U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 PM
 
8,337 posts, read 26,828,890 times
Reputation: 4495

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
I agree with you on the nice car/live with parents comment. Thats what starts the whole me me me train of thought.

But when you say an army of immigrants to take their place, who exactly are you referring to? I can't really differenciate. To me, I've noticed a trend of young people in the work force that want it all now and dont want to work for it. It's a game and they bounce from job to job, whoever offers more, lacking hard work ethics and no loyalty, especially to the ones who have trained them. Then another trend of bailing the education to go low income. Of course everyone is not like this but it certainly seems more prevelant. Maybe I'm just getting older.
On the bottom rung, it's the Latinos. On the upper rungs, it's the Indians and other south Asians. The young natives who do want to work hard don't seem particularly interested in work that's not going to get them the big bucks or the prestige. The rest appear to be getting stoned in Mom's basement.

Loyalty is a 2-way street - companies haven't held up their end of the bargain very well in the past few years either. The employer / employee dynamic is a lot more fluid today than it was in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2007, 09:53 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
8 posts, read 41,045 times
Reputation: 27
Smile 5 living In A Small Apartment

Many middle income individuals are living in 1 and sometimes 2 bedroom units with 5 or more persons someetimes as a family or as friends because of economics. Here in the great golden San Francisco area it is not unusual that 5 to 7 people can live in a 975 square foot apartment where rents command $3000 to $4000 per month. No matter where you go here in the SF Bay area, rents begin at $1800 for a studio and more for that "1" bedroom space. Wake up folks we live in a different era where politics are dirty and affect our economy and we pay the price of our standard of living whether we live in the ghetto or the pristine upper crust of gated apartment communities. Life is no longer paradise when we were celebrating our 3 bedroom apartments in So Cal and No Cal for $600.00 per month, or that lucky 1 bedroom in the Wilshire District for $175.00 per month in 1979 which today commands $3000.00. Yes folks that is why 5 people or more live in a 2 bedroom, that is why so many are homeless, it is not the alcohol, it is spelled "ECONOMICS" and "DIRTY POLITICS". Beginning with our illustrious president George Bush, this country has been bent over and then some. The hole gets deeper and the lies only get worse as we tune to CNN. It's called "ECONOMICS" and "DIRTY POLITICS".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 11:18 PM
 
9,715 posts, read 13,614,314 times
Reputation: 3325
A lot of those fancy cars are leased, not owned. They can't afford the house and they can't afford the car -- so they rent and lease.

I agree that a lot of it is economics. Prices have gone up on everything and salaries just haven't kept pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2007, 08:21 PM
 
636 posts, read 2,445,614 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilden Educated View Post
Many middle income individuals are living in 1 and sometimes 2 bedroom units with 5 or more persons someetimes as a family or as friends because of economics. Here in the great golden San Francisco area it is not unusual that 5 to 7 people can live in a 975 square foot apartment where rents command $3000 to $4000 per month. No matter where you go here in the SF Bay area, rents begin at $1800 for a studio and more for that "1" bedroom space. Wake up folks we live in a different era where politics are dirty and affect our economy and we pay the price of our standard of living whether we live in the ghetto or the pristine upper crust of gated apartment communities. Life is no longer paradise when we were celebrating our 3 bedroom apartments in So Cal and No Cal for $600.00 per month, or that lucky 1 bedroom in the Wilshire District for $175.00 per month in 1979 which today commands $3000.00. Yes folks that is why 5 people or more live in a 2 bedroom, that is why so many are homeless, it is not the alcohol, it is spelled "ECONOMICS" and "DIRTY POLITICS". Beginning with our illustrious president George Bush, this country has been bent over and then some. The hole gets deeper and the lies only get worse as we tune to CNN. It's called "ECONOMICS" and "DIRTY POLITICS".
I agree that life is getting tougher for the middle class. Recent stats from food banks bear that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2007, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,696,551 times
Reputation: 7317
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
I agree that life is getting tougher for the middle class. Recent stats from food banks bear that out.
Dont know about food banks but yes things are quite crappy right now and won't get any better for a long time. And its not just an LA problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Concrete Jungle
240 posts, read 1,346,726 times
Reputation: 194
I heard on the news that the cost of living has doubled recently: grocery prices and gas prices are much higher than they were last year. Although home prices appear to be falling for purchasing a house, I haven't seen any corresponding drop in rental prices, at least not in my area. Also, I haven't noticed that people's incomes have been rising with the prices. When many people are only making about $25,000 to $40,00 and the cost to purchase a home is well over four hundred thousand dollars, it does not surprise me that many familes with children are forced to live in a one bedroom apartment.

I keep hearing people in government say they are going to do something to provide affordable housing to middle income familes in LA, but I never see any actual results. I wonder when someone is going to do something? I guess we'll have to wait for the next earthquake to clear out some of the overcrowding here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2007, 07:16 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,667,073 times
Reputation: 7522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
I keep hearing people in government say they are going to do something to provide affordable housing to middle income familes in LA, but I never see any actual results. I wonder when someone is going to do something?

What's the government supposed to do? Fix the price of housing? Build giant housing projects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,709,484 times
Reputation: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
I heard on the news that the cost of living has doubled recently....

What news programs do you listen to?

I keep hearing people in government say they are going to do something to provide affordable housing to middle income familes in LA, but I never see any actual results. I wonder when someone is going to do something?

To whom do I write my check?
The government = me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Concrete Jungle
240 posts, read 1,346,726 times
Reputation: 194
The government does not equate to me. I am not employed by any governmental agency. I vote for representatives to work for us. Those elected, and many who are appointed, control government resources and authority, such as the authority to grant permits to build new housing developments and can require that a certain percentage of units from each new project be set aside for low income and middle income families or they can create other methods to set aside some housing for middle income and lower income families. As a single individual who can barely afford my own housing, I lack the resources and authority to accomplish what those in government are elected to do which is serve the people who elected them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2007, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,709,484 times
Reputation: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
The government does not equate to me. I am not employed by any governmental agency. I vote for representatives to work for us. Those elected, and many who are appointed, control government resources and authority, such as the authority to grant permits to build new housing developments and can require that a certain percentage of units from each new project be set aside for low income and middle income families or they can create other methods to set aside some housing for middle income and lower income families. As a single individual who can barely afford my own housing, I lack the resources and authority to accomplish what those in government are elected to do which is serve the people who elected them.
Sister, I am the government. Where do you think the government gets it's money? From me. So I am supposed to pay for housing for you? If you can't afford your own housing either make more money or buy less housing. Nevada, Mississippi, North Dakota, and Louisiana are more affordable than California (assuming that is where you are living now). Have you considered moving to somewhere that doesn't cost as much?

I vote no on yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top