Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 PM

164 posts, read 347,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Congratulations on pursuing your education.

I strongly suggest you reconsider your major; majoring in Urban Studies is akin to majoring in unemployment. I suggest you consider majoring in something that may give you more career options.
Well, I did consider Human Resources, but CSUN cancelled there extension program. They do have one at Cal State LA, but I changed my mind because its just a certificate and not a degree. Most employers prefer experience in the field anyway and just having a certificate as opposed to a bachelors isn't ideal. I love urban planning. I'm fascinated with urban growth, public transit projects, and economic development. Now, that doesn't mean I approve of every development; I hate these monstrosities these developers are building that are unaffordable for the majority of Angelinos. I'm very passionate about it, especially transit oriented developments. I do understand that there are limited employment opportunities, but I do have resources lined up for me that seems very promising.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
Technically, what I'm doing isn't legally right, but at least...
"...it's for my family" "...it's better for the investors" "...it's because they have plenty of money, and I need it more than they do" "...I deserve it because..."

Rationalization used by every lawbreaker hypocrite. And if you think that someday all those databases---school, welfare, tax forms, loan applications, unemployment--- won't interconnect...you're wrong. Any government agency who does a background check to hire an urban planner will see it all.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:17 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Rob3gd, to answer your original question, I'm sure there are Section 8 buildings in good areas. I'm not sure how many have vacancies, but that link that was posted earlier should help. Unfortunately, although you may be just trying to pull yourself up and out of poverty, many other Section 8 recipients aren't. I would never live in a Section 8 building again, because my experience has never been good. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 PM

255 posts, read 402,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatUnwashed View Post
Just wanted to say I applaud you for actually making use of that voucher by going to college and doing something with your life. The majority of "poor" people sit around at home on their iPhones and big-screen LCD's doing nothing with their lives.
Can you provide evidence of this? any data? anything?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:47 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
You could consider Burbank and Glendale. I know both of these cities have Section 8 Housing and you would feel safe and be able to avail yourself of public transportation if you had to.

Last edited by Marka; 03-28-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 PM

164 posts, read 347,349 times
Moderator cut: off topic

I found a place In Valley Village a couple hours ago who is willing to except me, I just submitted to a credit check. As for the others, I'm pretty sure the goal of the law was to prevent dependents from obtaining housing when their parents were able to provide for them, but in my case, mine isn't. Hell, I don't even know who my father is and my mothers in a home. This law is flawed in that case because it doesn't take into account people who's parent(s) are in poverty themselves and who might not have housing either. I think the law should be amended. Also, the government doesn't want you attending school because they want you to work instead to pay for the housing (I'm already working part-time). Now, what kind of job will I get without an education in this service sector economy? McDonald's? Sears? A call center? Even jobs such as bus driving wouldn't be enough to get off the housing voucher so the government is doing itself a disservice by telling prospective and current tenants that they cant go to school. Its as if the government wants you to stay in poverty and retain your housing forever. In order to even stop qualifying for housing assistance, you need to be making at least about $3500 in order for the voucher to terminate. You would think that recipients receiving advanced degrees or vocational training would be ideal to the government. The food stamp program operate in a similar fashion. I was denied food stamps to help supplement my income because I was going to school and since I was going to school, it would of interfered with the work requirement required when you receive benefits; recipients usually have to work for the government to receive benefits unless they already retain employment. Even though I was a part-timer, the case worker told me that I would have to quit school so I would be available for full time work, then I would qualify. Now, isn't that counterproductive.

Last edited by Marka; 03-28-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles