Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,570,092 times

Advertisements

I'd like to add that the 119 degree high was reached in July, 2006, not October. It was a Saturday, and I stayed inside all day! Even in Sherman Oaks it was "only" 113! By the time the cool air from the window a/c unit had passed through two fans on its way across the room, the air was already significantly warmer. As I recall, it was hot and humid, and didn't cool off much at night. The weather was miserable for almost a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,074,600 times
This has to be the rare thread where the answers to the OP's question were in all agreement (if not a few posters between themselves).

Old 08-30-2014, 02:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,573,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Jeunet View Post
LOL. "Woodland Hells."

Definitely the hottest part of LA. Just coming from NoHo to WH (visit my friend there weekly), I notice between a 8-15 degree difference on my car's thermostat. It's those damn Santa Monica mountains that are just tall enough to keep WH like an oven.

Ironically the east valley gets cooled more than the west valley because of the lower lying mountains on the east. Might be good opportunity to dynamite a few un-utilized mountains in the west to let some "ocean breeze" peek through.
I'm surprised no one ever proposed to do that. I know it would never ever happen, but if they flattened out a mile wide swath through Topanga Canyon, just took away the hills and lowered it to a slow grade between Woodland Hill's elevation and Malibu's....

Would that completely change the climate of the SFV? It would do wonders for land value if it did. They could also put a freeway through there and upgrade PCH. Again, it would never happen, but I'm wondering if at some point anyone ever proposed this. It would also open up Topanga Canyon to thousands of new homes and clean out the old hippies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles