Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:58 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Restaurant food in LA is a bit more expensive than AZ but groceries are about the same. IMO Ralph's is the worst place to buy stuff like trash bags. Way cheaper at Target. It's not an inexpensive grocery store, either. Sprouts, Trader Joes, and even the house brand at Whole Foods is cheaper than Ralph's.
Stater Brothers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,565,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
unfinishingly big burritos
Is that adv your creation?

Old 03-26-2015, 03:43 AM

47 posts, read 145,591 times
I'll trade places with you OP. I live in New Jersey.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM

986 posts, read 1,867,129 times
I think you just chose the wrong burrito spot, OP. There are much better deals to be had out there.

Also, I second the statement that Ralph's is the wrong place to buy trash bags. I only go to Ralph's if I need something in an emergency. Their prices aren't great. They are actually quite expensive!

I buy my food from a combination of Trader Joe's (90% of my grocery shopping is done here - produce, yogurt, meat, bread, hard alcohol, etc), farmers markets (fresh produce & greens), and Target (nuts, granola, seltzer, beer and wine) for the remainder. I also shop at Target for shower products, cleaning products, garbage bags, etc. The 99c stores out here are great for things like toilet paper, paper towels, and dish soap. Also I'll usually make a Costco trip every 2 months with friends who have a membership and I stock up on some snacks and alcohol there. You can get great deals in LA -- you just have to know where to look.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:04 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,831,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I think you just chose the wrong burrito spot, OP. There are much better deals to be had out there.

Also, I second the statement that Ralph's is the wrong place to buy trash bags. I only go to Ralph's if I need something in an emergency. Their prices aren't great. They are actually quite expensive!

I buy my food from a combination of Trader Joe's (90% of my grocery shopping is done here - produce, yogurt, meat, bread, hard alcohol, etc), farmers markets (fresh produce & greens), and Target (nuts, granola, seltzer, beer and wine) for the remainder. I also shop at Target for shower products, cleaning products, garbage bags, etc. The 99c stores out here are great for things like toilet paper, paper towels, and dish soap. Also I'll usually make a Costco trip every 2 months with friends who have a membership and I stock up on some snacks and alcohol there. You can get great deals in LA -- you just have to know where to look.
This is what I do also: minus Target for any food products, and add Ralph's for meats.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:40 PM

129 posts, read 227,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaredalot View Post
Thanks for this And I know exactly what you mean. I'm on my second week here, and I notice myself falling into the same rut of home, work, home, work, home, maybe gym, home, etc. I've been out to a few restaurants but nearly all of them are near my house (I'm lazy). I'm forcing myself to explore this weekend--taking a trip to San Diego (not really exploring LA, lol, but something I've wanted to do for a while) and am going to hit up some restaurants in DTLA and an artist workshop in North Hollywood.
About San Diego assuming you're on the 5 South, start with North County (after the San Clemente border into Oceanside pull off around Carlsbad Village and head down PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy) for a bit there's a nice taste of SoCal for a newcomer unless know where to go, start there on your way toward SD..enjoy!

Old 03-26-2015, 02:12 PM

170 posts, read 234,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
Hey OP. How is the traffic? I mean, I know its terrible, but you can deal with on a daily basis ok?
Yeah, it hasn't been so bad for me. I drive south on the 405 from Marina Del Rey to the 105 into Hawthorne. The traffic/GPS app WAZE has been amazing help. Although, I'm on a opposite schedule than most people (I work from 2pm to 2am most days.) A normal/standard work hours would be infinitely worse. I tend to have an easy drive now, it's going to get much worse next week (I'll be driving from WeHo through town into Hawthorne. It's going to suck big'ns)

Old 03-26-2015, 05:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,312 times
It takes years to get to know LA. A lot of people give up after a short time. I've been here nearly 17 years and I'm still rediscovering this city. Just don't get stuck going out only in your own neighborhood, venture out and see as much of LA as you can. Welcome bruh!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:09 PM

192 posts, read 249,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
About San Diego assuming you're on the 5 South, start with North County (after the San Clemente border into Oceanside pull off around Carlsbad Village and head down PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy) for a bit there's a nice taste of SoCal for a newcomer unless know where to go, start there on your way toward SD..enjoy!
Thanks, man! I'm leaving super early on Saturday--like 6 or 7AM--so I think that drive down will be fun with not as many cars on the road. Any recs for things to do in San Diego? I'm going to SeaWorld (LOL) and checking out La Jolla, a few restaurants, and some museums. Anything I might be missing.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Yeah, it hasn't been so bad for me. I drive south on the 405 from Marina Del Rey to the 105 into Hawthorne. The traffic/GPS app WAZE has been amazing help. Although, I'm on a opposite schedule than most people (I work from 2pm to 2am most days.) A normal/standard work hours would be infinitely worse. I tend to have an easy drive now, it's going to get much worse next week (I'll be driving from WeHo through town into Hawthorne. It's going to suck big'ns)

Well why did you pick WH to live in? You do that when your job is located in Century City.

Don't blame LA traffic when you set yourself up for a difficult commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles