Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I swear... It's like life only exist on the Westside and along Ventura Blvd. People in the industry live in a bubble called LaLa Land.
It's not just about the Westside. Even the Burbank and the Valley has it's share of snots. I love Manhattan Beach, as it tends to be more laid back, but it's soooo far from the industry. Try telling your potential employer at a production company or "regular office job" during an interview that you're an actor who has 3-5 auditions a week. As someone who makes a lot of sacrifices for my acting career, including working as a server, I KNOW that "actors" get knocked down in this town often until they make it. This goes professionally and socially. The common perceptions of people at flexible yet "crappy" jobs is that these jobs are easy to snap up, and go to people who can't do any better. But the truth is that this town has a ton of J.O.B.S that take over people's lives. In Los Angeles 9-5's ALWAYS have overtime, that receptionist position needs you at the desk ALWAYS, the sales manager wants you to sell even more this month and put in even more the next... The temp agency Culver City branch that I use is run by 3 people. One who is on call 24/7. Meaning everyone can contact her at 1am in the morning any and every night. More and more jobs are hiring less and loading on more work. I'm always on the hunt for a better day job, but giving up an auditions for the sake of a corner office is where I draw the line. Someone told me that there is a statistic that shows more people are moving out of Los Angeles in the past few years than ever before; I was like good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 01:30 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina2014 View Post
It's not just about the Westside. Even the Burbank and the Valley has it's share of snots. I love Manhattan Beach, as it tends to be more laid back, but it's soooo far from the industry. Try telling your potential employer at a production company or "regular office job" during an interview that you're an actor who has 3-5 auditions a week. As someone who makes a lot of sacrifices for my acting career, including working as a server, I KNOW that "actors" get knocked down in this town often until they make it. This goes professionally and socially. The common perceptions of people at flexible yet "crappy" jobs is that these jobs are easy to snap up, and go to people who can't do any better. But the truth is that this town has a ton of J.O.B.S that take over people's lives. In Los Angeles 9-5's ALWAYS have overtime, that receptionist position needs you at the desk ALWAYS, the sales manager wants you to sell even more this month and put in even more the next... The temp agency Culver City branch that I use is run by 3 people. One who is on call 24/7. Meaning everyone can contact her at 1am in the morning any and every night. More and more jobs are hiring less and loading on more work. I'm always on the hunt for a better day job, but giving up an auditions for the sake of a corner office is where I draw the line. Someone told me that there is a statistic that shows more people are moving out of Los Angeles in the past few years than ever before; I was like good.

1. Ventura Blvd runs through The Valley and Burbank

2. You have some serious first world problems. Be glad you have a roof over your head and are working in the first place. Acting is a hobby until you can support yourself fully, then you become a professional actor. Other aspects of the industry work in different ways so I know that is a somewhat narrow assessment.

3. There are many more people who live in LA who have nothing to do with the Entertainment industry and it insulting to group us with transplants who live in a bubble.

Last edited by jamills21; 03-29-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
1. Burbank and the Valley are along Ventura Blvd.

2. You have some serious first world problems. Be glad you have a roof over your head and are working in the first place. Acting is a hobby until you can support yourself fully, then you become a professional actor. Other aspects of the industry work in different ways so I know that is a somewhat narrow assessment.

3. There are many more people who live in LA who have nothing to do with the Entertainment industry and it insulting to group us with transplants who live in a bubble.
2. First world problems are still problems. If someone's father passes away I wouldn't turn around and say stop crying you whiny baby atleast you still have a mother, some children don't have mothers or fathers. Don't tell me how to feel. I am a very grateful and blessed person, who is ambitious. I actually came on here not to be criticized by you but to let the original poster Ca Dreamer know whats up. LA has a strange way of making people reorder their priorities and I have seen alot of people fail because a day job took over their life, though having a job is important. The more integrated into the industry up and comers become the odder it feels to still report to a server or bartender job until you are fully integrated into Entertainment but you have to push through that and NO, I don't agree with the idea that you aren't a professional actor until ALL of your money comes from acting. You can't get an acting job without professional level acting and professional values. But everyone has their definitions to each their own. Kerry Washington waited tables for atleast 2-3 years after her first big film. NOW she's on "Scandal" but I was was pointing out those awkward moments that few A-list actors mention, those years when you're working at that restaurant and someone recognizes you from a "project". Kerry is one of the few people to keep it real. Was she not a professional actress after "Save the Last Dance"? Oh, so now that she reports regularly to a studio, now she's professional? Alot of people fail or run in this in-between-phase. All of my advice was simply to the OP.

3. Exactly what is insulting to non-Entertainment natives? I find it insulting that people think that they can just hop into serving because there is no standard for employment, when in fact restaurant owners have very definite and particular standards. So Please enlighten me. Please specify. Me telling an employer I'm willing to stay late and come early if I can have flexibility for auditions? Because I'm willing to give a lot but my whole life cannot be about pleasing overbearing employers who force me to just be a tool.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:03 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina2014 View Post
2. First world problems are still problems. If someone's father passes away I wouldn't turn around and say stop crying you whiny baby atleast you still have a mother, some children don't have mothers or fathers. Don't tell me how to feel. I am a very grateful and blessed person, who is ambitious. I actually came on here not to be criticized by you but to let the original poster Ca Dreamer know whats up. LA has a strange way of making people reorder their priorities and I have seen alot of people fail because a day job took over their life, though having a job is important. The more integrated into the industry up and comers become the odder it feels to still report to a server or bartender job until you are fully integrated into Entertainment but you have to push through that and NO, I don't agree with the idea that you aren't a professional actor until ALL of your money comes from acting. You can't get an acting job without professional level acting and professional values. But everyone has their definitions to each their own. Kerry Washington waited tables for atleast 2-3 years after her first big film. NOW she's on "Scandal" but I was was pointing out those awkward moments that few A-list actors mention, those years when you're working at that restaurant and someone recognizes you from a "project". Kerry is one of the few people to keep it real. Was she not a professional actress after "Save the Last Dance"? Oh, so now that she reports regularly to a studio, now she's professional? Alot of people fail or run in this in-between-phase. All of my advice was simply to the OP.

3. Exactly what is insulting to non-Entertainment natives? I find it insulting that people think that they can just hop into serving because there is no standard for employment, when in fact restaurant owners have very definite and particular standards. So Please enlighten me. Please specify. Me telling an employer I'm willing to stay late and come early if I can have flexibility for auditions? Because I'm willing to give a lot but my whole life cannot be about pleasing an overbearing employers who forces me to just be a tool.

you know what, my bad guy...I'm not here trying to make you feel a certain way. Comparing the death of a family member to working in service and not getting enough acting jobs is not a good analogy however.

What is insulting is having somebody say that "Los Angeles is the most classist and materialistic place in the country. Status, branding, pressumtion of money, and prestige is everything for a lot of people." That is insulting to anybody who lives in this city, especially natives who know both sides of the story or have been to countries/cities where their classicism makes LA look like Kansas City.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:16 PM

Actually it was the perfect analogy for people who derail opinions saying "first world problems." You could say obesity is a first world problem, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous. I am very aware of the fact that there are millions if not hundreds of millions of slaves and sweat shop workers roaming the earth, right now. I know about children getting their hands blown off over diamond and dictatorship wars. I know quit a lot. If I complained about how I think red light cameras are a scam because they are owned by a company and not the government and one of the owners told me it was a "first world problem" I'd spit the same fire at them.

I could complain about all the banks and businesses that have been profiting off of the government by making their employees apply for welfare while hiring manufacturing workers overseas to avoid paying their fair share of taxes even though they make several billions of dollars in profits a year. Some of these same banks are buying up houses left and right and renting them so that they can keep the asset, and leave less for many regular folks, LA native or not. But, no, that would also be a first world problem, because even with rent, we have running water and our roof isn't made of sticks and mud...
And, I'll apologize for the "classist" statement. I moved here from the south: brand name nothing ever. Here, it's all about brands even in the hoods I see it. Everyone needs a title and a logo (company, University, etc) I know not EVERYONE in the industry or outside of it is a materialist, however, even in the most "normal jobs" to normal "high paying" jobs like law firms, say your an actor or actress and people check out. So I think it's fair to say there's some unfairness on both sides.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:24 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Don't knock server and bartender jobs. They are usually better compensated and more interesting than a typical desk job. Be grateful you are a waitress or bartender.

Especially a bartender. Easiest money for young people there is besides the world's oldest profession.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
Lol I apologize--I couldn't help but troll a bit with the smug "by the numbers" actor routine. I've visited Los Angeles several times (actually stayed at the Hollywood hostel my last visit), have an older brother and a good friend living out there as well & getting lessons via skype with someone who has worked with many commercial casting directors around town. I understand the "odds"--I just want to throw my hat in the ring and play the game--it's a lot of fun & I enjoy it. I used to be a 9-5er, so I am approaching this move more intelligently than I would have had I moved in my early 20's or something. (probably looking to move next fall--2015).

In terms of affordable housing, there are plenty of situations around town that could accommodate my budget (I'm probably looking at $700/month...500 if I'm desperate, 900 if things pick up for me here in TX so I can keep pushing more into savings). However, I liked the vibe/versatility/semi-walkability/location/affordability of Hollywood and Los Feliz the times I've visited. I've heard that Los Feliz has undergone some re gentrification over the years and now is a bit more uppity now vs 5-7 years ago? I also felt like both neighborhoods are havens for creative types (ala support groups for us crazies), which is a plus. I loved Runyon Canyon, the trails around Muhholland Drive, etc. I also liked the proximity to the metro (as mentioned above) should I want to hitch a ride to downtown Staples Center for a fight/event/whatever. There is no question that I will have a roomate or multiple roomates unless I get lucky and stumble across a $900/month studio (I'd pay a little more per month for my own place if possible--also, that'd most likely be in a neighborhood elsewhere so moot point), so the logistics of "getting a job, etc" I understand all that. I'm just curious as to the details and the specifics of the two neighborhoods (looking for a little more insight).

As far as a couple of commercials being a "claim to fame?" That would be great--it's all about staying in the game and playing for a long time. If you land 5 commercials out of 100 auditions, you're doing great. But I just love doing it & I don't have a family to support--so I'm going to take advantage, live my life the way I want to live it.
Hey man you already know more than most people who live here..

Old 03-30-2014, 11:31 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
1. Ventura Blvd runs through The Valley and Burbank

Exactly. There are many, many people who work and live in LA who have nothing to do with entertainment industry.

If Angelina 2014 finds people so snotty, than perhaps she should pack her bags and head back home.

I have always found people in LA to be fairly friendly and well mannered, sure you get the ones who put on airs, but they're usually wannabe actors who are transplants.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 AM

13 posts, read 20,232 times
Clearly you're a cocky actor/aspiring movie type that can't handle the the truth from people who have seen it all in LA. Too bad people like you don't take this sort of advice. You would save yourself and the world a lot of headaches.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 AM

13 posts, read 20,232 times
and no I never called myself wise - that's clearly your little frail ego projecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles