Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 02:07 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
Concert wise, if have to say the NY,NJ,PA area dominates the music scene. There are aimply so many bands that come to NY especially. If a band is from Europe, chances are their first show in the states is going to be NYC. One being the recognition of NYC, and B being it's simply closer to fly out there.

I'm a frequent concert goer and that's one of the few things I'll probably miss moving out to LA. But I'm sure there are still plenty of good concerts and indie shows around on the west coast.

Disagree with this. I lived in the NYC area way back in the late 90's. Yes, as for number of Jazz venues NYC beats LA for sure. Otherwise, LA matches NYC in live music opportunities from small shows to large concert venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 PM

149 posts, read 232,188 times
As someone who frequents LA and NYC ...

...if there is an overall difference, it is negligible.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Rank the best cities in the US for live music and the music scene overall.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:48 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
If I get the chance to relocate to LA LA Land (I'm still waiting on the job offer) THIS is going to be my favorite part of this wonderful city. Here in AZ, I go to a few shows a week, and our music scene is W. E. A. K.

As for Echo Park/Silver Lake/Downtown....what venues should I be looking into? I'm a rock and roll kid and the wifey LOVES Alt Nation...
I do some music writing - The Echoplex (Echo Park), The Satellite (Silver Lake), Bootleg Hifi (Westlake), The Smell (DTLA), The Regent (DTLA), Los Globos (Echo Park), The Ace Hotel (DTLA), The Orpheum (DTLA), Henry Fonda Theater (Hollywood), The Troubadour (West Hollywood), El Rey (Miracle Mile) and Jewel's Catch One (Mid City) are where 99.99% of bands play that I cover.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:06 PM

490 posts, read 660,337 times
The EDM scene is very strong in LA, there are many raves and music festivals throughout the year. Many more when compared to eastern cities. Not to forget, Coachella, which is not technically LA but only 1.5 away frequented by the many hipsters/college students/high schoolers in LA

Old 01-25-2015, 08:53 AM

317 posts, read 403,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Disagree with this. I lived in the NYC area way back in the late 90's. Yes, as for number of Jazz venues NYC beats LA for sure. Otherwise, LA matches NYC in live music opportunities from small shows to large concert venues.
Glad I was wrong then, because I plan on getting out of the east coast.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:02 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
Glad I was wrong then, because I plan on getting out of the east coast.
Well, you can report back and tell us your impressions when you arrive. I am comparing the two cities circa 2000 so lots could have changed. But I suspect you won't be too disappointed....

Old 01-26-2015, 07:02 AM

170 posts, read 234,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I do some music writing - The Echoplex (Echo Park), The Satellite (Silver Lake), Bootleg Hifi (Westlake), The Smell (DTLA), The Regent (DTLA), Los Globos (Echo Park), The Ace Hotel (DTLA), The Orpheum (DTLA), Henry Fonda Theater (Hollywood), The Troubadour (West Hollywood), El Rey (Miracle Mile) and Jewel's Catch One (Mid City) are where 99.99% of bands play that I cover.
Thanks for the reply munchitup. Sounds like there is plenty to see/hear in the area.

What genre do you cover? I'm a rock/punk rock kid at heart (I was listening to Hot Water Music's "Caution" on the way to work this morning...)

Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Thanks for the reply munchitup. Sounds like there is plenty to see/hear in the area.

What genre do you cover? I'm a rock/punk rock kid at heart (I was listening to Hot Water Music's "Caution" on the way to work this morning...)
Indie / alternative - lots of opportunities to see bands like HWM in LA. However there isn't really much of a true punk community here in LA like there once was in decades past. There are still hundreds of punk bands here in LA, just the scene is more dispersed.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 AM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianista View Post
what type of music do people in LA prefer
There is a lot of banda music on the FM dial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles