Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcheronthewall View Post
A lot of orthodox jews walking around La Brea and Hancock park area. I saw them daily on La Brea when I lived in the miracle mile area.
There are also some secular Jews living in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Our son in law's parents were born in other countries; his dad, in Hungry and his mom in Russia.. both family relocated to America many decades ago and they were raised in Chicago. Eventually the came to the Los Angeles area and settled in SFV. Our daughter met her husband at CSUN which is over 50% Jewish I beleive. Probably you will not find as many Orthodox Jews in the valley as you might find in the Fairfax are. If this is important to you, consentrate on the west part of Los Angeles, otherwise I would consider the valley. It is more diversified.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:27 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
I've noticed the jewish community to be largely Persian and Israeli. I've eaten at a lot of israeli jewish cafés and have met mostly Persian jews outside of the American Jews who come from mostly Ashkenazi decent.

The valley village area has a lot of jews too, a big Sephardic community.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,310,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I've noticed the jewish community to be largely Persian and Israeli. I've eaten at a lot of israeli jewish cafés and have met mostly Persian jews outside of the American Jews who come from mostly Ashkenazi decent.

The valley village area has a lot of jews too, a big Sephardic community.
Most Jews in LA are Ashkenazi and very Americanized, but you're right the Persians and Israelis stand out because their culture is so strong. While the ordinary American Ashkenazis barely stand out from WASPs.

To sum it up for the OP:

Westside (Santa monica, brentwood, bel air, palisades, venice, mar vista, even culver city) is mostly americanized ashkenazi Jews who tend to be secular

With the exception of Beverly Hills and Westwod which have a lot of Persians who are religious or secular

Fairfax/Pico Robertson/Beverlywood heavily Ashkenazi religious Jewish population. Some Israelis (most who are Sephardic) there too

Southern SFV from Calabasas to Studio City - a healthy mix of everything. But further east (Sherman Oaks, Studio City) tends to be more secular than Calabasas or Tarzana.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:12 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,797 times
Don't know much about the Jewish population in LA, except that whenever I am in the Fairfax district, it's fun seeing the little ones all dressed up in their cultural attire. hehe

Also, our current mayor Eric Garcetti is Russian Jewish (through his mother) and Italian-Mexican (through his father). Not sure that really translates to anything, other than just a fun fact to throw out there The mayor has described himself as both proudly Jewish and proudly Chicano (a term used by Mexican Americans, mostly from California/Los Angeles, who identify with the homegrown American culture of Mexicans who grew up and usually were born in the U.S.)

Meet LA's New Mayor

Old 01-02-2015, 12:27 PM

276 posts, read 330,726 times
Los Angeles area has much less Jewish people and Jewish influence, and the Jews in LA area are mainly Persians. I know Beverly Hills has many secular Persian Jews. There are Kosher restaurants and Jewish places in LA, but not as in NYC.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:32 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Don't know much about the Jewish population in LA, except that whenever I am in the Fairfax district, it's fun seeing the little ones all dressed up in their cultural attire. hehe

Also, our current mayor Eric Garcetti is Russian Jewish (through his mother) and Italian-Mexican (through his father). Not sure that really translates to anything, other than just a fun fact to throw out there The mayor has described himself as both proudly Jewish and proudly Chicano (a term used by Mexican Americans, mostly from California/Los Angeles, who identify with the homegrown American culture of Mexicans who grew up and usually were born in the U.S.)

Meet LA's New Mayor
Wow, Garcetti is pretty much the cultural representation of LA.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:26 PM

733 posts, read 940,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Wow, Garcetti is pretty much the cultural representation of LA.
Russian, Jewish, Italian and Mexican? I don't think so.

If any 4 were to be chosen it would probably be Mexican American, Mainstream White American, Filipino American and Black American.

I was making this personification of LA on the Sims and I made her 37.5% Mexican 12.5% Salvadoran, 25% White, 12.5% Black, 6.25% Filipina, 6.25% Korean. Not sure how plausible that mix is in this day and age though

Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post

If any 4 were to be chosen it would probably be Mexican American, Mainstream White American, Filipino American and Black American.

I was making this personification of LA on the Sims and I made her 37.5% Mexican 12.5% Salvadoran, 25% White, 12.5% Black, 6.25% Filipina, 6.25% Korean. Not sure how plausible that mix is in this day and age though
Both Jews and Koreans have a strong (disproportionate) influence despite their actual percentage. Part of it being that they have a longer history in the area. Filipinos have a strong influence in San Diego and Seattle, and a shared one with Mexicans in the rural areas. Central Americans are too new to have much influence (though it will happen as they continue to grow).

Old 01-02-2015, 05:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post

That black figure is way too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles