Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 AM

108 posts, read 227,929 times

Advertisements

Thanks majoun for the link about Cover Girl, I will research it and add it to the list. I really appreciate your help.

I appreciate all the comments and I'm not surprised by some of the negative comments in these threads (well I am surprised but I guess I shouldn't have been). I am from NY and the same issues exist there. That is why there will always be certain places and spaces where the races stay segregated because...this is just an angry prejudiced world.

My posts were never meant to start a race war (LOL) but it further explains why I am doing this research because I know that at every point in history black folk have had to find a little spot somewhere that they could feel free. I am NOT prejudiced, I've worked with white folk, lived in neighborhoods with white folk, slept with white men and done things with them that I won't post here. (Although I enjoyed them immensely). Yet you go to some of those fellas neighborhoods and it is clear you are NOT welcomed there. (NOT BY EVERYBODY BUT BY MANY)

It is the reason why there will always be different spaces and places for people. Even well meaning people.

I thank all the people who tried to help me out or who understand what I am trying to do. And for those who don't or who just want to be negative...do you!

Imagine a world where Blacks, Whites, Spanish speaking, Asians, Indians....EVERYBODY could live together in peace and celebrate each others differences and grow together but I guess that's going to have to wait until Heaven comes.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 09:30 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
The amount of ignorance, borderline racism, and misunderstanding of why there would be a safe place for gay black minorities here is staggering. It's definitely true that clubs are more mixed race today. It still remains that there are a lot of gay latino clubs in California in general. (But that's not really a surprise given demographics). There are also a sprinkle of Asian gay barss in the SGV and the OC. The majority of gay bars/clubs, however, cater to white, cis-gendered men. Hell, even lesbians get the shaft in Los Angeles in terms of having establishments for them.

While there are not many gay clubs for black people, there are many events held at private homes to circumvent the issue. Sex parties, trivia nights, house parties, etc. Baldwin Hills and Wilshire corridor are rife with them. And this is because there's a good chunk of racism within the gay community. Black gay clubs existed so that they would have a safe place to have fun and be who they are without any kind of discrimination. This is mainly propagated by white men who openly admit they'd never date a black, Asian, or insert whatever race here.

Someone is going to be quick to say if a white guy is only into white guys, it's just their preference. But when your entire preference is based around grouping a race together and actively deciding not to date/interact with them because of their features and the way they look... that's racism. All black people do not look the same. All asians don't look the same. So why do so many white men feel the need to say "no blacks, asians, fems" on their profiles?

Racism can be subtle and ingrained and when it's showcased it isn't necessarily always the extreme most people have come to define it as. But since most people think racism is calling someone the N-word or beating them up, my comments will be lost on most. Especially those that have already posted in this thread.
Really? Where? It might be a huge amount of ignorance on my part, as even though I'm Bi, I didnt start visiting ***** establishments until when I was 23 (3 years ago), and even now you're more likely to find me in a craft beer bar, lol (fruity drinks, crappy beer and female pop vocals don't do it for me). I'm Latino and a good majority of my friends are Asian...we pretty much visit the same places, and have never come across a venue that caters to only one race, only venues that have 'themed' nights. Like Velvet in Santa Ana that has a 'Papi Caliente' (talk about cliche...gay places are really good at cliche), or RAGE in WeHo that has Gameboi (Asian night).

I also agree that while West Hollywood is diverse, it is also white male oriented. Plus ***** men have an outspoken racism, and my friends and I have been told to 'go back to Mexico' for speaking Spanish (two of my friends are 4th generation Chicanos, while I am the only one that was actually born in Mexico). This in a place where you're bound to hear many languages due to the international tourism it draws. Silver Lake and Long Beach feel much more embracing of diversity instead of just tolerant of it like WeHo.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:52 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
While your post has some fair points about racism in the gay community, I don't think the gay bars in West Hollywood, and even less so in Silver Lake and the Valley, cater to white gay men. Go out any night of the week in West Hollywood and you'll see a majority minority crowd. I would say black gay men represent a disproportionate portion of the nightlife.
And if you said that, you would be wrong. You usually have great insight in a majority of topics posted at CD. Since you are of neither minority discussed in this thread, your insight fails short and your experience in the matter is zero. I think I remember you saying you lived in West Hollywood once upon a time? Through the looking glass, it is. While blacks or latinos may come out Friday for hip-hop night at Micky's bar, one day a week, West Hollywood caters to the white gay male. For every 2 black people walking Santa Monica to hit up their club, there's 30 more whites. End of story. Nothing you think you know (from possibly living here) would suggest otherwise. And if you've read the post above mine, I'm not the only commenter who knows it.

Last edited by bpeeps; 06-26-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I hate the break it to you, but LA-area bar owners target whomever they think they can make the most money from. They must still think gay white men (and I guess Hispanics now too) are a solid target for paying high cover charges and buying expensive drinks. Bars all about economics.
This is the perfect example of how ingrained racism is within our society, emulating itself in economics. This is why Walmart is located in Panorama City and not Brentwood. This is why Beverly Hills fights constantly to keep a metro line out of their city. There's no need for me to go into a deep economical discussion, if you can't understand my point thus far, there's no leading the sheep to water.

Furthermore, most gay bars in LA don't have cover charges until late at night. And when they do have a charge its 5 - 10 dollars. Go to any straight club in Hollywood (Happy Endings, Boulevard 3, Create, Lexington Social House, Avalon) and their cover can be upwards of $20. All drinks at popular establishments are expensive, this is not something conducive to the orientation of club-goers. It's LA, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Many of us are very well aware of dirty laundry in the community and are not willing to air it out here for the entertainment of others.
I am thankful that the civil rights leaders who got us where we are today didn't think in this "let it be" mindset. Continue propagating and living in a hate filled society. I'll continue to volunteer and educate the ignorant in hopes to inspire change in our future, even if it's as simple as correcting a viewpoint showcased on an internet forum. People read these forums mainly for advice, let's not give them misinformation.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:13 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
And if you said that, you would be wrong. You usually have great insight in a majority of topics posted at CD. Since you are of neither minority discussed in this thread, your insight fails short and your experience in the matter is zero. I think I remember you saying you lived in West Hollywood once upon a time? Through the looking glass, it is. While blacks or latinos may come out Friday for hip-hop night at Micky's bar, one day a week, West Hollywood caters to the white gay male. For every 2 black people walking Santa Monica to hit up their club, there's 30 more whites. End of story. Nothing you think you know (from possibly living here) would suggest otherwise. And if you've read the post above mine, I'm not the only commenter who knows it.
How do you know I'm neither minority discussed in the thread? That's some assumption.

I've lived walking distance from the gay bars for over 3 years so I know what's going on. During the day West Hollywood is pretty white but at night it's majority minority without question. Latinos and Asians are pretty normally represented (and since Latinos are 50% of LA county they are about 50% of bar patrons), but blacks are definitely out in larger numbers than their proportionate population in LA county. Again I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all, I'm just saying it's totally wrong to call West Hollywood white dominated.

Now if you're talking about sexual preferences (perhaps racism) in dating where whites have the advantage, that's a separate issue, and that extends to the straight community too.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
How do you know I'm neither minority discussed in the thread? That's some assumption.

I've lived walking distance from the gay bars for over 3 years so I know what's going on. During the day West Hollywood is pretty white but at night it's majority minority without question. Latinos and Asians are pretty normally represented (and since Latinos are 50% of LA county they are about 50% of bar patrons), but blacks are definitely out in larger numbers than their proportionate population in LA county. Again I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all, I'm just saying it's totally wrong to call West Hollywood white dominated.

Now if you're talking about sexual preferences (perhaps racism) in dating where whites have the advantage, that's a separate issue, and that extends to the straight community too.
Given the way you respond to posts in this community, you aren't black. That is guaranteed. You could be gay, but I highly doubt that too. What tells me you aren't is the fact that you need to clarify you lived walking distance from gay bars, not that you have actively experienced them. Thirdly, since you haven't outright said you are in clarification, and are leaving the assumption up in the air, you aren't. Lastly, the fact that you call it "sexual preference" shows just how much of a minority you are not. If you can prove me wrong, please do.

Until then, keep trying it dude. Because you know nothing, Jon Snow.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Given the way you respond to posts in this community, you aren't black. That is guaranteed. You could be gay, but I highly doubt that too. What tells me you aren't is the fact that you need to clarify you lived walking distance from gay bars, not that you have actively experienced them. Thirdly, since you haven't outright said you are in clarification, and are leaving the assumption up in the air, you aren't. Lastly, the fact that you call it "sexual preference" shows just how much of a minority you are not. If you can prove me wrong, please do.

Until then, keep trying it dude. Because you know nothing, Jon Snow.
Wow, how can you tell someone's race from their posts? Is a black poster supposed to act a certain way to prove their black?

Even if I'm a straight person living in West Hollywood, I could still see what's going on at the gay bars. Maybe I have a lot of gay friends and go to gay bars regularly.

Or I could be a gay person in West Hollywood who never goes to bars but walks by them.

Or maybe I'm none of the above. I could just be a gay person who goes to gay bars all the time and knows the current scene well.

The point is, I know what's going on there and it's a diverse scene. You don't have to be gay to know what's going in a gayborhood.

Last edited by disgruntled la native; 06-27-2014 at 03:38 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Wow, how can you tell someone's race from their posts? Is a black poster supposed to act a certain way to prove their black? Or I could be a gay person in West Hollywood who never goes to bars but walks by them.
You aren't, end of story. You don't have the life experience of either minority group and it is clearly evident in your replies and how you're approaching the subject. The fact that you're suggesting any different is extremely gross and I hope you one day educate yourself on why.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
You aren't, end of story. You don't have the life experience of either minority group and it is clearly evident in your replies and how you're approaching the subject. The fact that you're suggesting any different is extremely gross and I hope you one day educate yourself on why.
And what are you? Both minorities?

I'm an expert on West Hollywood. I've spent a ton of time in "Boystown" and I know who is going there and what's going on. Have you?

Old 06-27-2014, 04:49 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
I haven't experienced any exclusively anything LGBT clubs here in greater LA, but some of the theme nights advertised are downright offensive. I went to one in Long Beach not knowing it was a Middle Eastern themed night (I spent most of my life in SW Houston so a big chunk of my cultural experience has been with people from oil producing countries). It was all kinds of stereotyped weirdness. We didn't stay too long. And it didn't seem to attract many of the folks its theme intended.

What about the Dolphin Bar in Redondo? I haven't been, but have heard it typically has a larger percentage of lgbt african-americans.

Interesting topic! Thanks for posting about it. We have so much history that is quickly forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles