Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:12 PM

396 posts, read 906,497 times

Advertisements

LA is a collection of neighborhoods. It's hard to get a vibe for the "city" because each neighborhood is so distinctive.

But, that being said, LA probably has the most misconceptions about it in the world. There are still many people who think of LA as being stuck in the early 90s gangsta ways. Even Hollywood has changed considerably since the 90s warzone days. I mean, one of the biggest shocks of LA, to me, was how cold the beach is!

LA is one of the greatest cities in the world. Most of those lists are for insecure people to feel better about themselves. A lot of people don't like diversity. And a lot of people are intimidated by LA.

Plus it's easy to hate the Lakers. And LA not having an NFL team means that many cities are at constant fear of LA stealing their football team. More and more people identify with sports and make it so personal and part of their lives. When you associate a city with it's sports team, and sports is that big in your life, it's easy to hate.

Plus some people who move here, who think they are the next greatest thing ever, become bitter when they don't "make it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 03:45 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongtheDogs View Post
It's always noticeably left out of "best of" lists that other major cities are in. Even in the public policy polling, it was one of only three cities that have a negative view outweigh the positive...only in front of Detroit and Oakland. Is there a legitimate reason or is it just people being ignorant?

Most-liked cities: Seattle and Portland tops, Detroit dead last (poll) | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
If you're talking about polls and articles then sure but as far as people, most people I meet when I'm not in Cali say they'd love to live in Los Angeles. But I'm with BarcelonaFan, LA is the best city in the world!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Because it is one of the more difficult cities to "visit". People come to LA as tourists and go to Hollywood and Disneyland and Universal Studios and say "well, that kind of sucked".

It's a difficult city to get to know, and it takes time, and for those reasons many people from out of town rate it very low.
Yeah it is. It's really hard to get to know. I totally agree. I been here almost 15 years and still discover parts I've never been to. I mean I still haven't really explored Silver Lake, Echo Park and Los Feliz.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
it would be the greatest place on earth if you kicked all the scum out. my grandma says that los angels was paradise in the 1950's. now days it's a pit.
There is no place in the united states that's warm that isn't a hole because of illegal immigration....
Yeah you sound like you just are a nice piece of American pie! I love that about LA!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,711,006 times
Jealousy.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
All major cities in the world have a centralised "downtown" area.

Los Angeles doesn't revolve around DT.

Which I also think is good.

Los Angeles is truly unique in a good way.

Every single person I know who has visited Los Angeles has loved it there.

I really don't know where the LA 'critics' are from..

Yeah but DTLA in 10 years is going to be central, hopefully the transit system improves because it sucks when you know on a good day you can drive to DT in 10 minutes but it takes 45 when it's traffic...still, I love this city.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
One of the biggest complaints about Los Angeles is how it is over-crowded. It is the second or third most densely populated city in the country, ignoring simpleton stats like overall density. Yes it is massive but unfortunately (or fortunately) a huge proportion of those areas are heavily populated.

Agree that LA is not very tourist-friendly - especially for those that do no research before visiting. Not sure I agree LA County is cleaner than most, but I prefer my gritty neighborhood.
I don't think LA is overcrowded in the same since that NYC is. I mean you can drive down the street in LA and not see people out and about like you do in NYC. They said even though the movie, "I am Legend" took place in LA, they made it in NYC because the contrast was stronger when they were showing no people out and about in a place that's usually as dense as NYC but in LA you can turn a corner and it will be like middle america on a street.

I don think as far as traffic though, yeah. But it's so spread out here I don't see it as that crowded.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Because it makes people feel better about the horrible dumps they live in. The further north you go on the west coast the more people feel the need to look down on LA in order to justify their own pathetic existence.

This is one of my favorite aspects about LA people. They really don't care what others think of their city. They have better things to worry about.
Agreed. I notice that people in the Bay love to hate on LA.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
LA sickness! You're becoming one of us now!
Right, I remember with Barcelona was dissing on LA in a few threads. Haha, but yeah, whenever I go to a dope city whether on the east coast or out of the country I always say to the wife, "well at least we're going back to LA..."

Old 10-27-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
first of all, I don't think these "best of" mean a thing, but I can think of a few reasons L.A. is left out..The high cost of living,the poor school reputation, and the traffic might be part of it. plus Los Angeles is so spread out, it doesn't have its own personality like some major metro areas. L. A. has always been this way. And yet, with the negatives are positives and obviously a lot of people want to live in the city.
I agree with everything you said except not having it's own personality. LA is just that, a diverse city. You get a different feel in different parts of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles