Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM

28 posts, read 79,049 times

Advertisements

It's always noticeably left out of "best of" lists that other major cities are in. Even in the public policy polling, it was one of only three cities that have a negative view outweigh the positive...only in front of Detroit and Oakland. Is there a legitimate reason or is it just people being ignorant?

Most-liked cities: Seattle and Portland tops, Detroit dead last (poll) | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongtheDogs View Post
It's always noticeably left out of "best of" lists that other major cities are in. Even in the public policy polling, it was one of only three cities that have a negative view outweigh the positive...only in front of Detroit and Oakland. Is there a legitimate reason or is it just people being ignorant?

Most-liked cities: Seattle and Portland tops, Detroit dead last (poll) | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
I have no idea why either. It's clearly the best city in America in my opinion. The real level of diversity at all levels, the natural landscape that blends in with the major city is unmatched. The eclectic little neighborhoods that border the city are outstanding, and you can live anywhere around the city without it feeling like major disconnect.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times
Because it is one of the more difficult cities to "visit". People come to LA as tourists and go to Hollywood and Disneyland and Universal Studios and say "well, that kind of sucked".

It's a difficult city to get to know, and it takes time, and for those reasons many people from out of town rate it very low.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:49 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Because it is one of the more difficult cities to "visit". People come to LA as tourists and go to Hollywood and Disneyland and Universal Studios and say "well, that kind of sucked".

It's a difficult city to get to know, and it takes time, and for those reasons many people from out of town rate it very low.
Very true. At first glance, nearly every person that visits is automatically going to think, "what a dump" ! They will see Hollywood and be let down. They'll tour Universal Studios and go, "the one in Florida is a lot bigger and cooler". They will simply just want to head to the beach.

I know when I first arrived I was like, "what the hell did I get myself into". As I rode the Metro for the first time on the NoHo station to Hollywood highland, seeing the homeless aboard, little kids selling you gum, young girls singing for money and the multitudes of working class people all going the same direction, I knew I had left middle America and entered into something new.

I knew I could handle it and thought I just needed to give it a chance and boy did it work out! The city has to grow on you and you have to dig deeper to find the real LA. You will get to love it's streets, it's sights and sounds.

Tourists though are thinking that it's going to be too much of a glamorous town with celebs and stars everywhere, when it's really the most working class city I've ever been to.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:07 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongtheDogs View Post

Since your info doesn't say - have you been to LA? Live here? Studied local politics, financial, education, traffic, infrastructure issues?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 PM

28 posts, read 79,049 times
Ah yes, I live in Westwood.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Los Angeles is a world-renowned icon. It is not small town everybody say good morning America. And some visiting people are just unrealstic and unfair, expecting way too much from what is essentially a vary large place that is so much more than a tourist resort like Hollywod or Disneyland. The city of Los Angeles is place where many grew up as people just as real as the tourists, who actually work and live. To hate it sounds more like plain old envy.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Not surprisingly, that poll also noted "a recent Yahoo News story found Seattle and Portland to be the top two best cities for hipsters."

Does that constitute the greatest attribute a city can have? If so, they can have it. Methinks hipsters polled hipsters on this one.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
it would be the greatest place on earth if you kicked all the scum out. my grandma says that los angels was paradise in the 1950's. now days it's a pit.
There is no place in the united states that's warm that isn't a hole because of illegal immigration....

Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
my grandma says that los angels was paradise in the 1950's. now days it's a pit.
You mean, back when the white people controlled what the "others" were doing, and where they could live? That 1950's? Gee, what a paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles