're living out in the valley, you're not living the creative artists life, you're worried about bills.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Yeah I guess he is mostly comparing it to Manhattan. Also last time I checked Austin especially areas near downtown it didn't look too cheap. At least for buying. Rents dont seem too cheap, probably newer buildings than L.A but do you see anything really cheap?

I think it used to be a lot cheaper before it got "discovered".

Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 PM

46 posts, read 65,283 times
New York, especially Downtown Manhattan in the 70s and 80s was an absolute dump and artists thrived in the wasteland (not that I was there or anything). We can thank that world for music like No Wave and a lot of American indie and experimental film and art. Check out Blank City (on Netflix) and Downtown '81 (sadly not on Netflix) for a view of what it was like.

I don't think anything in LA or any other city for that matter comes close to that environment today.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:48 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,202,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymiles View Post
New York, especially Downtown Manhattan in the 70s and 80s was an absolute dump and artists thrived in the wasteland (not that I was there or anything). We can thank that world for music like No Wave and a lot of American indie and experimental film and art. Check out Blank City (on Netflix) and Downtown '81 (sadly not on Netflix) for a view of what it was like.

I don't think anything in LA or any other city for that matter comes close to that environment today.
Everything is too manufactured now. Maybe if all the artists moved into Watts. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles