Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:11 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaredalot View Post
I was just in San Diego yesterday and found it pretty underwhelming. There was no real energy to the city despite the fact that it's quite large in terms of population. I could see myself being really bored if I had to live there longterm.
Well...it gives me incentive to focus on the job, I guess you could say. The beach, beer and tacos are ultimately not the reasons I'm moving to S.D., after all. And yeah, if I need to be reenergized, L.A. is still there! The Bay Area is still also a 1-1.5 hour flight away, as it provides its own energy that I also like.

And, for what it's worth--and I've been to SD a number of times--I don't find the people of SD to be more or less friendly than Angelenos/Greater L.A. folk. If anything, they're less helpful and more unprofessional than the folks in L.A. overall. Speaking in generalities, of course... But since SD is still a major metropolis and border city, I'm sure I'll at least find some good microbrews and tacos to savor in Carlsbad on the weekends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 11:28 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaredalot View Post
I was just in San Diego yesterday and found it pretty underwhelming. There was no real energy to the city despite the fact that it's quite large in terms of population. I could see myself being really bored if I had to live there longterm.
San Diego has changed a lot, but it still has a very relaxed feeling to it. It's bustling compared to what it used to be. It's not bustling but it needn't be. It still has held on to that relaxed "California surf and sun" vibe that Los Angeles lost around 1980. A lot of Midwesterners moved there in the WWII/post-war era to work in defense industries and IMO have positively influenced it with a very down home, family friendly, "All American" type of vibe that led to the moniker "Des-Moines-By-the-Sea", that's faded to an extent, but is still apparent in parts of north and east SD county. Pacific Beach still feels very Beach Boys, like the LA Beach Cities felt 20 years ago.

There is also a visible middle class, and middle class safe/somewhat affordable communities in the area that aren't a two hour drive from work, which for me is something very positive compared to Los Angeles and OC which is very much stratified between wealthy neighborhoods, and poor and gang ridden communities. The areas that can be called middle class in this area can be counted on one hand, and thus you have lots of folks spending five hours a day in their cars driving from places like Redlands or Yucaipa to work in LA.

I like San Diego, a lot. It doesn't need to be anything more than what it is, a beautiful and family friendly mid-sized city with a very good economy. If you need big city excitement, you can hop on the 5 northbound and come here to LA.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Because the #1 thing for me was to make sure my wife was safe and comfortable by herself when I'm working until the early morning. I'll take a **** commute if the other side is she is walking the dogs in a highly rated, overly safe neighborhood. Priorities, my friend...

And you could have found that in other areas as well. A big priority when you move to LA is not setting yourself up for a long commute. WH is not immune to crime. In fact over the years there have been several incidents of violence, just a few months ago one apt building made the news twice. One involved a home invasion and the poor guy who called the police ended up getting shot and killed by them.

You honestly haven't been here long enough to form an accurate opinion.

Saying parking sucks because you're in WH, well yes it can, but if you lived elsewhere in LA it wouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:48 PM

170 posts, read 234,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And you could have found that in other areas as well. A big priority when you move to LA is not setting yourself up for a long commute. WH is not immune to crime. In fact over the years there have been several incidents of violence, just a few months ago one apt building made the news twice. One involved a home invasion and the poor guy who called the police ended up getting shot and killed by them.

Saying parking sucks because you're in WH, well yes it can, but if you lived elsewhere in LA it wouldn't be an issue.
Forgetting about your direct rudeness, would it make you feel better about my decision if I told you my wife will probably work at Cedars?

And how long do we have to be here before I can post my opinion again and have it be valid? I'd like to know my time table.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:55 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Post Title: I've been in LA for two weeks. My initial reactions...

My initial reactions...

MY INITIAL REACTIONS...

Not sure how the OP could have made it any clearer.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:43 PM

496 posts, read 574,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Well...it gives me incentive to focus on the job, I guess you could say. The beach, beer and tacos are ultimately not the reasons I'm moving to S.D., after all. And yeah, if I need to be reenergized, L.A. is still there! The Bay Area is still also a 1-1.5 hour flight away, as it provides its own energy that I also like.

And, for what it's worth--and I've been to SD a number of times--I don't find the people of SD to be more or less friendly than Angelenos/Greater L.A. folk. If anything, they're less helpful and more unprofessional than the folks in L.A. overall. Speaking in generalities, of course... But since SD is still a major metropolis and border city, I'm sure I'll at least find some good microbrews and tacos to savor in Carlsbad on the weekends!
yea SD is cool for nice weekend getaway but if u are used to the hustle and bustle of LA, u will not get that from SD. LA is more all around. U can get hustle and bustle and laid back in LA. SD is one dimensional. But u can still come back to LA for the city

Old 03-30-2015, 06:45 PM

25 posts, read 33,284 times
It is a bit sad when so many here can only say driving around is their fun in LA. They will write back *now* and say, "Beach, Mountains, etc" But most work way too much to enjoy those things. The city is so spread out that driving is all you end up doing. You could have stayed (if work permitted) in any small town usa and drove around for 'fun.' I think it is a very over rated place. I do like living ON the beach when I did but if you cannot afford that then it is like any other city. But cost more. I am not being literal but you all know what I mean.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:47 PM

496 posts, read 574,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
San Diego has changed a lot, but it still has a very relaxed feeling to it. It's bustling compared to what it used to be. It's not bustling but it needn't be. It still has held on to that relaxed "California surf and sun" vibe that Los Angeles lost around 1980. A lot of Midwesterners moved there in the WWII/post-war era to work in defense industries and IMO have positively influenced it with a very down home, family friendly, "All American" type of vibe that led to the moniker "Des-Moines-By-the-Sea", that's faded to an extent, but is still apparent in parts of north and east SD county. Pacific Beach still feels very Beach Boys, like the LA Beach Cities felt 20 years ago.

There is also a visible middle class, and middle class safe/somewhat affordable communities in the area that aren't a two hour drive from work, which for me is something very positive compared to Los Angeles and OC which is very much stratified between wealthy neighborhoods, and poor and gang ridden communities. The areas that can be called middle class in this area can be counted on one hand, and thus you have lots of folks spending five hours a day in their cars driving from places like Redlands or Yucaipa to work in LA.

I like San Diego, a lot. It doesn't need to be anything more than what it is, a beautiful and family friendly mid-sized city with a very good economy. If you need big city excitement, you can hop on the 5 northbound and come here to LA.
that laid back beach vibe that you say is missing in LA is very much so alive in the south bay beach cities. in a VERY big way. Lol

Manhanttan beach, hermosa (bromosa) lol, and redondo beach should give u your laid back feel without driving allllll the way down to SD to go to PB.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 PM

170 posts, read 234,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Post Title: I've been in LA for two weeks. My initial reactions...

My initial reactions...

MY INITIAL REACTIONS...

Not sure how the OP could have made it any clearer.
Yeah, well apparently initial reactions don't hold any validity around here. My mistake.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
that laid back beach vibe that you say is missing in LA is very much so alive in the south bay beach cities. in a VERY big way. Lol

Manhanttan beach, hermosa (bromosa) lol, and redondo beach should give u your laid back feel without driving allllll the way down to SD to go to PB.
I was in Manhattan Beach recently and it felt very yuppie and the people were very Silicon Valley. Redondo Beach maybe, but not for long..there is too much techie money floating around in that part of the county for the laid back vibe to persist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles