Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,540,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
It is IRS §1033 (Involuntary Conversion) which can adjust the cost basis. This particular type of conversion has not happened before, especially at this amount, which means it will end up in tax court. Who knows how it will turn out.
Ok thanks. Interesting hadn't heard of that before.

This is a Daily Beast article mentioned this scenerio

Donald Sterling

That's the thing about all this stuff , they want to make a big scene like he's being punished, but at the end of the day the tax code (and laws) are in favor of the richest.

Also being able to hire the best lawyers versus public defenders makes a difference.

What a "punishment" it would be to save hundreds of millions in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,188,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah true, also it seems like they are trying to portray it that Sterling caused their injuries but they were more the result of their interactions with Sterlings son when they were younger. They are now blaming Sterling for ruining their lives...doesn't seem to make much sense if the incidents involved Scott (his son)...
I guess they are trying to say if Sterling didn't treat him bad he wouldn't of done what he did.

Wounded for life: Phillip Scheid and his sister Cheryl, former longtime friends of the Sterling family, blame violent and cold-hearted Donald Sterling for ruining the life of his son Scott--and ultimately their own lives. The pair were seriously injured in two separate incidents involving Scott: Phillip was shot by Scott 12 times in the legs and Cheryl was left paralyzed after falling from a 3rd story window[LEFT]
Read more: LA Clippers boss Donald Sterling is a violent bully who whipped son with a belt | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
[/LEFT]

I do not practice law in this area: torts. I cannot think of what cause of action these guys would have against his Sterling or his son's estate given a statute of limitations. Hmmm. I wish I knew what the plan was.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
A bit?

Some of those folks - old, young, etc. - act like they should be wearing sheets. Yes, it is surprising.

Speaking of that - did you know that a KKK and Nazi leader in New York killed himself many years ago because a guy from the Times wrote an article revealing that he was Jewish?

You can't make up this stuff.

Leader of K.k.k. and American Nazis, Exposed As Jew, Commits Suicide | Jewish Telegraphic Agency
This is kind of interesting..
*Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 PM

771 posts, read 1,585,984 times
I, for one, would like to see the terms "rascist" and "racism" go away. Why?

A) - there is only 1 'race' when we are referring to humans - the human race. We can all hookup and make babies regardless of skin color and we all bleed red. The genes that control appearance and skin color are a *tiny* part of human DNA. The differences are truly minute; we share 98% of our chromosomes with chimps... so that shows you how ridiculous to separate out "race" by skin color when we are all homo sapiens. And even distinctly different humans such as Neanderthals and modern Cro Magnon man could interbreed.

B) What we are REALLY talking about "race" is the behavior and economic power of different *ethnic* groups separated either by skin color, place of origin, or both. When I look at Sterling's comments towards people with brown or black skin in general, he's grouping them together based on how they are perceived to behave as a *group* based on stereotypes.

(and I'm by no means supporting Sterling's comments, just trying to establish some context)

He doesn't want his mixed Hispanic/Latino GF hanging out a "culture" - he's talking about the stereotypes of black culture being misogynist, hip hop violence, stupid, uneducated, etc. Just watch an episode of the Jerry Springer show when they manage to find POC (People of Color) who will act trashy on TV. That's what Sterling is associating IMHO when he's referring to "culture". He's talking about trashy behavior (and you see the same behavior on white guests that Springer brings on - what is referred to as "trailer trash" in our society). Never mind that Magic Johnson, other than cheating on his wife (and picking up HIV in the process) is not doing anything different than what many other light skinned athletes, celebrities, executives, and Donald Sterling is doing, somehow Magic is trashy by the color of his skin and the "culture" of "Black trashiness" that I think Sterling is allluding to.

Its pretty clear in my mind its the entire perceived behavior of an ethnic group. Sterling likes Asians because he associates their "culture" with a cleanliness stereotype that's associated with Asians (just like the stereotype that Asians are smarter because they get better grades in school, when sociological studies have shown its *cultural*). I can show him plenty of predominately Asian areas where its just as trashy and bad behavior as he associates with blacks and Latinos.

So many stereotypes are predominantly cultural.

This is the 3rd rail that we aren't talking about in our society when we have these periodic discussions of 'racism'. Kareem pointed out in his Time op-ed piece the hypocrisy of both sides here. We aren't talking about racism. We are talking about social and economic stereotypes based on ethnic origin AND color of skin. It wasn't that long ago that persons of Irish descent - whether they were fresh off the boat from Ireland at Ellis Island, or later settling into their ethnic behaviors in large Eastern US cities - were viewed all as drunks and problems by the WASPish haves that had gotten to the US first. The same can be said of various ethnic Eastern Europeans, Italians, and Jews (of modest financial means). Black Americans have a different challenge with the taint of slavery and the fact that a good portion of the US is still fighting the Civil War tacitly 150 years later.

We really need to move the discussion to exactly where it should be, which is bad behavior is bad behavior and it shouldn't be associated with ANY ethnic group or skin color. There are gangs in every color of the rainbow in every major city and in rural areas. And quit judging individuals by their skin color and instead by who they are.

In Sterling's case its pretty clear that even though he's a really rich guy, he's still a turd in a human shape. Who happens to have white skin, and, unfortunately, is human.

If we could get this damned discussion off of skin color and instead on stereotypes and ethnic behavior maybe we could get rid of more of this ugly behavior a lot faster.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,188,254 times
Sterling claims he is no racist, saying "I grew up in East L.A. ..." Sterling continues. "I was the president of the high school there. I mean, and I'm a Jew! And 50% of the people there were black and 40% were Hispanic. ... So I mean, people must have a good feeling for me."

L.A. Clippers' Donald Sterling sage turns on secret recordings, drama - CNN.com

Old 10-27-2014, 05:10 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,911,331 times
Smh. The "oppressed" becomes the "oppressor".

Last edited by SobreTodo; 10-27-2014 at 06:23 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 10:58 PM

8 posts, read 9,103 times
So disappointing..I really like the Clippers and want them..I think he recognizes opportunity..

Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 AM

They have a new billionaire owner now you know?

Donald Sterling saga now in past, Steve Ballmer brings brighter future for Los Angeles Clippers - The Washington Post

Looks like there are some out there that still aren't happy though...

"Another white male billionaire joins one of the most elite clubs in the world — white male billionaires who own sports franchises. This is not to intimate that Ballmer is racist. "
Steve Ballmer’s purchase of Clippers doesn’t solve NBA ownership problem | theGrio

Old 10-28-2014, 03:37 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,911,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
They have a new billionaire owner now you know?

Donald Sterling saga now in past, Steve Ballmer brings brighter future for Los Angeles Clippers - The Washington Post

Looks like there are some out there that still aren't happy though...

"Another white male billionaire joins one of the most elite clubs in the world — white male billionaires who own sports franchises. This is not to intimate that Ballmer is racist. "
Steve Ballmer’s purchase of Clippers doesn’t solve NBA ownership problem | theGrio
Interesting to see how this turns out!

Old 10-28-2014, 09:12 PM

Baller isn't " black enough " for them I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles