Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,520,321 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone else saw this, but apparently the musician Moby is tooting L.A's horn over NYC...as a place for creatives. He's basically saying NYC has gotten way too expensive for artists and NYC is all about success,success while L.A is supposedly more welcoming to experimentation/failure

"New York had entered the pantheon of big cities that people visit and observe and patronize and document, but don’t actually add to, like Paris."

Nothing really groundbreaking, but kind of interesting as it's pretty rare for former NYCers to praise L.A so deeply. It seems if most of them live in L.A , it's more as a temporary place.

This is the laist article:
Moby Champions Los Angeles As A Haven For Creatives: LAist

LAWeekly picked up on it too:
http://www.laweekly.com/informer/201...urtesy-of-moby

Los Angeles Magazine:
http://www.lamag.com/citythink/cityt...-rules-over-ny

NYC Focused Gothamist(Laist for NY) - Lot's of comments on this one
http://gothamist.com/2014/02/04/moby_1.php

This is his article on a website called Creative Time Reports:
Moby: Los Angeles, The First City of the Apocalypse | Creative Time Reports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM

377 posts, read 530,616 times
oh wow, the great moby has spoken

Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,014,100 times
Who is Moby?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:16 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,461,827 times
I've read Moby's blog before and he reads sort of a like a Stranger in a Strange Land. I believe he's more New Englander than New Yorker, so for urban environments it's no surprise to me that he's fascinated and perhaps more creatively charged by the relative quiet of L.A. than NYC. I forget his exact term but he refers a lot to poetic disuse: vacant mid-century architecture, empty Hollywood star mansions, etc. It seems a dead end observation as these buildings will eventually get refurbished and reused, though there's a lot of them.

As for who he is: musician, late 80s/90s, famous for ambient electronic music, descendent of Herman Melville (hence the name Moby).

Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
oh wow, the great moby has spoken
Yes, you must bow down and worship this man with the Buddha like head.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

546 posts, read 819,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Who is Moby?

He is a musical artist (dance music/eletronic music) who gained notoriety in the 1990's. He also has an ancestral relatiionship with Herman Melville (hence the nickmane "Moby").

Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 PM

546 posts, read 819,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
As for who he is: musician, late 80s/90s, famous for ambient electronic music, descendent of Herman Melville (hence the name Moby).
Ah sorry, you beat me to it!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 PM

Although he's a celebrity, he is one that many people seem to view as 'intellectual' or smart so I think people might take notice of this versus another type of celeb.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,856,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I've read Moby's blog before and he reads sort of a like a Stranger in a Strange Land. I believe he's more New Englander than New Yorker, so for urban environments it's no surprise to me that he's fascinated and perhaps more creatively charged by the relative quiet of L.A. than NYC.
I agree with this, sort of. He was raised in one of the richest towns in Fairfield County, CT, which is one of the richest counties in America. I definitely can't think of him as a New Yorker. Thing is, it's not really New England though. I lived in New England for several years, and I really don't think New England starts until you get north of that part of CT that is just an extension of the NY metro area. But anyway.

Clearly Moby hasn't been to Brooklyn lately. Or Queens, for that matter. A friend of mine lives in Astoria and says that he's seeing good things going on in Queens. And the gentrification of Brooklyn is well publicized (sometimes with undeserved scorn). But hey, let him say things like that about New York. More room for people like me who want to be there. (Nothing against LA of course; I just noticed this thread because it mentioned NY, and I thought it was kind of funny that he said that.) The thing about New York is that for every person who gets disillusioned and leaves, there are three more just waiting to take his/her place. I don't know if LA is that way, but I imagine it is.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,905,921 times
@ShipOfFools42 - you're exactly right about people clamoring to live in NYC.

as if moby's endorsement of LA is going to be the final word in the ever lasting LA vs NYC debate :roll eyes:

seriously, for every person that claims LA > NYC, you can find one making the opposite claim...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles