Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:53 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Awesome, so "technically" you don't know what you are talking about.

Maybe YOU should stop jumping to conclusions, especially when it seems everything you know about L.A. you learned from your Grandma.
I'm from LA but I grew up in the 80's so I have no life expierence of the 1950's anywhere.

LA sucks unless you have a pile of $$$$$...........good day sir
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I heard so many bad things about Los Angeles, and it's really a city you can't know what it is like until you actually go there. It has no center. It is kind of a weird city.

I avoided going for years. Then I finally went in June and I'm moving there soon. I loved it from the moment I got on the FlyAway.

Of course LA isn't perfect, and there were things I didn't like, but the city was the complete opposite of what I was expecting.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,657 times
LA has been the subject of a lot of misinformed journalism/writing, a fair bit of it by New York/East Coast writers. I lived in New York myself, so I understand how alien Los Angeles could seem to a resident of Manhattan. They--and many people--think Los Angeles isn't meaningfully urban. But it is, it's urban from Pasadena to Santa Monica, from San Fernando to Long Beach. As many people have said, LA isn't built around a single center, though Downtown LA is improving. You have to travel if you want to experience LA's museums, its neighborhoods, its food. LA Times food critic Jonathan Gold, the only restaurant critic ever to win a Pulitzer Prize, says LA is the best food city in the country. I think LA's reputation has improved a lot in recent years, but it's still often misunderstood.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
In my opinion...society prefers blandness. The rest of the country offers that in spades. LA isn't a conformist city. While it's politically closer to communism (although I think that gets exaggerated, it's just further left) than most of the US - the other cities in the US are so conformist, they might as well be communist, since part of communism is everyone being the same.

Then you always hear so-called "experts" try to blame mass consumerism on TV shows, movies, commercials.

Kids want Iphones because they see them on movies made in LA. That sort of mentality gets into the rest of the country, they blame California. Yet, they want them too.

Last edited by moonsparkle; 10-23-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
LA is massive city in proportion. It's good that way, nothing in LA is cramped and everything is spread out..

The tourist destinations are boring as sin.

Los Angeles is not good for tourist I think, since their really isn't much centralised tourist destinations.

It's awesome for regular visitors who know where to go.

In my opinion 90% of Los Angeles county is cleaner, much much better maintained and much more convienant to live in than most major cities in the world.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
All major cities in the world have a centralised "downtown" area.

Los Angeles doesn't revolve around DT.

Which I also think is good.

Los Angeles is truly unique in a good way.

Every single person I know who has visited Los Angeles has loved it there.

I really don't know where the LA 'critics' are from..

Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Portland and Seattle right now are "hot" with young professionals relocating from around the nation. LA is not so much due to its economy and its price. Personally though, I think LA is the greatest city in the US and if money or family wasn't an issue, that is where I would live. The thing that's great about LA is no matter what your lifestyle or preferences, you can find it there.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Los Angeles is a great city. I think the world looks down on LA because of how it's run. Look at how the government (Mayor, City Council, Chief of Police) running the city.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:07 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

Surely we're not including Magic Mountain in this, are we? Their rollercoasters rule. Knott's Scary Farm around Halloween is quite cool as well.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
LA is massive city in proportion. It's good that way, nothing in LA is cramped and everything is spread out..

Los Angeles is not good for tourist I think, since their really isn't much centralised tourist destinations.

It's awesome for regular visitors who know where to go.

In my opinion 90% of Los Angeles county is cleaner, much much better maintained and much more convienant to live in than most major cities in the world.
One of the biggest complaints about Los Angeles is how it is over-crowded. It is the second or third most densely populated city in the country, ignoring simpleton stats like overall density. Yes it is massive but unfortunately (or fortunately) a huge proportion of those areas are heavily populated.

Agree that LA is not very tourist-friendly - especially for those that do no research before visiting. Not sure I agree LA County is cleaner than most, but I prefer my gritty neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles